Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for seafood in all the wrong places

Options
Living in Kentucky I have realized that there are not many places that have decent seafood options. Being an Alabamian I got used to fresh gulf seafood. Can y'all link me some options to get decent seafood? I realize it will most likely be frozen, but I am jonesing for some fresh scallops, snapper, and some gulf shrimp. Thanks in advance for any and all help! 

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

Comments

• coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    Options
    There are some guys that fish in the Gulf each week who opened up a couple of shops in KY.  The one I am familiar with is in Elizabethtown.  They had fresh shrimp, mahi, grouper and more the other day.  Lots of other things as well.  The have a second location but I can't think where it is and I am too lazy to look right now.

Look them up on Facebook.  ABSeafood
  • coomdaddy
    coomdaddy Posts: 128
    Options
    2nd is in Paducah.
  • humbleprisoner
    Options
    coomdaddy said:
    There are some guys that fish in the Gulf each week who opened up a couple of shops in KY.  The one I am familiar with is in Elizabethtown.  They had fresh shrimp, mahi, grouper and more the other day.  Lots of other things as well.  The have a second location but I can't think where it is and I am too lazy to look right now.

Look them up on Facebook.  ABSeafood
    Awesome, thanks for the help with this. A friend of mine here in Wilmore reminded me of Charlie's in Downtown Lexington, but I am going to have to give these guys a look. 

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    alot of seafood is frozen at sea, even the display that says fresh. i usually hit the frozen raw shimp over the fresh display which could be days old. scallops are another story, if they are not dry or day scollops walk away.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Kentucky seafood. Let's see. Head into town. Pass the KFC and look for a little yellow building.  They'll hook you up. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• humbleprisoner
    Options
    Kentucky seafood. Let's see. Head into town. Pass the KFC and look for a little yellow building.  They'll hook you up. 
    Lol. When I first arrived in Kentucky I thought this was my only source for sure! 

• fishlessman
    Options
    atleast thats not long johns silver =) worst fast food onthe planet
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My mother loves Captain D's. I had never been so I took her there. Once. Wow.

Mom's 100... I think her taste buds have seen better days.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Is there a Restaurant Depot near you?
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    So, does the fact that I like the fish at Long John Silver make me someone who can't be trusted on matters of taste?  I have to admit that it is one of my guilty pleasures and I often go there when my wife is out of town.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited January 2017
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Good idea.
    Even Sam's Club or Costco in a pinch would be better than most grocery stores for quality frozen.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    So, does the fact that I like the fish at Long John Silver make me someone who can't be trusted on matters of taste?  I have to admit that it is one of my guilty pleasures and I often go there when my wife is out of town.
    ours is half taco bell, i get the tacos and love them =) fast food fish for me is mcdees or wendies if the have it, its been off the menu but they still carry it. i cant eat long johns. grew up with clam shacks everywhere
    fukahwee maine

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    So, does the fact that I like the fish at Long John Silver make me someone who can't be trusted on matters of taste? 
    Yes :smiley:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    The fact that fish admits to taco bell destroys his credibility too.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The fact that fish admits to taco bell destroys his credibility too.
    no credibility here on mexican, i would cover it with taco bell packets or those magical wendy chili packets if i could =)

heres a salad with no lettuce =)

Image result for taco bowl fishlessman

and some chili pie for dessert

Image result for taco bowl fishlessman

and what mexican place uses purple cabbage in a taco although its a fishy pink taco =)=)

Image result for shrimp taco fishlessman

fukahwee maine

• humbleprisoner
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    I am not sure I will have to check into that. What kind of store is it? 

• Carolina Q
    edited January 2017
    Options
    RD is a wholesale restaurant food and supply store. Some sell fresh fish, but others only frozen. You can get a card if you own a business or day passes if you are a KCBS member. But there's only one in KY... in Louisville. Also Cincinnati (and other OH places). Long way to go for food.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• humbleprisoner
    Options
    RD is a wholesale restaurant food and supply store. Some sell fresh fish, but others only frozen. You can get a card if you own a business or day passes if you are a KCBS member. But there's only one in KY... in Louisville. Also Cincinnati (and other OH places). Long way to go for food.
    Louisville is about a good 2 hour drive for us, but I am willing to travel if it's worth it. Debating on trying costco over sam's very soon. And I may make a day trip and go to Cincinatti and shop at the exotic meat store that is there, not sure of it's name though  

• Foghorn
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Foghorn said:
    So, does the fact that I like the fish at Long John Silver make me someone who can't be trusted on matters of taste? 
    Yes :smiley:
    @kl8ton, I figured as much.  :s

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Options
    haha, I'm not a Costco member because I know I'd never go there... it 20 miles away!

You mean Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati? Heard it's cool place.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    haha, I'm not a Costco member because I know I'd never go there... it 20 miles away!

20 miles? Your life circle isn't very big. Lol
  • fishlessman
    Options
    20 miles for groceries for me in my area is like at the end of the world =) resteraunt depot is maybe 6 and i still have not gone =)
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Options
    20 miles for groceries for me in my area is like at the end of the world =) resteraunt depot is maybe 6 and i still have not gone =)

Are you walking to the store?  Or do you have a bicycle?

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Are you walking to the store?  Or do you have a bicycle?
    the grocery places are packed in around me, within a couple miles im looking at 7 butcher shops, 6 market baskets, a couple shaws, superstop and saves, couple hannafords, sams, couple superwallmarts, couple fishmongers, and all the little markets. they put the cosco near boston, 20 miles in that direction is alot longer away than it sounds. i get all my food and beverage shopping done during a 30 minute lunch and the best market here serves lunch =)  and i found out the local dairy will deliver milk, cheeses, steaks etc for about 4 dollars a week, i might make that happen this spring just to have a ribeye mid week
    fukahwee maine

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Key Largo Fisheries.  
    keylargofisheries.com
    It's stone crab season and lobster season down here, so those they could send those fresh, as well as yellowtail snapper and pink Key West shrimp.
    theLobsternet.com - for Maine lobster.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• humbleprisoner
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    Key Largo Fisheries.  
    keylargofisheries.com
    It's stone crab season and lobster season down here, so those they could send those fresh, as well as yellowtail snapper and pink Key West shrimp.
    theLobsternet.com - for Maine lobster.
    Thank you sir! Looking into them now. 

• humbleprisoner
    Options

You mean Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati? Heard it's cool place.
    Yes, that's the place. I was told I could get some crazy stuff, and so a buddy of mine are planning on taking our wives and letting them go shop while we go "shop" ourselves and try not to blow our monthly budgets.