Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camping egg

Options
does anyone take their egg camping?  What size and transport methods do you use?

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have brought a mini, mini max, and small camping before. I just put them in the trunk of my car.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I would think the Mini and Mini Max would be the best ones to take camping, but I don't go camping anymore so I don't worry about it.  I would make sure it is strapped down good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I've brought my large and small camping before. I find the Weber Jumbo Joe much easier to travel with. No worries about someone stealing it, tipping it, and clean up. Big Green Eggs are awesome when they don't move. Traveling with them aren't the best option in my opinion. A Big Steel Keg might be the best option if looking for something similar to the Egg.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Akorn has started making their Jr. again. It's only $150 and is worth a look if someone really wants to camp with a small kamado type cooker rather than something like a Weber Smokey Joe. It is about the same size as a MiniMax or KJ Jr. but only weighs 30-ish pounds.

https://smile.amazon.com/Char-Griller-Akorn-Kamado-Kooker-Charcoal/dp/B00EBWBFQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484593745&sr=8-1&keywords=akorn+jr+grill
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    I'm planning on buying a Joe Jr at the next Costco roadshow they do for camping and tailgating.  One of my buddies has one and it's great for smoking some wings or cooking some burgers before the game! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My Beautiful Wife and I still enjoy tent camping. We take the Mini Max with us when we go. Transport is easy, just put it in the back of the Expedition, along with the rest of the gear, kind of lock it in with sleeping bags tents lump, etc. rides really well. No issues thus far. Love my MM.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

I bring the Blackstone and the large if possible. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I agree with @HeavyG Akron jr or jumbo Joe would be best for camping - or make a spit and cook over the camp fire :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Buy an Akorn and throw in a few cinder blocks or a bag of play sand so you get the BGE egg-moving experience.
    Options
    We tote out minimax and usually leave it on the tailgate. It's heavy as crap but too much fun not to bring along. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    the small travels just fine
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm with Justine.
    Granted, I built a custom table, and got one of Scott's last Egg Cartens.

Empty the innards, load, replace innards.  Not heavy for me at 40 and one back surgery under the belt.  And let the record state, I don't use parchment for my pies.   =)

Have never strapped it in.  Many miles logged with the small. JJ, Tailgater Blackstone, WSMs, OTG kettle, all travel just fine in a pickup.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This was in Seaside, FL (as close to camping as I get) with the Mini. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The mini travels if it's just me and Mrs3969 plus 2.  Other than that the small goes without an extra effort over the mini. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I took mine to Zion last summer, my large travel well for the 10 hr drive up. I used towels on the bottom of the bowel and fire ring and it kept things well insulated from any movement. I also put cardboard between the base and dome then used rubber tie downs to keep things tight and secure. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sometimes I forget this is a big Green egg forum.  Life is too easy unless you drag a heavy, expensive, fragile ceramic grill on your road trips.  I can make the same argument about sobriety.  

Never mind.  Carry on.
    Options
    Sometimes I forget this is a big Green egg forum.  Life is too easy unless you drag a heavy, expensive, fragile ceramic grill on your road trips.  I can make the same argument about sobriety.  

Never mind.  Carry on.
    Lot to be said for sobriety, I suppose. I must try that one day before I die. But for now, egging whenever I can, where ever I can, is my goal in life, being the simpleton I am.
    There are worse things.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    We camp with the mini-max.  Put it in the basement of our 5th wheel.  Rides great there. 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Cooking is one of my favorite parts of camping, love to bring my Small.  I have one of the old Eggcarten's for transport.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Lovetaking mine to the lake.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio