Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Cap with Temp Controller

Hi,

Just doing my first cook with a couple of Christmas presents.  I received a smoke ware cap and a flame boss 200. The Flameboss provides guidelines for how much opening with the daisywheel cap (minimal).  I have the smoke ware cap open a little, but when the flame boss starts blowing with the fan, I am watching smoke come out of the lower vent area and the top.  I am wondering if I have the setup correct.  Anyone use these 2 products with their egg?  Mine is a large.

Thanks

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    What you are describing is normal.  If your temp is stable then your settings are correct.  When I run mine the SW cap os open less than the width of a dime.  Smoke will puff out from around my gasket in some areas too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • dperrin
    dperrin Posts: 21
    Thanks Ozzie.  Ribs have been on for about an hour and the temp is set to 225. It has touched 225 a couple times but seems to be hanging around 220 +/- a degree or 2.  I think I read the thing has a learning mode and maybe that is why it is not getting it up to and holding at 225.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    A degree variance of 5 degrees should not make a difference. Try opening the cap a smidge and it should raise the temp.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    dperrin said:
    Thanks Ozzie.  Ribs have been on for about an hour and the temp is set to 225. It has touched 225 a couple times but seems to be hanging around 220 +/- a degree or 2.  I think I read the thing has a learning mode and maybe that is why it is not getting it up to and holding at 225.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.
    How's often is your fan running?  I like mine to run about 25% of the time.  Some like it to run less than 10% of the time.

If your fan is in that ballpark then let it ride.  If it is running more than that open the SW cap a smidge.

It should sit at 225 just as set.  I suspect your cap needs to be opened a little.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    What you are describing is normal.  If your temp is stable then your settings are correct.  When I run mine the SW cap os open less than the width of a dime.  Smoke will puff out from around my gasket in some areas too.
    I agree, only having used my new FB a handful of times since I got it for Christmas, but I too was surprised by the volume of air that little fan can move. When it is getting up to temp, I have smoke being pushed out the top vent (i have the stock daisy wheel, but don't think it matters), and some areas around the gasket, but once it all stabilizes and the fan is only on occasionally, that all stops. So I think what you are describing is normal. FWIW

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• dperrin
    Here is my cook...  Ribs went on at about 12:00 on the time scale.  Now just over an hour into the cook.  Temp seems to be starting to stabilize closer to 225 now...Please see chart attached.
  • dperrin
    Oops, looks like the timescale did not get copied.  12:00 is in the middle of the chart.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Overall things look good on your graph.  I would bump the top open ever so slightly and see if it settles in at 225.
  • dperrin
    Thanks all.  Looks like I may have jumped the gun on calling in air support from you guys.  It now seems like it is settling in at 225.  Took over an hour to do it. Appreciate all of your help.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I turn the learning off on my controller because I swap between my eggs.  The few times I ran it with learning, it overshoot and brought the temp back.

It looks like @MichaelCollins may have adjusted the code a little.  Either way you are headed to a successful cook.

If you want some fun, put your pit probe in your oven.  My last oven had a sawtooth temp profile that was +35/-5 degrees.
  • Graphs look okay to me. I usually run the smoke ware cap at about the width of a pencil or less.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    There is my most recent one for your comparison 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• I turn the learning off on my controller because I swap between my eggs.  The few times I ran it with learning, it overshoot and brought the temp back.

It looks like @MichaelCollins may have adjusted the code a little.  Either way you are headed to a successful cook.

If you want some fun, put your pit probe in your oven.  My last oven had a sawtooth temp profile that was +35/-5 degrees.
    How do you turn it off?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I turn the learning off on my controller because I swap between my eggs.  The few times I ran it with learning, it overshoot and brought the temp back.

How do you turn it off?
    Its in an advanced menu, been a whike, but I will look through my notes and see if I can find it.
  • I turn the learning off on my controller because I swap between my eggs.  The few times I ran it with learning, it overshoot and brought the temp back.

How do you turn it off?
    Its in an advanced menu, been a whike, but I will look through my notes and see if I can find it.
    Thanks!
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    I open mine the size of a pencil earaser for the 225-250 range, double that for 350. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    I run with no cap on the smokeware unless I need low and slow. At the moment the FB is holding my large at 350 without issue. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416

I also use my Flame Boss on multiple eggs. Should I shut the learning off on one? How do I do that? 

I did notice when i switched grills that it spiked the temp and brought it back down. Had issues keeping the fire going because of the spike and little oxygen during the drop. Also noticed it was a little unstable in the beginning of the cook. I just figured it was a fluke though. Maybe not?
  • There is no need to turn off learning to use Flame Boss controller on another cooker. This may have been recommended with an older firmware version. It does not help any longer. Furthermore, your temperature control will be more precise as the cook progresses because of the learning. It is a patent pending feature that none of our competitors' controllers have.

The controllers are programmed to overshoot the set temperature slightly on the initial startup to trigger the learning feature. If your temperature is overshooting more than 10˚, be careful to not let the fire get too large before closing the Egg and installing your controller.
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    There is no need to turn off learning to use Flame Boss controller on another cooker. This may have been recommended with an older firmware version. It does not help any longer. Furthermore, your temperature control will be more precise as the cook progresses because of the learning. It is a patent pending feature that none of our competitors' controllers have.

The controllers are programmed to overshoot the set temperature slightly on the initial startup to trigger the learning feature. If your temperature is overshooting more than 10˚, be careful to not let the fire get too large before closing the Egg and installing your controller.
    Thanks for the information. 

It is likely that the fire was big when I hooked up the Flame Boss. Once the temp settled, it ran a very good for the rest of the cook. I am very happy with the purchase of the Flame Boss.

My biggest struggle is knowing when to put it on. Should I bring the grill up to temp with the FB? Or wait until the grill is stable, then hook it up?

• Cashfan said:
    My biggest struggle is knowing when to put it on. Should I bring the grill up to temp with the FB? Or wait until the grill is stable, then hook it up?
    You should be able to use it successfully either way as long as the fire isn't too hot to start off with. People have different preferences.

I prefer to light my grill with my Looftlighter and set up my controller immediately. If I am using a paraffin starter, I will let it burn for 5-8 minutes before installing the controller and closing the lid. Then I prep my meat. By the time my meat is ready to go on the smoker, the temperature of the pit is stable and it has quit puffing out heavy smoke.
  • @MichaelCollins is there a way to turn the backlit screen off?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    There is no need to turn off learning to use Flame Boss controller on another cooker. This may have been recommended with an older firmware version. It does not help any longer. Furthermore, your temperature control will be more precise as the cook progresses because of the learning. It is a patent pending feature that none of our competitors' controllers have.

Good deal!  I went through my notes and it looks like the background settings menu has changed.

You are correct, the setting change was recommended for a FB100, before the FB200 rumours even started :)  It was a few years ago.
  • @MichaelCollins is there a way to turn the backlit screen off?
    No. We do not include a way to turn off the backlight.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    If smoke is coming out the gasket, then I would open the top vent more. The fan is working too hard to push air in and you are shortening the life of the fan.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.