Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instant Pot Recipes-OT

Options
jeffwit
jeffwit Posts: 1,348
I saw @paqman's post about the Instant Pot and the replies that followed. I got one for Christmas, and was wondering if anybody would share some recipes for their pressure cookers. @caliking mentioned a curry, I saw a cheesecake, etc.
I know I'm giving @SGH a platform to talk about cooking squirrels and anus, but I would like some things to try. 
Thanks. 
Jefferson, GA
XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
“Honey, we bought a farm.”

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    odd as it has been for me, I have never cooked with a pressure cooker. I saw one explode when I was a snotty nosed brat, and never wanted to deal with that.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    search pressure cooker on Serious Eats website, lots of great recipes, I would say most are simple preps with maybe 8-10 ingredients
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    odd as it has been for me, I have never cooked with a pressure cooker. I saw one explode when I was a snotty nosed brat, and never wanted to deal with that.
    Current models won't explode. Best way to deal with falling off a horse is to get right back on the horse - time to buy a pressure cooker. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I mostly do green beans, pintos, butter beans. I also have a good recipe for a chicken, carrot and lentil stew. Kale is super quick, 10 mins or so. The dried beans can be done without the usual overnight soak in 30 mins max. My mom cooks green beans on the stove top for a good 2-3 hours. In my PC, it takes 30 minutes. 

I have a stovetop PC so I get 15 PSI. Electrics are 10-12 PSI so they take a bit longer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• outrageous
    Options
    Thisoldgal.com.   and instant pot community on Facebook,   lot of great dishes....

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Cooks Illustrated published a book called Pressure Cooker Perfection in the past year.  Not a huge amount of recipes, but it definitely got me started and was worth the nickels.  
    Just this last weekend I tried "winging it", without a pressure cooker recipe;
    Green Chile Stew:
    5 or 6 green chiles (Hatch or similar), roasted, seeded, skinned and diced
    1 box chicken broth
    28 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
    2 or 3 russet potatoes, diced but unpeeled
    1 diced yellow onion
    3 or 4 minced garlic cloves
    1 Tblspn salt
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1 bloop of Tabasco
    1 lb ground pork
    1 Tblspn peanut oil
    Saute onion in the oil until just beginning to brown, throw in garlic until fragrant, add pork and stir until it just loses any pink.
    Throw in everything else, lid it up, and I cooked it for 25 minutes at "Low" pressure.  The tomatoes didn't fall apart like I wanted, but the potatoes did like I didn't want; next time I'll either run the tomatoes thru the food processor first, or use Yukon Gold or even red potatoes and cook a bit longer.  
    Textures weren't perfect, but the taste was; YUM!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• jeffwit
    Options
    Thanks, guys. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options

A coworker who introduced me to these swears by the hard "boiled" eggs and mashed potatoes made in the Instant Pot.  I keep pretty low carb so I'm not into a wide variety of recipes but here are a couple of my favorites:

http://predominantlypaleo.com/instant-pot-shredded-salsa-chicken/

http://www.healthstartsinthekitchen.com/recipe/low-carb-pressure-cooker-pork-roast-with-mushroom-gravy/

https://stupideasypaleo.com/2016/07/14/instant-pot-bone-broth-recipe/

When I cut up a chicken I always save the backbone, neck & wing tips and freeze them.  The last recipe is nice because you can take all those parts frozen and make stock.

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    edited January 2017
    Options

The Washington Post ran an article yesterday touching on the Instant Pot that described how recipes should be adjusted based on whether one was doing a traditional braise, using a slow cooker or a pressure cooker.  It was an interesting read.  You can find lots of pressure cooking recipes on the net.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/the-instant-pot-is-a-hit-but-what-if-you-have-a-recipe-that-wasnt-designed-for-it/2017/01/09/8a64390e-d377-11e6-9cb0-54ab630851e8_story.html?utm_term=.4364b94b067c

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    The cheesecake recipe I tried came from here: http://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-cheesecake-new-york/

I used a 6x2.5 round mold and cooked 33 Minutes instead of the 25 minutes recommended in method #2.  The middle was just a bit liquid so next time I will cook 35 minutes.  I may also try to put a layer of foil above the mold to prevent water spots.  I froze the crust before pressure cooking everything and it was surprisingly crispy.

Options
    Instructions for the yogurt came from here:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/factsheets/yogurt.html

Options
    For the ribs, I removed the membrane, rubbed with Dizzy dust, put 1 cup of water in the pot, placed meat on the trivet and cooked under high pressure for 20 Minutes (will cook 18 minutes next time).  Turned off heat (keep warm = off) and let the pressure come down to zero naturally (it is better for meat) about 10 minutes.  I then basted with BBQ sauce and broiled for 8-10 minutes on the low setting.

timing info here:  http://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pressure-cooker-baby-back-ribs-cooking-time/

Options
    Please let me know if you find anything worth trying 

Options
    Thanks! Best thing we've done is chicken and dumplings. Cooked a whole chicken and then boned it and added it back to drippings and broth and stuff. It was delicious and much faster than our traditional way in the slow cooker. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • Jeffroe189
    Options
    My wife has been talking about getting one of these. Are they worth it? What size and model would you recommend?
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • jeffwit
    Options
    My wife has been talking about getting one of these. Are they worth it? What size and model would you recommend?
    We like ours. To me, it basically replaces a crockpot, but cooks a lot faster and doesn't dilute the flavors out as much. We got the larger Instant Pot without the Bluetooth/wifi option. No real science behind picking that one-my mother in law gave it to us for Christmas. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Bob Warden's "Great Food Fast" is good cookbook for the Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker.    Lorna Sass's "Cooking Under Pressure" is also very good.  Both are available on Amazon.  There are hundreds of recipes on the internet (pinterest & facebook).  I have used mine for pot roast, beef stew, chicken stock, vegetable stock, chick peas, and chili.  Having recently acquired Sass's book, I think I will be branching out.  Would have used it to make yogurt, but we have have an old Salton yogurt maker that works fine.  I like the Instant Pot.  Easy to use and pretty much fail safe if you follow directions.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)