Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork loin roast

Options
Picked up a 2.5 pound pork loin today and was wondering if anyone has a proven recipe they have used in the past. Would like? Never really looked at the price for this in the past but I found it on sale for 5.25 today for a 2.5 pound piece. I figured it was a good price so I am going to try it.
XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Is that a pork tenderloin?
  • sjm1027
    sjm1027 Posts: 154
    Options
    Yes it is
    XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 
  • GregW
    Options
    I don;t cook them very often, but they do well with salt and pepper. You can also do most anything, maybe even lemon pepper. The key is to not overcook, it's a very lean cut. I would cook to 140 Deg F internal and let rest. the temp should increase up to around 145. I think this is the new temp guideline from the USDA.
    If you can come up with a glaze to put on at the final few minutes that will greatly help the flavor.
  • sjm1027
    Options
    Yes I agree I am going to keep this one simple for this 1st cook and if I like it ramp it up a bit. Overnight rub of salt and pepper. Glaze of honey, brown sugar, vinegar and cherry juice might be good too. I will post pics when I can. The weather has not cooperated lately.
  • GregW
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing your results.....I'm sure it will turn out great.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
    Yes it is
    Loin is not a tenderloin. 

Crazy. But true!
  • sjm1027
    Options
    Package said: 2.5 pound pork loin
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
    Package said: 2.5 pound pork loin
    What is the thickness?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • sjm1027
    Options
    About 4.5 to 5 inches round
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
    About 4.5 to 5 inches round
    You got yourself a loin then.  For me,  usually loin = indirect cook, tenderloin = raised direct. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • sjm1027
    Options
    Ok, that's good to know. So there is a bone in it and can be cut into a few chops?
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    If it weighs two pounds and is skinny and long and tapered, it's a tenderloin

round and the diameter of a softball? Loin

you can buy the whole loin usually in cryo and part it out into reality roasts and chops. 

But a tenderloin is a one-meal cook
  • sjm1027
    Options
    More softball like
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Pork Tenderloin is one of the most under appreciated cuts of meat to grill. I marinate withe teriyaki and pineapple juice, and smoke it with Pecan. It is tender and delicious. Everytime I serve this, it is awesome. A great wine pairing is Pinot Noir, or nice Rosé. You can't go wrong.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • sjm1027
    Options
    What temp and cook time do you do for 2.5 pound? Direct or indirect?
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    I cook them indirect around 300.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @YukonRon when you say "smoke it with pecan" are you still going Direct?  What ratio have you found works best for the teriyaki / pineapple juice marinade?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    Options
    The ratio is what ever I have in the house at the time, I would guess I do a 50-50 blend? Another way to do it and I have used this, a lot, Is buy the marinade already made. You can find it at your grocery store, buy the least expensive store brand. put the tenderloin in a baggie, pour in the marinade to cover the meat. save some for a quick baste prior to serving. 
    I cook it indirect, and I do it low and slow. It still does not take long. Most people will cook it direct, like a large steak, hot and fast. It is good either way. If you do it hot and fast, add more wood chunks or chips. to get more smoke quickly.
    You will love this cut of meat. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Dude said he has a loin tho. Not tenderloin

could still go direct with it, raised. But i tend to roast these. 

Might be better to slice as chops and go direct with your marinade
  • YukonRon
    Options

I do loins the same way too. Works out very well really well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
    Ok, that's good to know. So there is a bone in it and can be cut into a few chops?
    Doubtful.  Loins are normally boneless.  The bone would be on the outside and very noticeable if it was there.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited January 2017
    Options
    sjm1027 said:

Loins are usually sold boneless

pork chops can have a bone or be boneless

you have a pork rib eye, essentially 

rack of pork would have bones for example. A loin as you have has had them removed

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Loin is done indirect at my house and I have taken to brining them. Cook to 135-140, rest and slice. 
  • sjm1027
    Options
    I will give it a try indirect and cook to 155˚ for the first cook. if it's to dry then I will crank it down in 5˚ until it's perfect. May take a few cooks to get it right but what the heck, I got the time  :)
    Thanks to everyone that responded.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    150 max including carryover. 
    Not a lot of fat in these

i cook to about 140-145 and let stand
  • sjm1027
    Options
    I went on Thermoworks page and found the following:

This is great news for home cooks who can now feel confident in preparing their chops, loins and roasts to a perfect medium. And you can bet that pork cooked to the USDA recommended temperature of 145°F (63°C) will be juicy, tender and perfectly pink.

So I will go to 145˚ for sure. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if you still find it dry at 145 back the temps down next time =)pork loin is a good inexpensive cook.  people freak when they see it pink and juicy, then the germans grind it raw, add salt pepper, onions,into a roll, wrap it up, into the pocket and go to work to eat it later ;)  theres a little sliver of meat that runs down one corner of pork loin, its the best part, good to get on that before others know what they are missing =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    Options
    I do these very frequently. Marinate in zesty italian dressing all day. Cover in dry rub of choice. Spin it on the Joetisserie over apple wood at 225-250, until internal temp of 140-142. Let stand for 15-20 min. Will be moist and tender. One of my friends/family's favorites. Hard to beat. Our local grocery often sells these at $1.59 lb. Just bought a 13 lb loin on Sunday for $12 with Dillons card. Sticker price was $26.99.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited January 2017
    Options
    They respond great to a wet brine.  I did one that was bone-in for Christmas Eve.  Brined overnight then spread with an herb paste and cooked raised, indirect on rack over a pan of root veggies and a bit of apple cider to catch drippings for gravy.  Removed when IT hit 140.  Was a huge hit.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA