Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you use too much lump?

Options
2»

Comments

• KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Options
    KingtUT said:
    With water in the pan the highest the temp will be is 212° (Boiling point)  You were not grilling the chicken but more along the lines of steaming it.  Ditch the liquid, use a dry drip pan and run your done up to around 400-425.  Chicken fine in under 1hr.  

Maybe im misunderstanding something here but having water in the pan doesnt mean the egg temp cant get above 212...
    Check your temps right above the pan.  The steam coming off the water can not be above boiling temps.  

The water cant get above 212.  I know that.  The green egg and the steam however can exceed 212.  Thats all im saying.  I do get what your saying as far as it having an effect on the chicken cooking slower.  Makes good sense. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Without pressure, that steam cannot exceed 212. Fluid mechanics are awesome. 
  • KingtUT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Agree. I guess my previous post was a bit vague. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    And you'll never get crispy skin in that environment

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The only other things to note on the water pan......

-They serve their purpose when you have something really fatty sitting above and you don't want the fat dripping something hot and making bitter smoke.  Plus, instead of water, you can use beer, apple juice, cider vinegar, etc to introduce a slightly different flavor profile.

-If you are using a water pan on a low and slow, you better keep an eye on it.....because when all the water is gone, then the temp is going to shoot up.  If you have it tuned in for 250F, with a bunch of water, the process of evaporation uses a ton of heat.  So once it stops using all that heat, it's going to raise the grid and dome temp unless you throttle it down.

1 calorie = amount of energy it takes to raise the 1 gram of water by 1C.  And 1000 calories = just under 4 BTU's.  So, I'm sure there's an equation here!!!  :)
  • Wpilon
    Wpilon Posts: 42
    Options
    I don't think that's quite right. Steam can be heated to any temperature notwithstanding the pressure, yes heating it raises the pressure, but you can vent it to relieve the pressure while maintaining the temperature. It's water that can't exit in a liquid state above 212 without pressure.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    @stlcharcoal,  as I recall the equation goes along the lines of, E=mc2 but I'm checking out of this deal  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KingtUT
    Options
    Wpilon said:
    I don't think that's quite right. Steam can be heated to any temperature notwithstanding the pressure, yes heating it raises the pressure, but you can vent it to relieve the pressure while maintaining the temperature. It's water that can't exit in a liquid state above 212 without pressure.

pretty sure this is 100% correct. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Saturated steam temp vs pressure. 

• KingtUT
    Options
    Can't get good conversation like this using a gasser. Lol. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @kingut  nerds don't use gassers.