Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kickash basket?

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
I'm contemplating getting a kickash basket for my large. I'm one of those guys who loads my egg with coal by just dumping it in from the bag - no careful placement of the coals by hand here. I also use up the bags of lump until there's nothing left including coal dust. I do a lot of both smoking and grilling without changing out the coal so I find the old fine coal and ash cake up and impact the draft big time. Would a Kickash basket be the way to go?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    This is a Friday post, you are late. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    KAB in the L is a great accessory.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I like mine.  Speeds cleanup.  If I am about to start a high temp cook, pull the basket, clear the air holes and ensure good airflow.  Put basket back in and dump more lump on.  I am a dump from the bag guy.  No organizing lump in the egg.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Get one 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think they are great.
    Have one in my XL, Large and my Small BGE.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    A big fan of KAB here for my small and large. Unless someone comes along with something better I will always have them! I too dump in my lump however I have learned to take the 15 seconds, grab the 2 KAB handles and give the basket 2 robust up and down shakes.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Have had my kab in a large egg for a couple weeks now.  Dump it in like you do- increase in air flow gets fire hotter quicker, holes in fire box do not get plugged up like before.  Much easier to clean.  Can't miss !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Is it a necessity? Absolutely not. Is is useful and something I would purchase again? Absolutely yes. A little background, I have been somewhat conservative when it comes to BGE accessories and feel like there are worse things you can spend $60 on. I have a large and am also a dumper of lump (you know what I mean).
    Stillwater, MN
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I like mine because it makes cleanup easier. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I just don't get it. To me, it seems like complete waste of 60 bucks. And it's not even stainless! After 7 years, my OEM grate gave up the ghost. I've been using the Weber charcoal grate from my Smokey Joe. Same as the High Que only not stainless. Plenty of airflow. Costs about $7. If it dies too soon, I guess I could buy a High Que, or another Weber. Sure lasts a long time on the Weber though!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    I have 1 in my medium and 1 in my MM.  After lots of use I am kind of in @Carolina Q camp.

They work fine, but not a necessity at all.  More airflow is nice, but lots of ways to get that.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I don't get it, and with my hobbies, I'm kind of an accessory whore.

But then again, there are several forum darlings I don't get either.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    I'd personally get a fishbones grate. Its SS and half the price of the KAB. both make the increase in airflow resulting in fires getting hotter at a faster rate
    LBGE circa 2016
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I noticed no difference when I got mine. I would buy it again though. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Actually it made clean up worse I thought. Shake it and ash goes everywhere. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I use one in my large BGE... removing ash using the tool through the bottom vent is MUCH less frequent now. Plus what everyone else said above. Great accessory!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    buy one! they are great
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Actually it made clean up worse I thought. Shake it and ash goes everywhere. 
    Got one of these at Lowe's. It's the perfect size for the KAB as the KAB will sit on top of the can without falling in. Just rap the basket down 3 or 4 times and the ash drops right in the can.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I liked mine for the two weeks that it lasted.  It made cleaning easier.  I decided to keep the fire grate because I did not want smaller pieces of lump to fall down on the bottom of the egg so I can't really say that it improved airflow.  Unfortunately, the solder joints failed on two of the rings (and most of them on a 3rd one) so it is mostly unusable now.  My dealer doesn't have them in stock anymore and I live in Canada so I am SOL for any kind of warranty.  It is a nice to have product and most here seem to like it and not have problems so I guess I just had bad luck.

Options
    @paqman

Can you get one manufactured up there?  Not sure if there is a patent and doubt it would matter.  A small machine shop could bang it out fairly quickly with minimal cost (I'd assume).
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @paqman

Can you get one manufactured up there?  Not sure if there is a patent and doubt it would matter.  A small machine shop could bang it out fairly quickly with minimal cost (I'd assume).
    @RedSkip a local shop wanted to charge me 40$ to repair it so not worth it.

Options
    paqman said:
    I liked mine for the two weeks that it lasted.  It made cleaning easier.  I decided to keep the fire grate because I did not want smaller pieces of lump to fall down on the bottom of the egg so I can't really say that it improved airflow.  Unfortunately, the solder joints failed on two of the rings (and most of them on a 3rd one) so it is mostly unusable now.  My dealer doesn't have them in stock anymore and I live in Canada so I am SOL for any kind of warranty.  It is a nice to have product and most here seem to like it and not have problems so I guess I just had bad luck.
    Have you contacted Chad at KAB about a replacement? If yours was a first generation there were problems and he sent those who contacted him new ones.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have 1 for my MM, and 1 for the XL and have owned them for two years. I am somewhere short of 1000 cooks.
    During that time, on my XL, I have replaced, under warranty, the dome, and the grate, due to the grate itself, exploding while attempting to reach the temp of 350F.
    That reason, alone, is enough to justify the purchase of a KAB. I specifically chose not fire up the MM, until I bought the KAB, specifically, for that reason. I have not regretted that decision, ever.
    I do find it much easier to clean, and it also provides better airflow than just using the grate. These are facts.
    Some folks on here have found zero value in the KAB. All I know, if you like to keep your eggs clean from ash, this accessory seems to be most beneficial, but, it also provides other solutions to problems while cooking on the BGE, as well.
    For that reason alone (cleanliness), especially following one low and slow after another, while using the XL, I absolutely recommend its purchase.
    Airflow is enhanced, which for long low and slow cooks, practically eliminates any need for long term, constant monitoring, as I found myself frequently doing, when only using the stock grate.
    No matter how carefully you placed the lump, the holes in the bottom grate would tend to be reduced, in many cases, by smaller pieces of lump and/or ash pile. The holes in the fire box and fire rings, as well, would be diminished by that identical issue.
    Another benefit, I had discovered, is how much less effort is required, to reach your desired temperature for your cook, and stabilize for the duration. That is a fact.
    If, and when, I add another komodo cooker to my collection, it will have a KAB. I do cook frequently (as often as 8-12 cooks per week, occasionally requiring the use of both eggs simultaneously) with either the XL or the MM. As such, I know how to use the KABs for my best benefit, and have a full appreciation for their value. 
    I have found it to be extremely beneficial, when tailgating or camping with the MM to remove the KAB to accelerate cool down after a cook, for obvious reasons. You can't easily do that without it. That is a fact.
    As for their durability, as mentioned previously, I have a bit less than a thousand cooks combined utilizing both eggs, and they are left out in the elements (for the last two years), therfore, the KABs have proven their quality. I expect to have to replace them eventually, but as of now, they are running as strong as the day I got them out of the box. They have lasted longer than any of the other accessories I have purchased, thus far, specific to the BGE. That is a fact.
    If you cook frequently, you will realize the time saving, and ease of cleaning, immediately, as well as better airflow. 
    These are not opinions, these are facts.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    No.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    No.
    You have no idea how profound this statement, by this eggers, is. One must see his egg to gain appreciation for his point of view.
    Dude, you are one of the reasons I love this forum.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    @paqman call Chad at Kick Ash Basket I feel sure he will take care of this problem. He is a great guy.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Spend the $60 on stuff that matters, like MEAT
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    Yes.  I got one for my XL.  And though my experience is limited, the KAB has made cleanup easier every time.  Before the KAB, I would kind of stir the leftover coals to clean off the used ash.  So all ash dropped thru the grate holes into the bottom of the egg.

With the KAB, I simply lift it out of the egg and shake it between cooks.  Not nearly as much ash drops into the egg, so ash scraping or vacuuming is considerably less frequent.

Everybody says airflow is better, but I never had any problem before, so can't say.  And I also dump right out of the bag.

I recommend it simply for the easier cleanup.  I'm lazy.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • volminimax
    Options
    Does anyone else have trouble keeping there temps down while using their KAB?

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe