Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is sirloin tip okay..................

MickeyT
MickeyT Posts: 607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have cooked jerky 3 times now and am going to do my 4th on Saturday.
Making it for my maintenance guys at the shop. Been following me around like lost puppies after letting them try my last batch. :>)[p]No brisket @ my meat cutter. He suggested sirloin tip. Looks to be a lot more work that brisket getting it cut. This should be okay don't ya think? Maybe I will keep it in larger pieces instead of the typical 1/8 x 6 x 1.5.[p]Thanks again GFW for the recipe. I added an oriental garlic paste last batch that pumps up the heat a little bit. I like my jerky spicy.[p]Yhanks in advance,[p]Mick

Comments

• MickeyT.,[p] What do you mean about it being more of a chore to cut? Are you talking about the shape and thickness of the cut in question? Bones in it? If you have a boneless cut of meat that is just oddly shaped or too thick, treat yourself to a good slicing knife with a "granton edge," also known as "kullenschliff" knife. This kind of knife has little oval dimples on the blade that help it slide through meat very easily. I can also say that mine slides through fingers quite effortlessly as well (I still have a numb finger from a little incident a few months back . . .). With one of these, you should be able to reduce that thick cut of meat to small pieces in a jiffy. Mine is a Dexter-Russell Connoissuer 12" granton slicer. Got it from my favorite knife source, Knifepro (www.mastergrinding.com). It is a sweet knife -- forged, rosewood handle, fairly inexpensive, and very, very sharp. You might also ask about Forschner knives -- they are a bit less expensive (they are stamped) and come with Fibrox synthetic handles which are a bit easier to control when you're working with raw, slippery meat. If you don't have a good slicing knife, give them a call and they'll be able to recommend something. If this isn't helpful, I apologize for the commercial . . .[p]MikeO
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    MikeO,[p]And I was just about to send my money to P.O. Box 29000, Atlanta Ga. and allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery hehehe[p]Seriously, you have once again sparked my interest with your knowledge of these exotic toys. I checked out the knifepro site looking for more into on the granton edge but without success. Can you point me in the right direction.[p]Thanks[p]Ken

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    MikeO,[p]Yes Mike, I was talking about the shape of the meat and also the taste as well. Wil it make a difference in the taste with the same recipe using tip instead of brisket. The brisket is so easy to cut because you only have to slice it once. I don't mind spending more time as it is theraputic, and with my job I need therapy.........[p]Mick

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MickeyT., I started with sirloin tip - it turned out some good jerky - it is just more tender and as a result won't be quite as chewy as the brisket jerky. Last time I replaced the Hoisen sauce with some Szechwan Sauce and the Szechwan Stir Fry Sauce with a litte Hot Chili Sesame Oil - good stuff - you just don't eat too much at one time and always with something to drink! Have a great weekend :~]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    KennyG,
    This might be what you were looking for.[p]Larry

[ul][li]Dexter Knives[/ul]
  • KennyG,[p]Check out Southwest Saw for pictures of the Forschners. Mine is about the same size as the model 40240. KnifePro doesn't have a very fancy website, but they have very good prices on their knives. Plus, they have a huge selection in the shop and are very helpful when you don't know exactly what it is you're looking for. That's why I keep going back to them when I get impulsive and decide to add to my collection of Globals . . .[p]MikeO[p]BTW, I got the Sumeet Asia Kitchen Machine for Christmas. It's like the Sumeet Multigrind (you're the one that bought one a while back, right?) with a more powerful motor and extra attachments. Could not believe how fast it ground up a batch of Cat's Rib Paste!
  • YB,[p] That's the right place, but they don't have many pictures (I can usually find a picture somewhere else . . .). Have to call them to get an appreciation of all the stuff they have in stock . . .[p]MikeO
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    MickeyT.,
    I do it "The Lazy Man"s Way". Wait till Kroger has "Tip" on sale for $1.99 per LB. (good in our area) Buy a 9 or 10LB roast, and have him slice it it 1/4". It helps to buy your meat at the same place and know the butcher by his first name. There is no extra charge for this. Take it home and cut out what little fat and conective tissue there is, and you've got GRRR...ATE!!! meat for Jerky. Just made some before Christmas. The best I've made so far. Two kids in college. Gad they go through a lot of jerky.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    MikeO,[p]My Sumeet was a good investment and I use it all the time. I checked out the larger models and then decided that the multi-grind has all the capacity I need for grinding coffee and the spices I generally use. [p]Ain't it great - Cat's spice paste in 30 seconds.[p]K~G