Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie seeking advice

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings. I just found this forum for the first time and I would be most appreciative for input concerning a smoker purchase. I am an avid griller, but up to now my smoking experience has been limited to a chip box on a gas Weber. I am ready to purchase an offset firebox smoker and assume it will be a once in a life purchase, so it should be a well informed choice.[p]After searching various internet sites and receiving literature from various sources, my search currently focuses on smokers with both horizontal and vertical chambers, and I am considering the Klose Backyard Chef, Smokemaster "Smoker" model 18x30-CC, Oklahoma Joe Chuckwagon (16") available through New Braunfels, and Brinkmann Southfork (which, to my eye, looks identical to the Oklahoma Joe smoker). [p]Since I have zero experience with REAL barbecue and smoking, any comments regarding these products would be a big help. Independent ideas would be welcome as well. Thanks to all.[p]Mike [p]

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Mike B,[p] Hi Mike:[p] We cook on a ceramic griller & smoker, which does not have an offset fire box. You are more than welcome to say and join in. However, if you wish to buy a metal unit, try the link I have posted , They will be more than happy to help out.[p]Earl
    [ul][li]http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Mike B,
    I was out looking for a metal unit way back in the old days. I tripped over this "thing" called a Big Green Egg and haven't looked back. It might be worth your effort to "listen in" to this forum for a while.
    The BGE is ceramic...won't rust out, ever.
    I have a friend that has one of those metal offset smokers and he's about to buy an Egg for lots of different reasons. (Maybe because I told him he can't use mine whenever he wants!)
    Some of the forum members can give you in depth answers as to why and Egg. For me it's simple, the silly looking thing works!
    Anyhow, there's no rule that I know of that says you can't have more than one kind of toy.[p]carey

• Mike B, if you ask nice maybe some of these guys will post some pics of what they have cooked on there Big Green Eggs..
    Roger!

• Mike B,
    The metal offset smokers can and do produce some excelent Q. The additional upright chamber gives you lots of capacity but, weather or not you use this chamber you still have to heat it every time you cook. This can make it difficult to hold temps for long periods of time between refueling and you will use significantly more fuel. As this is the BGE site lets talk about the pro and cons. Ceramic cookers are extreamly easy to use, temp control is unmatched period! Gas or charcoal. You can go up to 20 Hrs. with out refueling or even changing your air settings. The food comes off your Egg moist and flavorful. You can grill and BBQ on the same unit. The Egg is not affected by weather{although the cook is}. Cons, Limited space. If your looking to do large amounts of food like ribs or steaks the egg might not be what your after. You can do very large Pieces of meat like roasts, birds or briskets, just not multiple pieces. PS the Oak Joes and Brinkman are the same..KB

• Mike B, I`m as much of a rookie as you but have learned quite a bit in the last few months...have you looked at the Treager Pellet burning bbq`s.....
    You can get them in an offset but I`m not sure if they have the traditional style offset with an upright chamber...
    During your search you might want to have a peek at one of them as well....
    Ask Andrew in the other forum bout them.....Careful though, I`m not sure if his "grumpy" pills have worn off from this morning though.....LOL
    Roger!

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Mike B,
    give me an email, I've got some stuff to say about this topic.

• Mike B,
    If you are cooking at home for a family or small group of friends. Just forget the metal stuff and get a BGE. Its the rolex of all outdoor cookers. People who dont like the egg are people who can't afford one or are just too cheap to buy one . BGE Rules JUst my opinion thats America. Good luck Uncle Dave

• Uncle Dave,People who dont like the egg are people who can't afford one or are just too cheap to buy one .[p]Now is this a fair statement,I never have said that I don`t like the Egg,have always had fun with Eggers.[p]But the cheapest Traeger,I know of,list for $850..I paid $2500 for the Fast Eddy model.I not trying to convert anybody here.I like my Pellet-gun and the product it produces.I have had it since June of last year,I cook on the average of 20-40hrs a week on the Traeger(no fooling),no problems,no rust,Stainless Steel cabniets.I`m not grumpy and never have been,I`m guilty of being short with Roger,but I have never been short with Mop.
    Good people on both sides of the fence,sharing a love for the game.

[ul][li]Fast Eddy[/ul]
  • Mike B,If you like jacking with your meat alot, don't get an egg. The egg is a great smoker and will make your meat as juicy as can be. But if you like sopping your meat alot and turning it often, get a smoker with a seperate fire box.

• Andrew,.....*shaking hands*......your ok Andrew......
    Lets let by gones be "by gones"..........
    Roger...

• Mike B,
    If you'd e-mail me I'll give you first hand comparison of the Egg and New Braunfels "Bandera" and "Oklahoma Joe's" cookers. I have Eggs and the Bandera and I cook on an Oklahoma Joe at times. All of them are good cookers, it just depends on what you want to use them for most often.[p]Good luck, and good cooking![p]Dr. Chicken

• GWW
    GWW Posts: 43
    Mike B,[p]I have a metal Oak Joe, I'll sell you for cheap! Q'ing with the offset box just required to much attention, fun with a group tending the fire, kicking back drinking a few beers. I was driven to the egg for my love of pulled pork and little time. Well worth the investment![p]Cheers,
    Greg

• gww, WHich OK JOE do you have?....
    Ya got any photos?
    Roger!

• Andrew,
    Really didnt mean to step on your toes. I have had my egg 2 weeks and have been made to feel bad by friends who cant believe I spent 900.00 w/ table and accesories. I have never had any thing butgas grills , numerous webers, brinkman smokers. The BGE just blows away any thing like these. However I did qualify my statment with cooking for a family or small group of friends. Good Luck

• Thanks to all, and additional insights welcome. Your multiple replies have been extremely instructive, and my plans for an offset are definitely being reevaluated. If this purchase comes to pass, I do suspect I will need to stop by semifrequently for advice! [p]Mike B
  • GWW
    GWW Posts: 43
    Roger,
    Sorry no photos, lets see, Has the offset fire box that's maybe 15" in diameter, main cooking chamber is about 18" diameter and 36" long, with a smoke stack on the far end. The fire box was big enough that I used to burn whole split hickory logs. Steel construction about 1/8" thick, wish it were 1/4" for sure. I loved cooking on it but like I said, high maintenance during the cook..but the product it produced was awesome![p]greg