Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New KJ's are shipping

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Lit said:
    A buddy of mine has the old BGE hinge that locked in place. I have more than once tried to force it down and it's really annoying since I'm used to not having it. If I was used to it it wouldn't be so bad.
    No doubt there were folks complaining about the switch from the old locking dome support and the spring hinge...

"How can I be sure the dome won't slam shut on its own?"

"What keeps the springs from opening the dome on its own?"

"How can one be sure one of those springs won't break and hit me in the eye?"

Etc., etc., etc.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    A buddy of mine has the old BGE hinge that locked in place. I have more than once tried to force it down and it's really annoying since I'm used to not having it. If I was used to it it wouldn't be so bad.
    No doubt there were folks complaining about the switch from the old locking dome support and the spring hinge...

"How can I be sure the dome won't slam shut on its own?"

"What keeps the springs from opening the dome on its own?"

"How can one be sure one of those springs won't break and hit me in the eye?"

Etc., etc., etc.
    a majority of the first year spring hinges were replaced  ;) i had one of the originals that were made in mexico and babied it for years before bge sent me a new one. they were a disaster =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:
    you can unlatch the lid in the same motion as when you opening the grill.  it's very simple and takes no additional effort.
    How do you know that?
    I'm a former KJ employee and I've seen it in person
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    @alynd, do you have any other insight into the new stuff?  Cap, gasket, etc. 
    VA Beach
  • alynd
    I haven't actually seen the new gasket in person, but I'm certain it's going to be the best in the industry.  Someone on another thread said it looks like what you'd find in an oven, and that is exactly correct. It's supposed to be able to withstand constant temperatures up to 1000F without breaking down. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    alynd said:
    I haven't actually seen the new gasket in person, but I'm certain it's going to be the best in the industry.  Someone on another thread said it looks like what you'd find in an oven, and that is exactly correct. It's supposed to be able to withstand constant temperatures up to 1000F without breaking down. 
    Like the Weber one. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:
    you can unlatch the lid in the same motion as when you opening the grill.  it's very simple and takes no additional effort.
    How do you know that?
    I'm a former KJ employee and I've seen it in person
    No longer work there?
  • VB_egger
    @alynd, any other info?  Does the cap seem like it will function well? 
    VA Beach
  • alynd
    The design looks pretty cool.  I'm not sure if there will be much improvement as far as functionality outside of the settings staying in place when you open the lid.  
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Did you have to leave because of that darn glaze poisoning I've heard so much about? :)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I wonder if @The_Buffalo has a secret handle on the KJ forum? :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • HeavyG
    alynd said:
    It sure looks like a pretty fine weave. It's made by this company - https://www.davlyn.com/

KJ is considering offering a lifetime warranty on the new gasket. Might be a safe bet on their part.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Hans61 said:
    It really bothers you that some folks talk about other cookers here doesn't it? :)

You're welcome to go to the KJ Forum and talk about BGE stuff. Lot's of us over there also own/owned/use Eggs.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    @HeavyG talked with John the other day and he stated that initially they are going to offer a 5 year on the gasket.  Also said the firebox design should all but eliminate warranty claims. I hope it works out for them at KJ, they are actually really nice people and a joy to talk with.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• alynd
    I owned an egg before going to work for KJ.  I'm just answering some basic questions, that's all.  I won't bash either side. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    HeavyG said:
    Hans61 said:
    It really bothers you that some folks talk about other cookers here doesn't it? :)

You're welcome to go to the KJ Forum and talk about BGE stuff. Lot's of us over there also own/owned/use Eggs.
    @heavyg - Thanks for the invitation, I can't throw the first stone on that issue and I don't mind discussing other cookers,I occasionally post/discuss Weber stuff. 

I don't think you understood my post. It was meant to be humorous not anti Joe
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • VB_egger
    @alynd, do you happen to know what the new upgrades will do to the prices? How much will they go up?
    VA Beach
  • alynd
    I do know, but I don't know if KJ wants the specifics  out there just yet so I'm going to have to keep that information to myself out of respect for them.  One change that hasn't been discussed much is that the stand alone units will no longer come with stainless steel trim.  The hinge in stainless steel was too cost prohibitive. 
  • HeavyG
    alynd said:
    I do know, but I don't know if KJ wants the specifics  out there just yet so I'm going to have to keep that information to myself out of respect for them.  One change that hasn't been discussed much is that the stand alone units will no longer come with stainless steel trim.  The hinge in stainless steel was too cost prohibitive. 
    Safe to assume then that the standalones will be cheaper then?

• alynd
    Yep, you are correct.  
  • VB_egger
    That's cool I like the stand alone models. 
    VA Beach
  • alynd
    One last note... I don't think grills are actually shipping to dealers just yet.  I'd expect it to be another month or so. 
  • HeavyG
    VB_egger said:
    That's cool I like the stand alone models. 
    They did look pretty sharp with all the stainless steel.

• The stainless looks great. I really wish BGE would use it 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Just submitted a patent for a weight that attatches to the KJ handle.  Removes the need for the latch!  I'm gonna be rich.  Wahoooo!!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • I have seen on BookFace that the KJ folks are saying about a $250 increase in price and are expecting shipping by march. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    edited January 2017
    This is what they also said about the new big joe on the kj facebook $1899 for the big Joe but loaded with upgrades. Hinge / Top vent / Fire Box. Big Joe up$300 and classic $200.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I'm not up on KJs.  I thought they were all standalone?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Seems like a lot of great changes - but to me, it seems like a step back to delete the stainless bands
    Phoenix