Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First pork tenderloin tonight--one of those ones pre-marinated (this was garlic/lemon) that you can grab out of the meat section of the supermarket. Got home, reignited some old lump w/new added, and after hitting 375, threw the tenderloin on 2 minutes each side f/searing. Then a drip pan and the pork on top of it on another grid for indirect at 325 for 35 minutes. Truly amazed at the uniformity of cooking throughout, but more than anything, the moistness. By the way, an hour before it went on, I did coat each side with fresh ground black pepper, and lemon pepper. I can't wait to try my Puerco Adobo. p.s. This was done with a little left-over mesquite that was in my old lump from my previous Egg meal, but none soaked and added on purpose, at my wife's request for "no smoke" --- but I sneaked a little in anyway!! Hah.

Comments

• not Jo
    not Jo Posts: 22
    Options
    Big Murth,
    This sounds like heaven and very easy. How do you have your drip pan installed? I used a throw away aluminum foil one but it was a bit wobbly. Did you mop it with anything?
    Thanks!
    Jo

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Big Murth,
    For Christmas, we had filet mignon and king crab. Since a
    few of our group didn't want the filet, I took a pork tenderloin (unflavored) and cut it into medalions (sp?). I marinated it in oil, lemon juice, garlic and paprika for 24 hours, drained the marinade and sprinkled with lemon pepper.
    Then I cooked it with the steak at 750 for about 2/2/2/2 with no dwell but multiple flips. It was the best meat I have ever had, and I bought it in WalMart!
    Chuck

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    tender3.jpg
    <p />Big Murth,[p]These little critters are a favorite around here! I am doing these on my small Egg at 350 direct for 30-45 min or until the internal temps reach 150-160. I use Char-Crust on them for a darker outside but they are wonderfully moist inside. No smokey taste at all either.[p]Tim
  • Big Murth
    Options
    not Jo,
    No mop at all. I put a pan (yes, the throwaways work great too) on top of the regular grid, and then put a smaller grid (read grill) on top of the pan sitting on the larger grid, and put the tenderloin on top of it. BGE sells a smaller grid that has arms with hooks that swivel, that can act like a V-rack, sort of, or....can function upside down, by hooking itself below the regualar grid, hanging lower and closer to the fire itself. In this case I sat it above the grid/grille and of course, above the pan. The tenderloin is so lean, however, that I'm not sure you even need the pan, as not much dripped off. My major concern was having too much grease drip and start to cool the fire and my temps down. Bon Egetit!

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I have been considering getting one of those "instant" read digital therms like in your picture. Wallyworld sells one that looks very similar to the one in your pic for $11.99. How "instant" are they? Do you have to wait 30 seconds for the temp to report like my digital fork? My analog meat therm reads in about ten seconds and you can see how fast the needle reacts. (Thats what I like about analog devices vs digital.) Do you like your digital instant read?[p]Carl T

• Big Murth
    Options
    Carl T,
    Carl, at my BGE dealer, they sell a small instant read thermo, that is writing pen size, and even fits in a penlike sheath with pocket clip, so you can just pull it out and insert into meat and have a place to put it back for the next time, and not lose it under a dish, hot mitt,etc. The only drawback I see, is that the face is slightly larger than a quarter, and my deteriorating eyesight makes it tough to read the numbers on Fahrenheit side, but you can quickly scan the more easy to read Celsius. I paid $10 for mine, at Woodfields, in Albuquerque.[p]

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Carl T,
    Seems like I've acummulated every kind of "INSTANT" thermometers I run across.Got a Polder first,it seemed awful slow reading to me,sometimes took about 20 seconds to settle down,I was afraid I was losing all my EGG heat,but maybe thats no problem.Anyway the one I use now is a Taylor,the type heating and AC crews use .Its not real fast but seems better than digital speed wise.Just my 2 cents worth:~) Bob