Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened catfish on Blackstone?

I normally do mine in a skillet on the grill around 400.   I go for more of a bronzing than a blackening.    Thinking of trying out my new Blackstone tomorrow and this might be the first cook.   Any suggestion for setting to get me around that range? I know zero about griddle cooking.
--Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
28" Blackstone
South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    My 17" tailgater Blackstone will get to the 500s, plenty hot for bronzing.

I would just crank it up to the max, no worries.
    Nice thing about carbon steel, it gets to target in a hurry.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    My only suggestion is if you haven't already gone through a lengthy seasoning process make sure to use plenty of oil or else it will stick. For good measure you could always fry up some bacon first and cook the fish in the bacon grease.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ^^^ I'm with @SmokeyPitt. I would mix your oil with a little bacon fat. I do the same when I cook fish in a Dutch oven. As far as the heat Ingot mine in the 600s when seasoning it. You'll be fine. Post pics!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Yea after some thought I decided to forego first meal on the Blackstone and just do it the tried and true method in a skillet on the grill.   Haven't even had a chance to season it yet but found some good tips posted from @Thatgrimguy  One thing I have noticed though is that what I read vs. what I see on videos regarding the seasoning process tends to vary wildly from what I interpret as a "thin layer of oil".
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • @clemsontyger97 basically what you want to do is put a small dollop of oil in the center and wipe it around with a paper towel.  If you have ever seasoned cast iron you basically want to do the same thing.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god.