Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Entering Five Months of Hell

Options
Just had dental implants put in my mouth to replace all my upper choppers. Can only eat "soft" foods for the next few months......anything I can cut with a fork, i.e. fish, pasta, etc. Gonna be hard to bypass steak, brisket, and the like till then.
Arrrrgggghhhh! At least I'll be able to eat regular again when the great eclipse comes later this summer!!
From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Time to get a blender for steak smoothies!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I'm with @Scottborasjr -  no worries with a brisket that cuts with a fork.  That's about the easiest protein fork cutting cook around.  Go for it.  You won't be disappointed.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have two implants.  Can't even fathom getting them all replaced up top.  You're a hero!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Hey, you'll be just fine.
    Takes a few months, but you'll be back eating as you always did.
    I've got a full set since June. Eating corn on the cob, apples, sticky stuff.
    No more pain, and happy.
    Never give up

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have two implants.  Can't even fathom getting them all replaced up top.  You're a hero!
    The implants control your thoughts and expressions.  They can be removed.   I Know how...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    warwoman said:
    Just had dental implants put in my mouth to replace all my upper choppers. Can only eat "soft" foods for the next few months......anything I can cut with a fork, i.e. fish, pasta, etc. Gonna be hard to bypass steak, brisket, and the like till then.
    Arrrrgggghhhh! At least I'll be able to eat regular again when the great eclipse comes later this summer!!
    You should've entered the weight loss contest.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Do you have to floss implants?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Flossing is more for gums, not teeth, right?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Fish, lots of fish.
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    Unfortunately, yes.  Floss and proxibrush.  Food can get trapped under the implant, grow bacteria and cause an infection.  Not fun.  Can even go into the jawbone requiring the implant to be removed.  Then bone graft and start all over again.  Trust me.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    When I got my 2 implants, the surgeon said to get a waterpik and use it every day.  It does a great job.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Just out of curiosity how much do they cost?  Neighbors having it done this year and says it's extremely expensive.  Just curious 
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Just out of curiosity how much do they cost?  Neighbors having it done this year and says it's extremely expensive.  Just curious 
    Mine were about $4000 each. This was for the surgeon for the implants themselves and the dentist for the crowns that go on them.  I am very pleased with mine and will do more in the future if necessary.  If you are going to do many, see if you can just do one side of your mouth at a time - this will let you still eat BBQ on the other side of your mouth.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options

If you do what I did, and replace all the upper teeth, It's what I call my brand new, 2017 Toyota Camry LE!

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    I'm due to pick up a water pic in three weeks and start using it.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I thought this thread was a reference to the end of football season.....
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled Friday.  This was the first weekend in a loooong time I didn't fire up the egg.  Still will be a few more weeks prolly too.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @saluki2007
    ouch!

In December of 1987, i had two impacted lower wisdom teeth pulled and that was miserable.  then three years later, the uppers were yanked, they weren't impacted but both procedures were unpleasant....
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I had the same thing done two years ago, but my process was much more drawn out for reasons that I don't quite understand. I did lose weight. When they were finally done, bliss. The time will go quickly. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia