Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Total Solar Eclipse 08/21/2017. Good Time for an Egghead Party?

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    YukonRon said:
    I'm thinking Colorado. I know one helluva spot that would be ideal for such an event. A driveable location <9000 ft elevation, doable. Watch your ethanol intake at that elevation. You have been warned.
    Let me know when and where. We may show!! Trailer and all!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    YukonRon said:
    I'm thinking Colorado. I know one helluva spot that would be ideal for such an event. A driveable location <9000 ft elevation, doable. Watch your ethanol intake at that elevation. You have been warned.
    @YukonRon based on the map CO isn't in the path for a total eclipse.  I found this web site with lots of great info. 

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

They have a link to an interactive map.

In GA Hiawassee is in the path (@egret)

Yellowstone!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    YukonRon said:
    Let me know when and where. We may show!! Trailer and all!
    Dude too cool for Sunday school! According to the great map of @SmokeyPitt Yellowstone is also a target! Tetons are beautiful, and yes, I know a place. 
    I am back to Epic.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    The Georgia Mountain Fairground's/Campground would be awesome in August, it's on the shore of Lake Chatuge and they have a very nice pavilion we could use. Hotels very close also.
    I like the way you think. 
    I sense momentum building.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Hiawassee would be good.  Plenty of lake to float a bunch of drunks in!!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    There is a campground and marina with boat rentals right across the highway from the park in Hiawassee 

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    My wife and I are definitley going to make this Eclipse. August 23 is her Bday. So it's a perfect time for a vacation.  If we doing bbq stuff. The Grocery Cart will be there!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    bgebrent said:
    The Georgia Mountain Fairground's/Campground would be awesome in August, it's on the shore of Lake Chatuge and they have a very nice pavilion we could use. Hotels very close also.
    Perhaps it might be two events....perhaps joined by Webcams. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    This will be happening pretty much right over the top of my property in illinois. Ill be out there drunk for it im sure. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    bgebrent said:
    Know any good IT guys?
  • northGAcock
    bgebrent said:
    Know any good IT guys?
    Good ones yes.....sober ones no.

• Now that it's 2017...bump.

Flint, Michigan
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    GA Mountain Fairgrounds in Hiawassee.  Bring your egg!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited January 2017

Totality is the only way to experience all that goes on.

I may be in Casper, WY that day while of I take an extended, three week road trip out west to visit family, or south the Charleston area (much closer).

Clear skies that day to all, no matter where you go!   

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    The full effect in coverage and time will occur over Rabun County, Georgia, and more particularly, over Clayton, Georgia.....where I live! I will have all three eggs going!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Hiawassee is in the path too. How's the weather in the NGA mountains in August? @egret, you listening? =)
    As said before, Clayton, Ga. is dead center for the eclipse, and Hiawassee is about 30 miles west of us, over the mountains! The weather, while "hot", is not the "hot" you'll find in Atlanta. Last year in Clayton, it was mostly in the 80's!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166

"warwoman", can I secure a reservation today?

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    The nearest town to the peak location is Hopkinsville, Kentucky.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I just asked off work for the 21st. Should be a good time! My property is about 3 miles from the point of highest duration of totality. Ill be out there in my field on a chair, drunk. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• northGAcock
    Columbia SC is in the ideal watch zone. Stay tuned.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Is that an invitation?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Little ol' Oregon is expecting 1 million people descending on our cities for this eclipse.  I'm in Salem, so right in the pathway.  Our company is actually shutting down that day in anticipation of the sh*t show from so many people packing in our campgrounds, hotels, etc.  A lot of authorities are worried because we have pretty dry forests and grasslands in August and it only takes one unattended BBQ...
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    warwoman said:
    The full effect in coverage and time will occur over Rabun County, Georgia, and more particularly, over Clayton, Georgia.....where I live! I will have all three eggs going!
    Ahhh. Now I get the name @warwoman. Love fishing up there. 
  • northGAcock
    JRWhitee said:
    Is that an invitation?
    Well I am awaiting another forum member to firm up some details around defending my wing cooking skills. I want go so far as to mention Jeremiah by name but lets just say, he is a guy from Aiken who has quite a few estates in his portfolio.

• http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/in_the_path.htm That's a good link to show options of where the best places are for each city and state. But after all, if the weather doesn't cooperate it doesn't matter where we are. 
    Snellville, GA

• Just realized @SmokeyPitt posted a detailed map last year. 
    Snellville, GA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2017
    Just realized @SmokeyPitt posted a detailed map last year. 
    I appreciate the reminder @Eggdicted_Dawgfan  My friend has a cabin close to the Ocoee river in TN that is right in the path. I am gonna try to take that day off work. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfUU1wJKXDc

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Gotta love Jim Steinman songs.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Too much light makes the baby go blind. 

Apropos.  And I saw the show:

http://neofuturists.org/tickets/

You guys agreeing on something is worse than y kids trying to decide where to go for dinner.

We have less than 2 months. Someone make a decision and let's get on board. I have to apply early for my wife to get time off.

maybe show up Saturday and stay over through Monday.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group