Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

shrimp and corn on the cob idea's

Options
stormyddog
stormyddog Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having some company over for dinner, they have never eaten anything off the egg so I was going to t-rex some steaks on the large. On the xtra large (maiden voyage) I wanted to do some shrimps and corn on the cob up. I need some idea's have never done corn so times and temps as well as idea's for presoaking. For the shrimps any marinating idea's?
Thanks
Stormy
1 week till the outdoor kitchen is done, can't wait so post pics

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    stormyddog, I followed the recipe below to some extent. I tried shelling some of the shrimp and not shelling and I really didn't see any difference. I only needed 2 cups of brine and I cut back on the salt a bit. Very good results. I'm not sure where the recipe came from.[p]Brined Prawns
    [p]1 large garlic clove, peeled
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp paprika
    2 tbs olive oil
    2 tsp lemon juice
    2 lbs large prawn shrimp--shells on

1 They don't recommend brining for poaching and other wet cooking techniques. The authors did some tests and found that the brining lets the shrimp retain more moisture when cooked with a dry method (grilling or pan frying, for example). They recommend a fairly strong salt solution, 3 cups of kosher salt dissolved in 5.5 quarts of water for 20 to 25 minutes. (The original text of the book specified 5.5 cups of water, but we suspect that to be a misprint.) They argue that at its best, brining turns potentially mushy shrimp into shrimp with a chewy texture similar to lobster tail. With the shrimp we cooked, this was certainly the case. Some other cooks call brining a sort of "returning the shrimp to the sea" to replace some of the lost moisture.
    2 Mince the garlic with the salt into a smooth paste. Then add the cayenne and paprika and mix together well. Add the oil and the lemon juice to form a thin paste.
    3 You don't want it to be too loose, it needs to cling to the shrimp. Toss the shrimp with the paste until it is evenly coated. You can cover and refrigerate this mixture for up to an hour. We immediately put it on the grill.
    4 If your shrimp is small enough to fall through the grill grate, thread the shrimp onto skewers. We placed ours directly on the grill and turned it once. It should only take 2-3 minutes a side. The shrimp is done when the shells turn bright pink.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    stormyddog,This recipe looks a little bizarre, but it's good. You could completely husk the corn and use foil if you wanted. That's more of a presentation issue. Corn cooks well at a range of temps, but just figure about 30-40 minutes at 350. Have fun, Scott[p]Gourmet Grilled Corn
    [p]8 ears sweet corn
    1/2 cup peanut butter or cashew nut spread
    8 slices bacon

Turn back corn husks and strip off silk. Spread each ear with one tablespoon of nut spread. Spiral a slice of bacon around each ear. Lay husks back in position and place over hot coals. Turn frequently until done.

Servings: 1

Recipe Source
    Author: John Farris[p]Source: BBQ Cooking

[p]

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    stormyddog,
    We're doing either Sandbagger's Lime Cilantro Shrimp or Popsicle's Italian Dressing Shrimp with fresh corn tonight. Skewer and grill for a couple of minutes and WA LA! Very quick and easy and very tasty.[p]Mike

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    LawnRanger, I got to make me some of that...it's been a while.[p]It finally rained this morning. I sat at my house and listened to thunder, no rain, 4 times over the last couple weeks, and finally this morning, somebody flipped the switch and opened the sky. It wasn't much, but we'll take every drop right now. T

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/seafood0408.htm[/ul]
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Please send some of it south!