Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pecan Smoked Chicken Wings

Options
Smokes rolling on a few pounds of wings. 
Go SEC

XLBGE 

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Saucing it up. One side jack Daniels. One side SBR

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Locking in the sauces

XLBGE 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Awesome cook!  I made some this weekend in the oven (didn't want to hassle in the cold), and what a mistake they turned out to be!  Egg wings are crispy and flavorful, nice cook.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You're looking locked in brother!  Go SEC.  Enjoy the eats and game.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Looking good. I just pulled a butt and some sausage off the egg. Its in FTC right now. Roll Tide!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Thanks guys. Adding some franks!

XLBGE 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    They look great. If you could just drop those off around halftime it would be greatly appreciated.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Do you ship?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I was rushed through the cook. Got home latter than expected. Wanted about 3 hours to work but only had about 1.5. Guest were well well well pleased so I guess that's what was important. I would have liked to go a little lower longer to crisp up the skin but had to do 350ish for an hour then saucing and direct the last bit. Really nice flavor combination. Bad Byron's, jack daniels, and franks. 

Thanks Guys. 

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Pick up a bottle of this next trip to store. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Nothing better. I love chicken wings on the BGE as much as anything I can cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    Pecan smoked wings are the way to go. I may do it next weekend.
  • B727
    B727 Posts: 18
    Options
    How much lower temp would you have gone if you'd had the time? I'm getting ready to do a bunch in the next few days and it sounds like that I could use your expertise.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @B727
    hey man. I'm no expert but what I'd like to do is 250ish for about 2 hours. A little sear after saucing has never hurt anyone. 

Or or you can raise direct at 425 for a faster 30-45 minute cook. 

XLBGE 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Great looking wings-
    Something I do if going with two different flavor profiles, I apply one to the flappers and one to the drumettes.  Keeps it simple for me.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Why do you pile them up like that?  Is that how you do the entire cook?

Just wondering the technique as if that works out, I can fit more on the egg.  I've been putting them single layer, sometimes two racks.   A pile would be nice.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @KiterTodd

i don't pile them the whole cook. Just sometimes. If you pilled the whole cook, I would think some in the middle would cook uneven. I started out with everyone laying flat. In the first pic. 

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Great looking wings-
    Something I do if going with two different flavor profiles, I apply one to the flappers and one to the drumettes.  Keeps it simple for me.
    Your sir are a genius. 

XLBGE 
  • Chase2016
    Options
    Would you do the 250ish for 2 hours on direct or indirect?
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Chase2016 said:
    Would you do the 250ish for 2 hours on direct or indirect?
    Indirect  ;)

XLBGE 
  • Chase2016
    Options
    New to the BGE, I must say I gotta try some wings on here they look freaking awesome
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Chase2016 said:
    New to the BGE, I must say I gotta try some wings on here they look freaking awesome
    You are correct! So many variations to explore. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Chase2016 -  a major key to great wings is to give them a good overnight (if possible) or several hour exposure uncovered in a fridge to dry the skin.  If not possible, you can hit them with a light dusting of corn starch (or both) before proceeding with any cook prep recipe.  And then the whole process is as wide open as you can imagine.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chase2016
    Options
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Chase2016 -  a major key to great wings is to give them a good overnight (if possible) or several hour exposure uncovered in a fridge to dry the skin.  If not possible, you can hit them with a light dusting of corn starch (or both) before proceeding with any cook prep recipe.  And then the whole process is as wide open as you can imagine.  FWIW-
    @lousubcap , when you dry them like that, can you get any spice to stick?  I just did some, (after this thread tickled my tastebuds).  I rubbed them w/ peanut oil, then tossed in an envelope of Lipton Onion Soup Mix.  (The same stuff you mix w/ sour cream for chip dip.)  Let sit ~24 hours.

Then indirect @ about 275-300 for a couple hours.  At the very end, opened bottom and top vents wide open, let come up to about 425... only took a few minutes.  Did that to see if it would crisp up the skin.  It didn't.

Wings were delicious, but skin was not crisp... maybe even just a tad tough and leathery, (like the skin on most of my smoked chikin).

If you dry the skin, can you get any shake or spice to stick before cooking?
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I don't have an issue with the dry rub not sticking but I will hit them again when I flip them while cooking.  I run very raised direct (about 4" above the gasket line) at 350-400*F. Flip after around 15 mins, then wait another 15-20, flip again then figure out the finish (run dry rub  and sauce after the cook or sauce and back on).  FWIW-
    BTW- I do the overnight dry on any chix cook.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Great looking wings!
    LBGE
    AL