Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork chop

cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
family was out so it was pork chop for one, this was very tender and moist

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Great looking pork chop.  The last shot is a winner.  Does it still take on some of the taste from the Egg?  
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • It has a grilled taste. It was on the medium for about 2 minutes per side at 550 or so. Probably the best chop I've ever made. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Now that looks great!!
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Looks like a top chop.  =)
  • Nice! How long was it in the tub?

XLBGE 
  • @MrCookingNurse, I cooked it at 140 for 2 hours. Will probably go to 136 for the same amount of time on the next batch. Got nine of these at Costco for 14 bucks. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I am about to start experimenting with sous vide, so I have no experience -- this may be a dumb question, but it looks like you've got your Anova set to 140° but the chop is in the bath when the temp is only 133.5°.  Which temp did you want, and which temp did it cook at, and for how long?

Thanks!
  • @Theophan, the target temp was 140. The 133.5 was the temp of the hot water at the tap. I filled it, dropped the vacuum bag o meat in, and turned it on. It came up to 140 about 5 minutes later or so. 
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Theophan said:
    I am about to start experimenting with sous vide, so I have no experience -- this may be a dumb question, but it looks like you've got your Anova set to 140° but the chop is in the bath when the temp is only 133.5°.  Which temp did you want, and which temp did it cook at, and for how long?

Thanks!
    @Theophan he probably dropped it in prior to it hitting temp while it was coming up. That's what I do. Makes no difference in any finish product and minimal impact on timing. The set point is what you're concerned with as that will be the IT of your meat at the end. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • SV pork chops are incredible 

i did these 1.5" ones last night 

• GregW
    Have you considered brining the the pork chops? the certainly didn't need it form a moisture aspect, but I've used brine to a great benefit to get seasoning into a thick pork chop. 
  • GregW
    Theophan said:

Thanks!
    This is not related to your question per say, but I use an ios app called Poly Science Sous Vide Toolbox. There are other available also that really take the mystery out of cooking times and temperatures.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    @Theophan, the target temp was 140. The 133.5 was the temp of the hot water at the tap. I filled it, dropped the vacuum bag o meat in, and turned it on. It came up to 140 about 5 minutes later or so. 
    maso said:
    @Theophan he probably dropped it in prior to it hitting temp while it was coming up. That's what I do. Makes no difference in any finish product and minimal impact on timing. The set point is what you're concerned with as that will be the IT of your meat at the end. 
    Many thanks!  I finally broke down and bought an Anova unit because I was so disappointed at not being able to find pasteurized-in-the-shell eggs at Christmas, which in past years I've used to make safe eggnog.  But now that I have the thing, I'm sure I'll try a bunch of other stuff, too.  High on my list are pork chops and pasteurized-then-seared burgers.  I've been cooking burgers well done for years, now, because I'm leery of the bacteria.  I gather you can't pasteurize meat rare, but even medium will be a lot better than well done!

GregW said:
    ... I use an ios app called Poly Science Sous Vide Toolbox.
    Thanks -- I'll have a look at it!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    You achieved some top notch branding on that sucker. Bravo! Looks delicious.
  • @MrCookingNurse, I cooked it at 140 for 2 hours. Will probably go to 136 for the same amount of time on the next batch. Got nine of these at Costco for 14 bucks. 
    do they sell the whole loin? usually a lot cheaper, and you can just hack these off and vacuum seal.

looked great by the way