Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on cooking chicken wings.......

Options
GenesGrill
GenesGrill Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to "low and slow" some wings indirect at 250 dome temp. I don't have a polder; how long should it take before they're done??? When out of town last weekend a local restaurant had as their favorite item hickory smoked wings (just skin/no crust) and they were delicious!!

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    GenesGrill, you can get real good smoked wings w/out low n slow. Smoking them at 350 or so is fine. Whether you want to do them at 250 or 350, the temp they are when they hit the grill, the number of wings and whether they are cooked direct or indirect, changes the time significantly. I smoke a dozen indirect at 350 for an hour or so, but make sure they are 180 or higher before I pull them.
  • GenesGrill,[p]Here one from the Dizzy Pif gang you can do as is or tweak to shorten the time.[p]Hopward

[ul][li]Wings Recipe[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    GenesGrill,[p]Low and slow chicken wings are great. The skin loses its fat content and becomes nice and crispy. We cook them at 225 degrees for 1 - 1.5 hours direct on a raised grill (opening level) to move them away from the direct heat of the fire. At this cooking temp they don't dry out. We cook the wings with only the tips removed and break them apart at the table. Very easy to do.[p]Good luck.
    Spin

• rex clingan
    Options
    I think those wire wing racks that hang them by the tip are worthwhile if you're going for smoked wings. A little chipotle dry rub is a nice touch.

• jbrodie
    jbrodie Posts: 111
    Options
    rexmo, I agree completely. Cabella's sells them, 3 racks for about $12 or $15. They work great and no turning wings. Jim.