Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need sautéed mushroom recipe

I love getting sautéed mushrooms at steak restaurants, but have never managed to get them as good at home. What's your favorite recipe?

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited January 2017
    I just sauté with garlic and butter, add some steak drippings and season with salt +pepper.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited January 2017
    It a secret family recipe but I'll share it with you. 
    Sauté the mushrooms in butter. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • I  put them in a small corningware with lid, add butter and garlic, half an onion, and a teaspoon of boullion paste.
    put it on the BGE about 15 mins before putting my steaks on. Remove it when putting steaks on and let it sit until steaks are done.
    I use whole mushrooms instead of slices, but that's my preference.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I use a bit of EVOO+ butter (keeps the butter from burning), garlic, S&P and maybe a splash of white wine.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2017
    Butter or olive oil, add some fresh garlic and black pepper, saute with mushrooms for a few minutes, add red wine, salt with beef base...cook until mushrooms done the way you want.
    I just sautee in butter with worcestershire sauce. Another favorite is burgundy mushrooms in the crock pot

http://livelovepasta.com/2014/11/crock-pot-burgundy-mushrooms/
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    The pioneer woman burgundy mushrooms are good
    Greensboro, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I just put 'em in a skillet with oil, s&p and cook til done to my liking. I probably prefer them more "well done" than most. 

@RRP has that burgundy recipe that he's mentioned many times.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Those burgundy mushrooms are killer! But they take 9 hrs..... :o
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Burgundy mushrooms are phenomenal! No joke - I could make a mean out of them alone. Time consuming but super easy and not labor intensive at all. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/burgundy-mushrooms-recipe.html

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Garlic, butter, rosemary, red wine. Sometimes I add a liitle bit of flour if want it to be more of a sauce.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Nobody mentioned the water content in white mushrooms.  It's over 90%.  So, for best results, mushrooms should be cooked long enough to evaporate the moisture and intensify the mushroom flavor. 
    Sliced or left whole, they can be sautéed in olive oil, butter, or any combo.  For the most mushroom flavor, cook them until the pan is almost dry and devoid of moisture.  They'll be golden in color.  Season and go.
    For those who prefer a sauce, now add your wine and boullion and cook to your preference.  This can now be thickened if your choice.
    The nine hour method can be achieved (guaranteed with same finished product) in waaay less time.  Restaurants do this all the time.  Enjoy.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've been using this recipe from a site or YouTube channel called Steve's Cooking .

Garlic Mushrooms
    Mushrooms 15
    Onion 1/2 of small
    EVOO
    S&P
    White wine - splash
    Garlic 2-4 cloves
    Lemon juice - splash
    Chives
    Veg stock 1/2 cup
    cream 1 TBSP

Make paste out of garlic and salt

Heat EVOO in a pan and saute onions + mushrooms with a pinch of salt and pepper

Add splash of white wine. 2 mins

Add garlic paste - 2 mins

Add lemon juice - 2 mins

Add Chives - 2 mins

Add veg stock and bring to a boil.

Add cream and allow to thicken for 5 mins.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Saute with a little olive oil, butter, s&p, garlic powder, a handfull sliced vidalia onion stir and cover. Option you could add splash of harveys Bristol  cream sherry to take it to another level
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • I've also have added cherry tomatoes sliced in half to above. Totally delicious.  Cook to desired consistancy
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    I LOVE mushrooms! This thread is making me hungry!

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Let me get a picture of some sauté sherry wild
    mushrooms from a cook book from a favorite place in Asheville. Curate is the name. It's amazing stuff. 

I grill in a veggie wok and transfer to cast iron, kind of skip a few steps of a simple dish. 

I didnt love mushrooms until I got these. Would work with your regular cheap mushrooms I'd guess but best with a mix of several types. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY

These are fantastic and simple. Great with pork and steak! The oysters are a favorite !
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    I also rarely do mushroom stock and use veg stock instead after grilling the mushrooms 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Thanks @FATC1TY will have to try that
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • FATC1TY
    CPARKTX said:
    Thanks @FATC1TY will have to try that

No problem. These are so simple. 

I grill them in a veggie basket till looking good with s light drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. 

Then I do the shallot and thyme with olive oil. Add mushrooms and then stock. Reduce till dry. Add sherry, reduce till dry. 

Dry simple and your house will smell like heaven. 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    +1 on the sherry sautéed mushrooms.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    if you find oyster shrooms, oil them, add a rub, and grill them hot 500/600 degrees till the edges crisp. i always uy these when i see them which isnt too often. best shrooms out there, i like them better than morels
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it