Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Steak help

Options
I was at the grocery store yesterday and found a slab of flat iron steak that looked too good to pass up. I've never cooked one before and I'm looking for some advice on the best way. I was thinking of salting it a couple hours before the cook and just throwing it on the cast iron at 600 or so? Maybe reverse sear I don't know. 
NW IOWA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Depending on thickness, the cast iron will work just fine.  All the flat irons I cook are around 1-1 1/4" thick and I usually go straight on the grid (direct, just above the lump), flipping every two-three mins til a few degrees below my desired finish temp.  FWIW- 
    Occasionally give them the cave-man treatment.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Hot and fast.  Slice against the grain.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I did some Sunday. Direct 550-600 flip twice. Like lousubcap said pull early and let rest 10 minutes. 

We made fajitas. You can do it in a cast iron as well. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I did a SRF one recently. I put directly on my cast iron grid and flipped a couple of times. Perfection. You will enjoy this steak.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    direct. No need for any fancy stuff. I usually go @ 500-600. The FI will speak for itself. Great flavor. I also use them for fajitas by cooking them whole with a SW rub like fajitaish and then slice across the grain of course. 
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Thanks folks. Looks like I'll go raised direct on the CI grid instead of the CI sear plate. I'll post pics. 
    NW IOWA