Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Steaks

Options
Whats the best time/temp to SV 4 steaks 2 medium rare and 2 medium well done?  

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    130-135 and 145 respectively can't tell you how to sv without 2 units going - reverse sear = same temps but put the medium well steaks in the back and it'll be close to what you want 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Agree with @Hans61  .. for me, the perfect steak is 134 for an hour. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There are tables for this, based on the thickness.  You can look them up.

MR - I cook 120F for an hour or two depending on the thickness.  The sear will increase the temp to MR.   You can do this with a bucket of hot water.  I do this for guests.  I like RAF - Rare As F*ck.  I usually do those 108F and sear.

MW -  Not worth doing SV.  Just cook it until it's ruined, I mean, to 150F plus internal on a grill, oven, etc.  There's no advantage with SV in this case...edge to edge medium well is not hard to achieve.  You don't need a thermometer, just cook until it's super firm. But do keep an eye on it, it gets dry fast.  Avoid lean cuts.
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I SV at 115 for 2 to 3 hours for a 1 and 1/2 inch steak then sear at 500/550 In a CI skillet for 2 minutes a side or to 125/128 then rest to  medium rare of 132/134
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I do 1 1/2"+ ribeyes at 130deg for 1.5 hours and then cast iron sear

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    122 for a strip, 127 for a fatty ribeye, for medium well done(not sure what that is) but i would use steakumms =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    This was a tomahawk & a NY strip both cooked at 139
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    You can cook all 4 at once by cooking the medium well ones first, then drop the water temp and add the steaks that you want medium rare.  That way they all finish at the same time, and the extra 90 minutes or so probably won't make a difference in the medium well steaks.
  • namo442
    namo442 Posts: 13
    Options
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks awesome!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf