Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuckie Burnt Ends

Options
RedSkip
RedSkip Posts: 1,400
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
Had a few extra left over from a 1/4 cow we purchased this fall.  Smoked at 270F for 7 hours, then wrapped at 160F IT for 3 more hours.  Cubed, sauced, and tossed back on the egg for 2 more hours.

Picture is a shot of them cubed and packaged for this week's lunch.  

Large BGE - McDonald, PA

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'd swipe your lunchbox!  That looks gooooooood!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Now there's a burnt ends recipe I can support.  Great cook-thanks for the suggestion.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great idea.  That's a reason to look forward to lunch for sure.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Great cook. Someone's gonna be jealous of your lunch!

XLBGE 
  • RedSkip
    Options
    I'd swipe your lunchbox!  That looks gooooooood!!
    LMAO, those a fightin' words Fred.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RedSkip
    Options

lousubcap said:
    Now there's a burnt ends recipe I can support.  Great cook-thanks for the suggestion.
    I agree, sure beats an 12 packer cook then 5+ more for the burnt ends.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @RedSkip -  upon further review that must have been a healthy chuckie to take 7 hours to get 160*F.  I usually see somewhere around 5 hours (3.5-4.5 lbs) to get there then about 2-3 hours to get to pulled beef stage (210-215*F).  Regardless, next chuckie is destined for burnt ends.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RedSkip
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @RedSkip -  upon further review that must have been a healthy chuckie to take 7 hours to get 160*F.  I usually see somewhere around 5 hours (3.5-4.5 lbs) to get there then about 2-3 hours to get to pulled beef stage (210-215*F).  Regardless, next chuckie is destined for burnt ends.  
    I had three on and they overlapped a little, about 1.5-2" thick each.

TBH, I missed the target on 200F and pulled them late.  Our little one was getting ready for her nap and had to focus.  

Lastly, I wish I could have had them in sauce longer than I did to help set the sauce more, but was getting pressed by the Boss (SWMBO).

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks awesome man!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf