Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]I've never used a dutch oven, however, I want to get one to be able to cook chili, stew, spaghetti sauce, etc. on the BGE.[p]Can someone recommend a good one for such things? [p]Is a plain cast iron dutch oven preferred or enamel covered cast iron?[p]What is a good size for a family of four?[p]What temps do you cook with when using a dutch oven? I looked at an enamel covered cast iron dutch oven but it looked like it had a plastic handle on the lid and I was wondering if it would melt?[p]Thanks for any help.
Ray

Comments

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    LBTRS,
    I have an 8 quart Lodge Dutch Oven (four in the family) and find that it is plenty big enough. As far as what temps to cook at depends on what you're cooking. You can do a roast with veggies/potatos, chili, soup...See the link below for the Lodge selection and they're available in a lot of places. [p]Good luck.
    wrobs

[ul][li]http://https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/products1.asp?idDept=1409&menu=logic[/ul]
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    LBTRS,[p] IMHO there is only one name in Cast Iron Cookware - Lodge.[p] Enameled Cookware is good in a gas or electric oven. If you are going to cook with the possibilities of direct flame then the non-enameled cookware is best.[p] A 5 quart should be fine for a family of four. [p][p]
    [ul][li]Lodge Cast Iron[/ul]
  • LBTRS,[p]There was actually a post fairly recently about this subject. People were mentioning preferring the enameled because they didn't want a metallic taste on certain foods that they were cooking. Also something about enameled being easier to clean.
    I don't have personal experience, but I would think the enameled would be preferrable, but they can be a bit more expensive. One person mentioned La Cruset, which can be found cheapest at Tuesday Mornings.

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    LBTRS,[p]I have both lodge cast iron and Le Cruset. For some foods like blackening corn bread, cobblers, or casseroles I would suggest cast iron. Otherwise enameled. I use a variety of different sizes depending on what I am cooking. Acidic foods (tomato based) don't cook well in cast iron as they react with the metal and will take on a metal flavor. As for the handles the phenolic used on the LeCruset is good up to 450 degrees. For what you list here I would not cook any warmer than this anyway. When I cook tomato sauce I start in on top of the stove and once it is together it goes in the oven (using my 12 quart). Once complete I freeze most of the sauce and use it over time. The Le Creuset has a lifetime warranty on the coatings and although I have never returned any I understand they are very prompt. The biggest complaint with both of these is they are large and heavy so find a good storage spot and make sure it will fit before you buy.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Why1504,[p] Not trying to dispute you here (well not too much), but forty one years of cooking in Dutch Ovens I have never had a problem with metallic taste in properly cured cast iron.[p] The other trick is to never ever allow soap anywhere near your dutch oven. [p] If the inside of your dutch over is NOT shiney, smooth and black it is NOT properly cured. Using vegetable oil really doesn't season it well enough. Bacon Grease, Lard or Shortening baked on with high heat will give the inside that shiney smooth surface. [p] I had cast iron skillets that cooked a goodly amount of meat loaf in them for over a century. My grandmother cooked meat loaf with a tomato topping, as did my mother. If it weren't for a vendictive ex-wife I would be too.
  • Why1504
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]You know, I don't disagree with all of this. However, I have a wife and 2 teenage kids who cook. If they touch a piece of cast iron, well soap hits it. I have a dutch oven I got in high school. Made the best chili I have ever eaten until one day somebody (wife) had cooked something in it and cleaned it. Next batch of chili tasted like I had seasoned it with ground up iron. After tons of bacon it finally came back. With the Le Creuset, it doesn't matter. You can cook hot in the skillets, it cleans very easy and no matter what it won't flavor the food. More and more I see commercial cooks using Le Creuset. Try a piece, it is like the best of cast iron, SS, and non stick.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Why1504,[p] Ye who lets wife cook with iron is in trouble :) [p] I keep forgetting that most folks don't have a wife like mine. My wife doesn't touch my cooking stuff. Heck she barely cooks at all :) [p] Our deal I cook she cleans, except my iron. In her words, "Get your A$$ out here and clean this stuff, before I do".
  • Why1504
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Point taken!![p]Actually she found the all the Le Creuset on sale at Tuesday Morning. So the cast iron is regailed to cornbread, cobblers, blackening, frying and such. Sometimes it is better to join than fight.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    why1504,[p] I will use enameled cookware inside, especially on a stovetop. When it is exposed to smoke I still prefer the plain old cast iron.[p] Things like corn bread and meat loaf just taste a whole lot better if they are cooked in iron (inside or outside).[p] so to answer the original posters question: Get both, Be happy!![p] If you insist on using Enameled Cookware exposed to smoke, or any type of cookware, expect iron, do yourself a big favor. Get some plain old dish soap and a paper towel. Pour some of that dish soap on the paper towel and rub a thin soap layer on the OUTSIDE of the pot. When it comes time to cleaning said pot you will thank me. The black will come off faster then butter on a hot knife. Just don't do this to Cast Iron..[p]
  • ront
    ront Posts: 3
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    I have a CI frying pan that I have used for 30 years. It's got a smooth black bottom and gets leaned with SOS when ever it's used and it "keeps on ticking" as they say. What is this issue with not cleaning your pan w/soap?[p]I have another CI skillet that I fry in and have followed the convention of not washing. The edges build up with a crust that can't be removed, it looks gross. I even sandblasted the crust one time and reseasoned, it came back.[p]These pans have both been seasoned as required.[p]Am I missing something here.