Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help: Seasoning some new Cast Iron pieces in the Egg

Options
I've recently acquired new 10" and  12" Lodge CI skillets.  And if I've been a good boy I might be getting the 7qt DO for my birthday soon.  I'd like to season these outside in the LBGE so that I don't fumigate the house, and I'd like to do all 3 pieces at the same time, and use flaxseed oil as my seasoning of choice.  My thought was to raise up the DO on the platesetter using some firebrick pieces, then putting the two skillets on the grid, or even grid and grid raiser.  My intent on using the CI pieces is explicitly on my LBGE - chili, cornbread, smash burgers, SV steaks, etc...

Questions:
1.) Think it will work, trying to fit all 3 pieces in at the same time?
2.) Has anyone used the BGE to solely season their CI pieces?
3.) Looking to do this around 500F - sound about right?
4.) What should I watch out for or otherwise consider?

Thanks!
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited January 2017
    Options
    i just do multiple 1 hour at 200 then 1 hour cool cycles in the oven at 200

comes out with a mirror finish

500 seems to hot to me but then again ive never used the egg for seasoning
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Does it stink up the house?

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Most lodge wear comes seasoned, however you can. 500f sounds high but it should work...after all, all you're doing is creating a carbon layer. crisco worked well for me last time I seasoned mine. 
    Pratt, KS
  • tonyled
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Does it stink up the house?

not at all
  • MattBTI
    Options
    I've also read in the past to place the casts upside down...that's what i've always done anyway. The thought is it keeps the lipid layer from pooling up in the bottom of the pan
    Pratt, KS
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Trying to do all 3 at once will be a pain. I would split them up and run around 250. You want to put the oil in and rub it thin with a paper towel then turn the pans upside down so the oil doesn't puddle. I usually add a little oil and wipe it thin several times over 2-3 hours and you will be good. I think a lot of the lodges come with their seasoning on them already.
  • tonyled
    edited January 2017
    Options
    this guy is a cast iron expert, his collection is amazing.

sorry i did forget 200 was the preheat, 300 for seasoning

seasoning starts at 10:10

https://youtu.be/j6Tz3HnnCFs?t=614

here is his video on stripping and reseasoning if anyone needs to do that first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pvf0m9jTeE
  • vb4677
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    I've also read in the past to place the casts upside down...that's what i've always done anyway. The thought is it keeps the lipid layer from pooling up in the bottom of the pan
    Exactly!  (I inadvertently left that part out...)
  • tonyled
    Options
    Lit said:
    Trying to do all 3 at once will be a pain. I would split them up and run around 250. You want to put the oil in and rub it thin with a paper towel then turn the pans upside down so the oil doesn't puddle. I usually add a little oil and wipe it thin several times over 2-3 hours and you will be good. I think a lot of the lodges come with their seasoning on them already.
    agree, the tricky part is making sure you wipe all the oil off so it wont pool
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    If you're wanting to go hotter, let the egg settle at 450 for thirty minutes or so. Put the pans on and let that go thirty minutes. Close all your vents and leave everything in there till cold. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Here's a popular method, which is what I used inside in the oven. It did stink up the house, but it aired out pretty quickly.  Better the house than the ceramics in the egg, though.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if these are new lodges they are already seasoned, cook some bacon on it =) if these are your first cast irons you need to know to get the pan hot first, then add the bacon, if it sticks you did not get the pan hot first
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MattBTI
    Options
    if these are new lodges they are already seasoned, cook some bacon on it =) if these are your first cast irons you need to know to get the pan hot first, then add the bacon, if it sticks you did not get the pan hot first
    Same goes for Stainless BTW
    Pratt, KS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Season in your oven.  If you set off the smoke detectors you're doing it wrong.
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    Same goes for Stainless BTW
    you can season some stainless pieces too =) they work even better seasoned than they do all polished and shiny
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    If you are going to use flaxseed oil BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the flaxseed oil you buy is 100% flaxseed oil. A lot of things sold as flaxseed oil have various additives. You DO NOT want to use those.  If you do it will flake off. So read the labels closely.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Save the lump.....these are low time short heat ups. As stated, Lodge is already preseasoned....and ready to cook with. Look forward to seeing some eggcelent cooks on the CI in the near future.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    hate to be a dingus, but we just season them by using them.  frying anything in them, and then wiping clean, is a simple start. 

it'll build over time.
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    If you are going to use flaxseed oil BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the flaxseed oil you buy is 100% flaxseed oil. A lot of things sold as flaxseed oil have various additives. You DO NOT want to use those.  If you do it will flake off. So read the labels closely.
    Whole Foods sells it in the vitamin and supplement aisle - it is in a refrigerator.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I use my Grandmothers method adapted to my Egg. Fry a couple slices of bacon at about 300 degrees indirect above a stone or your plate setter. Pull the bacon add some mayo,  lettuce and tomatoes,   and make a sandwich. Wipe out the bulk of the bacon grease with a paper towel, leaving a nice thick coat on the cooking surface and edges. Turn the pan upside down on the grate and let it sit there at 300 degrees for 30 minutes or so. open a beer and eat your sandwich while you wait. Pull the pan and you will see aver nice even shiny coat of seasoning. If your still hungry, repeat the process and make another sandwich. Happy Cooking. 
  • vb4677
    Options
    So, the flax seed oil is overkill on a new Lodge CI piece, huh?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    the flaxseed oil is not going to make the seasoning thats already there stick better.
    fukahwee maine

• vb4677
    Options
    Right.  Ok - looks like bacon's back on the menu...
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    My 2 cents

I think CI seasoning "cult" is a bit overkill

Seasoning CI is easy

How I do it:
    1. Pre seasoned LODGE CI is my CI of choice
    2. before first cook, Sand the cooking surface with 60 grit sand paper as smooth as you want it
    3. wash the CI
    4. preheat BGE to 350ºF
    5. heat the CI for 10 min to open pores
    6. season with the oil of your choosing (I do it with olive oil)
    7. heat the CI for 30 min to season
    8. take the CI out of the BGE and cool it
    repeat steps 5 to 8 at least 4 times

that's my method and I stick by it, my skillet is as nonstick as GD teflon

after cooking I wash the CI with a stainless steel mesh and a bit of soap if needed. then reheat the CI in the BGE for a bit, season with a bit of olive oil and let it rest inside the BGE until next cook.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    edited January 2017
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Yeah, I wouldn't bother. If you did want to give it a flaxseed oil coating you would really want to strip it and start over.

Also, flaxseed oil is now passè. All the cast iron hipsters these days are using Crisbee pucks. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    I buy my CI at antique shops. Every piece is already seasoned, likely by someone's grandmother. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    How could I have forgotten this one?! A Gem pan that Mom says belonged to her GRANDMOTHER!! Mom was born on July 4, 1916! Patent date on the pan is 1859.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HofstraJet
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    vb4677 said:
    Yeah, I wouldn't bother. If you did want to give it a flaxseed oil coating you would really want to strip it and start over.

Also, flaxseed oil is now passè. All the cast iron hipsters these days are using Crisbee pucks. :)
    I had to look up what a Crisbee puck is.

Amazing instructions designed to make you continually buy them:

Instructions 
    For Daily Maintenance Of Cast Iron

1. After use, wash cast iron and dry thouroughly. [sic]

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Say no to flaxseed, imo.  

Good old lard has never let me down with my collection.  The only seasoning failures I've had were the three skillets I used flaxseed on.
    Phoenix