Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My fellow Texans

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Brenham is on the barbecue map!  Truth BBQ opened July 2015, and is starting to make some serious noise in the Texas BBQ scene.  We made the 65 minute drive this morning, arrived at 11am, and had a few trays of food 20 minutes later.  Definitely A+ quality to wait ratio.  The brisket was sliced a little thicker than I'm used to, and had a very mild dirty smoke taste, but it was still really good.  It was seasoned perfectly and cooked very well.  The ribs held the bone, had good seasoning and were finished with glaze.  The Duroc pork sammie was very good and is pulled to order (my preference).  The housemade beef sausage was good and the turkey was...turkey (not sure why I get it).  The sides were serviceable and the house made pickles and onions were on point.  They bring their A game with dessert too, as both cakes we tried were money!  Overall, this is my best BBQ experience out of Austin and is definitely worth a visit!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• @cazzy - I love Truth BBQ - Leonard knows his way around the pit that's for sure. Have you tried out The Pit Room (inside the loop)? Some of the best tacos I've had - brisket fat tortillas with green chile pulled chicken and gridded cheese.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If the food was half as good as your pictures look....Yummmmm
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • That looks splendid.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I haven't been to Brenham for about 15 years.  But if I go back any time soon, I know where I'm eating.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I gotta move. Those Texans really just get me. 

Looks great. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @cazzy. What does a meal like that run these days?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • cazzy
    @RedSkip With a Big Red, bottled water and 2 pieces of cake, it was a hundo.  As usual, I got enough to bring home some leftovers.  
  • cazzy
    @cazzy - I love Truth BBQ - Leonard knows his way around the pit that's for sure. Have you tried out The Pit Room (inside the loop)? Some of the best tacos I've had - brisket fat tortillas with green chile pulled chicken and gridded cheese.

He sure does.  I haven't, but I'll check it out.  Always looking for a good taco in a Houston.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Man that's fantastic...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • cazzy
    Photo Egg said:
    If the food was half as good as your pictures look....Yummmmm
    Thanks!  It's good!
  • Nice Cazzy!  When are you going to open your own place?  ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    Nice Cazzy!  When are you going to open your own place?  ;)
    Man, at this point, I'll just say before I die.  Lol
  • That looks legit. You are right on those slices though- fatties.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You're like our very own BBQ Oracle ! CenTex had mentioned this place just a day or two ago. Definitely on the list to try now. 

How did it travel? Worth it to pack some to go?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    caliking said:
    You're like our very own BBQ Oracle ! CenTex had mentioned this place just a day or two ago. Definitely on the list to try now. 

How did it travel? Worth it to pack some to go?
    BBQ Matrix isn't happening before our very own eyes, I told him about it a few days ago.

I think it would travel aight, he packed about 6 to go orders before us and he packed em all pretty tight.  I'd bring a cooler and some towels to give it a lil more shelf life.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Ok, added to the list Buddy. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Did you hear that? That was the sound of me heading to the deep freeze to get a brisket out for cooking, immediately after seeing the images and reading your review.
    Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Pictures from my trip to Truth BBQ in July of 2016 - brisket, spare rib, loaded potato salad and mac & cheese. Thoroughly impressed and worth the drive for anyone in Austin/College Station/Houston areas.

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Mom's farm is in Sealy, we get to Brenham from time to time, I will check it out.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Looks great Caz.  I'm going to be in League City in a couple of weeks.  Any recommendations for BBQ in that area?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    wish i  had saw this before driving through there last month.  i did stop at kreuz's though as its my fave
  • The brisket looks good, although a couple of those pieces didn't have enough fat trimmed off prior to cooking.
  • Looks like a great stop on the way to Houston.  Thanks for the post
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Nice. The pictures are stellar @cazzy.  Sure wish they were scratch and sniff.
    Daniel Vaughn (@bbqsnob on Twitter) had just mentioned The Truth a few weeks ago.  Texas Monthly's list could have a very different top 50 coming.  I know a trip to Brenham is gonna happen soon.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • cazzy
    Looks great Caz.  I'm going to be in League City in a couple of weeks.  Any recommendations for BBQ in that area?

My apologies, I meant to reply.  Nothing I know of is in League City.  Pearland isn't too far, so I'd hit up Killen's.  You'll like it a lot.  Good barbecue and incredible sides.  His cream corn is bomb and they have solid desserts too.  Everything is scratch made.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    cazzy said:

My apologies, I meant to reply.  Nothing I know of is in League City.  Pearland isn't too far, so I'd hit up Killen's.  You'll like it a lot.  Good barbecue and incredible sides.  His cream corn is bomb and they have solid desserts too.  Everything is scratch made.
    Get the pecan pie. That is one of the best things I've ever had.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker