Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade rubs

Options
I have had several dizzy pig rubs but now I'm starting to run low. I was looking at getting more but had forgotten how expensive it was. Does anyone have any homemade rub recipes that y'all would be willing to share?
Dyersburg, TN

Comments

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I have dozens on file that I use/make. Can we email each other on this site.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    in addition to the site that @dogoffo recommended (good stuff, I've made many of those rubs with great results), here is a good site that discusses rubs and salt: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/the_science_of_rubs.html

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    in addition to the site that @dogoffo recommended (good stuff, I've made many of those rubs with great results), here is a good site that discusses rubs and salt: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/the_science_of_rubs.html
    Good article!
    Options
    I'll share some info.

A few years ago, I collected around 180 rub recipes from around the net. There was wide variation. A few for beef were mostly salt. Some pork rubs were mostly sugar. There were a couple of oddballs, like one that had cocoa powder as the main ingredient.

So I picked over all the recipes that were listed as all purpose or for pork. Here is the average rub, portions in teaspoons

19 brown sugar
    15 sweet paprika
    9 Kosher salt
    8 black pepper, freshly ground
    5 garlic granules
    4 chili powder blend (a ground chili w. garlic and oregano)
    3 onion powder
    1 cayenne pepper

It works, but to my taste is really, well, "average."  I like more salt, and I'm not big on salt. It seems that most of the paprika flavor cooks away, and almost as much of the black pepper.

Among all the other stuff that are in the recipes are:

adobo, allspice, basil, bay leaf, cajun seasoning, celery salt, celery seed, chili flakes, chipotle, cinammon, cloves, cocoa powder, coffee, coriander, cumin, curry powder, file powder, ginger, jalapeno seasoning, lemon peel, lemon pepper, lemon powder, marjoram, molasses powder, msg, mustard powder, mustard seed, nutmeg, old bay mix, onion salt, oregano, poultry seasoning, red pepper, rosemary, sage, savory, sazon,  tarragon, thyme, white pepper.

Cumin, mustard, rosemary, thyme and sage are very common additions to the base.

For me, very small amounts of allspice, clove, & nutmeg, have a strong effect on the final taste.

What I've been doing for some time is to make a rub w. less paprika and black pepper to start, and do a late dusting of the meat w. more so the flavor is still evident.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Tons of free run recipes around. Not only will you save money, but you can tweak them to your taste.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..

Equal part: Brown Sugar..

½ part: Black Pepper..

½ part: Kosher Salt..

½ part: Garlic Powder..

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I very rarely buy commercial rubs. Here are some homebrews I enjoy...

Herbes De Provence Recipe - Food.com - 162668
    Montreal Steak Seasoning Recipe : Recipezaar
    Blackened Seasoning Mix
    http://circle-b-kitchen.squarespace.com/food-and-recipes/2013/7/18/circle-b-bbq-sauce.html?rq=chicken%20rub
    Chef Paul Prudhomme's Poultry Magic Recipe | Key Ingredient
    Greek Seasoning - The Daring Gourmet
    Simply Scratch » Homemade Lemon Pepper Seasoning
    The Best Spice Rubs for Chicken | Men's Health (I like the "Smoky Red")
    Gordon Ramsay Aleppo Rub
    And the ever popular coffee rub @Mickey mentioned above.

These days, I drastically reduce, or even eliminate salt from any rub. The lemon pepper, for example, calls for a ton of salt, to be added at the end.

No thanks. I add none. Just lemon and pepper.

Hope you find some of these to your liking. For more, just google chicken seasoning, steak rub or whatever you're looking for. You'll find 'em.

As for the comment about losing flavor in the longer cooks, my favorite chili recipe (and many others) adds seasonings in stages... add these, cook for 10 minutes; add those, cook for two hours; add this, cook for 20 minutes; finally, add these for 10 minutes. Done.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    This is my steak rub which I really enjoy.  It's a little heavy on the salt, an item I will adjust, maybe move it into the teaspoon section:

Steak Rub

1 Table Spoon of each of the following:

- Red Pepper
    - Garlic Powder
    - Paprika
    - Onion Powder
    - Salt

1 Teaspoon of the following:

- Herb De Provence
    - Black Pepper

Apply to steak.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone! The only commercial run I don't think I'll let go of is Cow Lick. Definitely trying @Mickey s coffee rub.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    leemschu said:
    Thanks for all the help everyone! The only commercial run I don't think I'll let go of is Cow Lick. Definitely trying @Mickey s coffee rub.
    What part of the country are you in?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like making my own for beef and pork. As in: ribs, butt, brisket etc.

but Dizzy Pig's stuff is really well done. Chris has a great palate. 

Raging  river in particular is such an unusual but simple rub....  hard to beat and not worth trying to replicate. Just buy it

My kids won't eat salmon without 

Tsunami spin, jamaican firewalk, swamp venow....  

i buy them regularly at the BBQ barn and a couple sorta local places

i should buy them from the website though. Maybe get on a frequent flywr list. Get a free magnet. Haha

but for slathering three pork butts and eight slabs of ribs on the 4th of July, I'm going to just freewheel my own stuff based on some traditional proportions 
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you google Elder Ward's pulled pork recipe, he has a great rub recipe there. Kind of a sweet and hot. I've used it for years on many different things. Love it on baby backs. Not to mention the pulled pork recipe is excellent itself.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @leemschu     You can leave the salt out of any rub recipe.  Treat the salt and the rub as separate items.  Salt an item as lightly or heavily as you like or brine the item (wet or dry brine).  Apply the rub as lightly or heavily as you like.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Mickey said:
    leemschu said:
    What part of the country are you in?
    Northwest TN
    Dyersburg, TN
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Great info on this thread.  Since @leemschu started this thread with the surprise about cost over commercial rubs I'll just mention Restaurant Depot.  Their bulk spices are priced well.  It's somewhat costly initially, due to the cost of all the bulk spices.  However, your cost of the finished rubs is a mere fraction of commercial rubs.  I would estimate about 1/8 the price of commercial.
    Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Another one I should have mentioned is a Creole style vegetable seasoning. Apparently good on beef too, but I haven't tried it. Starts with a ridiculous 6 Tbls of salt. I cut that WAY back the first time, then made a second batch with no salt at all, which is just fine to me. Makes nearly 2 cups so you might want to cut it a bit to see if you like it. Pretty spicy.

Creole Vegetable Seasoning
    Recipe by Danny Trace, executive chef of Brennan’s of Houston

6 Tbsp salt
    3 Tbsp, plus 1 tsp black pepper
    2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
    3 Tbsp, plus 2 ¼ tsp garlic powder
    3 Tbsp onion powder
    ½ cup paprika
    ¼ cup dried thyme
    3 ½ Tbsp dried oregano

Hmm, wonder if this would work on chicken...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    We're addicted to Meathead's Memphis Dust for all of our pork cooks - quick and easy to make at home, no salt (see his article on the science of rubs for the why), and yields a great taste and bark.  I've tried it just about everything else - some foods end up needing some salt after cooking but with my blood pressure I'd rather add it then than have it locked in through the rub!http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    I recently got a new Alton Brown cookbook and made his rub (for St. Louis ribs but I used it on a butt).  I made a triple batch of the below, and I used a bit less salt and added about a quarter-up of brown sugar, but the rest is below and it smelled and tasted phenomenal:

2 teaspoons paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    4 tablespoons kosher salt
    Toronto ON
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Bulk spices are cheap and rubs seem expensive to me, especially in £ when imported from the US. Pre ground spices lose flavour quickly, so I normally buy the seed version and grind when needed in a pestle and mortar.
  • jawjatek
    Options
    Egg-zactly! Buy the spices and make yer own. I ain't payin' $10 for a little jar of salt and paprika, no.
    LBGE w/PID temp control and many extras. "Cookin' right ain't got no end".
    North GA