Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: SOUS VIDE FAJITAS

Options

I asked this in another forum and never got an answer, Could I cut my Steak and Chicken into Strips before I Sous Vide them? I am asking because I want to be able to cover all sides of the pieces with seasoning.

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Why not try them both ways this time and let us know.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JT272929
    JT272929 Posts: 106
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I have no problem doing that, just want to make sure the chicken is going to cook properly so its safe to eat.

West Des Moines, IA. Pit Boss K24, Anova Sous Vide, Maverick 733, BBQ Guru Party Q, Looftlighter

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Any piece of meat can be cooked properly as long as it is cooked to temp. One whole chicken breast or 6 slices of chicken breast can all be cooked to 165 IT. Only variance may be cooking time to get individual pieces to temp. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    JT272929 said:
    Photo Egg said:

I have no problem doing that, just want to make sure the chicken is going to cook properly so its safe to eat.
    Smaller slices will come to temp a little faster. Safety is not an issue compared to cooked a whole breast. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This looks promising, and has been moved up the short list...even though Al Pastor is the taco cart king.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/01/how-to-make-sous-vide-carnitas.html#comments-300327
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Any piece of meat can be cooked properly as long as it is cooked to temp. One whole chicken breast or 6 slices of chicken breast can all be cooked to 165 IT. Only variance may be cooking time to get individual pieces to temp. 

With SV you don't need to cook to 165 F. 165 F is the temp at which you have instant pasteurization 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    serious eats SV carnitas is interesting . . . love how you can cook 100%, toss bag in fridge, and worry about crisp later . . . I would want to finish on BGE to crisp with heavy smoke.  Post if you try it first!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Biggest thing is if you want steak med inside, cook before you cut. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2017
    Options
    NDG said:
    serious eats SV carnitas is interesting . . . love how you can cook 100%, toss bag in fridge, and worry about crisp later . . . I would want to finish on BGE to crisp with heavy smoke.  Post if you try it first!
    I'm with ya 100%.  A smoke pre SV or during the crisp up in slabs as mentioned wouldn't suck.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    good to hear @focker . . to me, any SV with a lazy sear and/or NO smoke it turns out super boring.  This one could be nice.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”