Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sams VS Costco

Options
pgprescott
pgprescott Posts: 14,544
looking for input and experiences. One the clear winner? 

Comments

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Costco carrys Prime whereas Sams Club only has choice, On the other hand Costco only sells boneless pork butts where Sams Club has bone in. The Costco that I was a member of in Naperville does carry. Prime Packers on a regular basis.
    We now have a new butcher in Oswego (Sages)  and I purchase most of my meat there. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Costco. Better quality of merchandise and much better customer service. Sam's does offer more brand names, though. Locally, people fired from Costco get jobs at Sam's, which is pretty funny.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Costco carrys Prime whereas Sams Club only has choice, On the other hand Costco only sells boneless pork butts where Sams Club has bone in. The Costco that I was a member of in Naperville does carry. Prime Packers on a regular basis.
    We now have a new butcher in Oswego (Sages)  and I purchase most of my meat there. 
    South on 59?  How does the butchers quality and cost compare? I assume a bit more costly but local ?
  • pgprescott
    Options

Costco. Better quality of merchandise and much better customer service. Sam's does offer more brand names, though. Locally, people fired from Costco get jobs at Sam's, which is pretty funny.
    As a small business person, I'm not a fan of Walmart. I live in the Boone docks though and we have limited choices or none at all. Thanks for info. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options

As a small business person, I'm not a fan of Walmart. I live in the Boone docks though and we have limited choices or none at all. Thanks for info. 
    Pete,
    When I first met you last Summer didn't you tell me some meat jobber in a truck came thru Sterling on a weekly basis? At least then I thought you were quite satisfied with the quality - did that change?

As for your question - we have been with SAMS for years out of convenience as COSTCO is much further and a huge number of traffic lights to sit thru to get there. I can go to SAMS on rural roads and only have 2 lights to slow me down. OTOH we buy very little meat there as we have other retail sources in Peoria. I know someday we will join COSTCO as everyone says they are so far superior - just not now.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    RRP said:

Pete,
    When I first met you last Summer didn't you tell me some meat jobber in a truck came thru Sterling on a weekly basis? At least then I thought you were quite satisfied with the quality - did that change?

As for your question - we have been with SAMS for years out of convenience as COSTCO is much further and a huge number of traffic lights to sit thru to get there. I can go to SAMS on rural roads and only have 2 lights to slow me down. OTOH we buy very little meat there as we have other retail sources in Peoria. I know someday we will join COSTCO as everyone says they are so far superior - just not now.
    The meat truck is there one day a week. Not that convenient for working folks. You really have to plan (not my strong suit). We used to have two local butcher shops, both gone. I'm really jealous of you folks. You have a good fish monger too. I stopped there a few years ago when I was in town. Nice. Thanks for the info Ron. The local supermarkets do a fairly good job for what they are, but I'm just looking at options. 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    Sam's club is the white trash version of Costco. 
    Why do you say that? 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I had both and found that we went to Sam's Club 9 times out of 10. The main reason was location. I think Costco has better selection in meats
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I had both and found that we went to Sam's Club 9 times out of 10. The main reason was location. I think Costco has better selection in meats
    Was the meat at least adequate in your opinion? You are obviously an experienced and accomplished outdoor cook. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Was the meat at least adequate in your opinion? You are obviously an experienced and accomplished outdoor cook. 
    Your too nice pgprescott. I've never had an issue with Sam's meat. We have a Sam's Club here in town so it's convenient for us. Like others have mentioned, Sam's doesn't carry Prime. Not a deal breaker for me though. I'd tour both places and see what options they offer you and your family. When I left Costco they never carried packers. I'd check and see what each do and don't carry. I'd go Costco over Sam's if meat alone (and if they carry packers) but Sam's has been good to us for anything we need. We're in there a couple times a week
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    We used to belong to Sam's Club and then a Costco opened within a 1/4 mile of Sam's. I drive about 30 miles to get to either of them. After walking through the Costco, I bought a membership and cancelled the S.C. card. Overall the meat selection is much better, the one I shop at even has a FEW bone in pork butts out usually (I buy my pork butts at GFS, which is cheaper and much closer to home). Overall, I think SAMs may have a larger selection of items, I prefer Costco.  They also have far fewer employees needing government assistance to get by. :). I do miss the peanut butter and cheese crackers though.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I used to belong to sams but am really glad I made the switch.  I feel like the quality of meat is better at Costco and the shopping experience in general is better.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    If I had to choose one, Costco without question.  Sam's near us has some limited prime.  Mostly their top end is choice CAB and it can be very good.  Still, Costco is better overall for all of the reasons people have mentioned.  They rotate new items in more frequently, their house brand is fantastic, etc.  More staff, better service, etc. at Costco,  Sam's can feel like Sears sometimes, dying.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Definitely Costco over Sams.  Just be sure to check your Costco since not all of them carry a full selection of Prime meat.  Another choice is Restaurant Depot if you have one near you.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    I was a member at sams for several years and then a costco opened about 20 miles away and the inlaws joined.  Went with them a few times and I was very impressed.  The customer service is best in class.  No haggle returns and membership perks beyond belief.  But the travel kept me from joining as the sams was about 6 miles away.  Then it happened... a Costco opened up about 4 miles from my office.  Needless to say we got the membership and haven't looked back.  The meat is awsome and this also allowed me to purchase another yeti so that I could keep things cold for the 55 mile ride home from work.  Just my humble opinion.  Costco all the way.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The founder of Costco is a great guy.   Takes care of his employees, which take care of the customers and make the whole experience from a customer standpoint night and day compared to Sam's.   From wiki:

In 1997, the name of Sinegal’s company was changed to Costco Wholesale.

In an interview published in the Houston Chronicle on July 17, 2005, he told Steven Greenhouse that he did not care about Wall Street analysts who had criticized him for putting good treatment of employees and customers ahead of pleasing shareholders. Investors might want higher earnings, but Sinegal stated, “We want to build a company that will still be here 50 and 60 years from now." A favorite quote attributed to Sinegal, in part about his philosophy on dealing with success, is, “you have to take the **** with the sugar”. Investors who bought $10,000 of Costco stock in 1992 found it worth $43,564 just ten years later (a return of 354% [15.855%, annually]). A 2012 CNBC documentary stated that from 1985 until Sinegal's retirement, the stock's value had increased by five thousand percent. Costco's two highest-sales years to date, were Sinegal's final two years as CEO.

In 2009, Sinegal was considered one of "The TopGun CEOs" by Brendan Wood International, an advisory agency.[5][6]

Options
    The founder of Costco is a great guy.   Takes care of his employees, which take care of the customers and make the whole experience from a customer standpoint night and day compared to Sam's.   From wiki:

In 1997, the name of Sinegal’s company was changed to Costco Wholesale.

In an interview published in the Houston Chronicle on July 17, 2005, he told Steven Greenhouse that he did not care about Wall Street analysts who had criticized him for putting good treatment of employees and customers ahead of pleasing shareholders. Investors might want higher earnings, but Sinegal stated, “We want to build a company that will still be here 50 and 60 years from now." A favorite quote attributed to Sinegal, in part about his philosophy on dealing with success, is, “you have to take the **** with the sugar”. Investors who bought $10,000 of Costco stock in 1992 found it worth $43,564 just ten years later (a return of 354% [15.855%, annually]). A 2012 CNBC documentary stated that from 1985 until Sinegal's retirement, the stock's value had increased by five thousand percent. Costco's two highest-sales years to date, were Sinegal's final two years as CEO.

In 2009, Sinegal was considered one of "The TopGun CEOs" by Brendan Wood International, an advisory agency.[5][6]

This would be a non issue if the nearest Costco were closer than 1.5 hrs. I might pass all together. Thanks for the info. I've always held them in high regard. The other one not so much as I stated earlier. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Sams is more convenient with the early hours. Also the self check out is a huge benefit at SAMs   Costco has a much better selection  for everything, especially meat. Currently I use both. Overheard costco is getting self check out though which will be  nice. The early hours I love without the crowds.  Sorry unsure why the spacing issues. 
  • Fayborg
    Fayborg Posts: 82
    Options
    Pete,  not certain how close to 88 you live or like paying tolls.  But Ream's in Elburn has decent meat and sausage.  Not the cheapest but great selection.  
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Fayborg said:
    Pete,  not certain how close to 88 you live or like paying tolls.  But Ream's in Elburn has decent meat and sausage.  Not the cheapest but great selection.  
    Thanks Fay. I've heard about them, it's just hard to find the time to get over there. I'll have to check them out for sure. Heard they have killer brats / sausage and such as well. Thanks for the reminder. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I'm a little late to the party, but I'm a member of both.  

In my opinion, it's similarly explained to the difference between shopping at Walmart and Target.  Costco seems to have a better curated selection of items across the board, whereas SAMs offers a broader selection (some at more advantageous pricing)

in regards to their meat department, I vastly prefer Costco for cost and quality.....with one notable exception.... my Costco doesn't carry packers, but SAMs does.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    At one time we had simultaneous memberships to Costco/BJ's/Sams.

BJ's and Sams were within a few miles of us and Costco was about 10 miles. We dropped Sams 15 or 20 years ago. Still keep BJ's and Costco. Costco is one of my favorite companies to do business with (been a member since the "Price Club" days).

The only bad thing I have to say about Costco is that mine NEVER has packer briskets. But that's ok, that what SRF is for. :)

In tangential "where to shop news" we just learned a couple days ago that Wegman's is finally opening a store in town and just a couple miles from me. Super stoked!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    Costco. They have a limited selection and have a screening processes for everything that goes on their shelves. Everything they have is the best of the best, but also run for limited times. This leads to over buying because you don't know if they will have it for your next trip... and also remorse when you can't find what you had bought in the past. I'm rarely ever disappointed with what I buy. There used to be a documentary on Netflix called The Costco Craze which was pretty accurate. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    At one time we had simultaneous memberships to Costco/BJ's/Sams.

BJ's and Sams were within a few miles of us and Costco was about 10 miles. We dropped Sams 15 or 20 years ago. Still keep BJ's and Costco. Costco is one of my favorite companies to do business with (been a member since the "Price Club" days).

The only bad thing I have to say about Costco is that mine NEVER has packer briskets. But that's ok, that what SRF is for. :)

In tangential "where to shop news" we just learned a couple days ago that Wegman's is finally opening a store in town and just a couple miles from me. Super stoked!
    I drove 30 minutes to Wegman's today and it was totally worth it. My favorite grocery store ever.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Costco fan here Pete.  We don't have Wegmans which is an awesome store.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I maintain memberships at both and actively shop at both.  I like pork butts and smoked sausage at SAMS but other meats are generally bought at Costco.  They seem to compete with each other on other sale items, which is nice.  I like the credit card that comes with my SAMs account. I get about 400 cash back on that per year. 
    Dave - Austin, TX