Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef heart anyone?

Options
Dr. Chicken
Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok folks, help me out if you can! My in-laws just got calves butchered and they gave me the hearts. The guys up at the deer shack fix heart, but they normally do it at home and bring it to the shack. I know its delicious 'cause I've eaten it. Any ideas would be appreciated. I don't want pickled beef heart if that's an idea. My wife would never go for that. Give me some ideas and ways to cook it. Please!!![p]Dr. Chicken

Comments

• olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    What I do with dear hear is to cut off any fat, cut out all the valves and fiberous material utill I end up with chunks of meat. I then marinate in soy sauce, garlic and wine and usually stir fry.

• Fingers
    Fingers Posts: 37
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, Here is a recipe that I have tried and think its excellent.
    1 3-5 # beef heart
    1 med onion
    1 stalk celery
    1-2 bay leaves
    water to cover.
    simmer until done approx 1 1/2 hrs. cool
    3/4 cup flour
    salt/pepper to taste
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 tsp thyme
    1Tab vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    mushrooms Fresh or canned[p] cut meat into slices place flour salt /pepper in bag and shake sliced meat until covered. Brown meat in oil after browning return meat to pan add Garlic,thyme,vinegar,and water. cover and cook until tender. (you may have to add a little more water) serv over rice or noodles.

• Fingers
    Options
    Fingers, Sorry Dr. Chicken I for got to add the Mushrooms during the last 15 minutes of cooking and mention that when you boil the heart do it uncovered (the cooking pot) in the egg adding any type of wood you like for smoke. the result will be a light smoke flavor and a very tender piece of meat.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Fingers, how would that work with some of the tougher beef roasts. I can almost taste that one now?
    C~W[p]

• Fingers
    Options
    Char-Woody, I think that it would work out very well.IMHO the reason for the Vinegar is to act as a tenderizer and the other spices add to the flavor. In the couple of hearts I have done there is very little vinegar odor or flavor. so the same method should work for any other beef cut as long as it is sliced. [p]
  • Fingers, Its worth a try..thanks..C~W