Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

why was my thread deleted?

Options
2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Let's just hope there is a fix.

From stuff I've read, VW will have to complete a major re-engineering of the fuel system to accommodate a heated 5 gallon urea tank next to the fuel cell. Since urea must be heated, so new electrical will need to be ran.The added urea and decreased range will mean an estimated 15-20% loss in fuel economy. 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I have enjoyed the longevity of this thread titled "why was my thread deleted?"  It has lasted much longer than the original thread that was deleted.  :smile:

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Let's just hope there is a fix.

From stuff I've read, VW will have to complete a major re-engineering of the fuel system to accommodate a heated 5 gallon urea tank next to the fuel cell. Since urea must be heated, so new electrical will need to be ran.The added urea and decreased range will mean an estimated 15-20% loss in fuel economy. 

yeah, that is what I am waiting for

supposedly VW has proposed a fix and thy are just waiting for epa to approve. and supposedly they won't have to get the cars to current standards, just raise them some. they are giving them a break on the emission standards
    Boom
  • AVEngineer
    AVEngineer Posts: 120
    Options
    I would hate to get rid of my TDI, after all it is the vehicle I brought my Egg home in.  So it has some special memories!
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    They can have my TDI if they want to pry it out of my cold dead hands....

I love my car. I get 45+ mpg highway running the AC. Notice, 70mph at 2k rpm. Peak torque is 1800rpm so the engine is at it's optimum efficiency at 65mph. See the gauge at the bottom right? That's fuel at half a tank. Now the bottom right number in the square gauge - 355 miles on half a tank!!! I routinely get around 700 miles per tank if I take it down to fumes.

The EPA has two sets of exhaust rules, one for gasoline and one for diesel. The diesel has to emit a ridiculously small amount of NOx to comply. At 234 foot lbs. of torque, it is as powerful as an average 6 cylinder gasoline engine, but has to run cleaner than the average 4 cylinder gasser.

I'm not getting it fixed. I'm not selling it back. It's cleaner than nearly any car that doesn't run on batteries.

And I'm going to run it for a half million miles. I'll replace the drivers seat before I have to replace the engine.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I lost my virginity in a TDI. No I didn't. Never mind. 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options

Last weekend?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    DieselkW said:

Last weekend?
    If only I were that young....
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    We're not talking about those kind of emissions, Jason.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @jeffwit quote of the day!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    DieselkW said:

I love my car. I get 45+ mpg highway running the AC. Notice, 70mph at 2k rpm. Peak torque is 1800rpm so the engine is at it's optimum efficiency at 65mph. See the gauge at the bottom right? That's fuel at half a tank. Now the bottom right number in the square gauge - 355 miles on half a tank!!! I routinely get around 700 miles per tank if I take it down to fumes.

The EPA has two sets of exhaust rules, one for gasoline and one for diesel. The diesel has to emit a ridiculously small amount of NOx to comply. At 234 foot lbs. of torque, it is as powerful as an average 6 cylinder gasoline engine, but has to run cleaner than the average 4 cylinder gasser.

I'm not getting it fixed. I'm not selling it back. It's cleaner than nearly any car that doesn't run on batteries.

And I'm going to run it for a half million miles. I'll replace the drivers seat before I have to replace the engine.
    yeah, I love my fuel economy

I went to Edisto few weeks ago. I live in Columbia. I averaged just over 53 mpg trip there and just over 50 mpg trip back

I generally get 41-42 mpg per tank. I put 38K miles on the car the first year I owned it

Maintenance cost is higher than I would like (DSG every 40K miles for example) and I hear the timing belt is expensive

I am hoping the fix is minimally invasive/impactful on performance

Also, should you be taking pictures while driving 70 mph?!
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I have enjoyed the longevity of this thread titled "why was my thread deleted?"  It has lasted much longer than the original thread that was deleted.  :smile:

funny how that works
    Boom
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    DieselkW said:

Bad news bears is a fix may be forced on you by not allowing you to update your registration until you fix it. It's going to depend on your State, I believe.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    and my buyback is complete

docs submitted 10/25
    accepted 11/21
    offer package received, notarized, uploaded and accepted 12/22
    buyback appt 1/19

so for me just under 2 months start to finish

the appt was at 6:30, I got there at 5:10. the rep was with another customer. got to me around 5:20 and I was outside waiting on my uber home at 5:35. 

now just waiting on email from chase so I can get my money
    Boom