Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For all the Egg Forum Oldtimers............

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
do you guys go a little nuts when you see questions such as "want to cooks ribs for the first time, any suggestions", or "cooking a butt tomorrow what do I do", etc. I've only been on the forum about 3 years and have lately been asking the question "did you do a Search on the new forum first?" Do you wish there was a better way to organize certain posts so the same old basic, newbie questions are answered already. [p]Or do y'all like the same questions? I guess those that respond to the questions do, those that don't respond don't. Nevermind.....I answered my own question.[p]Howard

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Howard,
    Not really, but that's why I built my website, so that I can refer people to my answers, rather than type them over and over again....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Howard,
    the thing ive noticed with this forum and the way its set up is that you give a little basic knollege to someone thats just staring out with an egg, and a year later they are putting out the best food and your learning something from them. the recipes and the quality of food just keeps getting better as well as all the new techniques that you would never of learned.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Hmmmm. Good question. Sometimes, when I think to myself that someone should Google the archives or check out Whiz's or WessB's site, I take into consideration that I was one of those "newbies" a long time ago asking similar questions. Lots of folks responded with helpful responses then and most of them I am now proud to call friends. Over the years, I've helped my share of new Eggers learn the ropes. Now, I pretty much sit back and let others respond. When I have time, I actually read some of the "How do I?" posts and I've learned a thing or two from doing so. It's kind of an evolution thing. There is usually more than one way to do just about anything and the folks on this forum come up with some great ideas.[p]I guess the bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, is that this is the friendliest, most helpful forum I have ever visited on the net and seeing "newbies" told to "go search somewhere" or "find it yourself" would pretty much change the atmosphere of this site. So, I don't mind seeing the same questions over and over again.[p]All the best,
    Jim

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Howard,
    Do remember when you were the new guy on the block with his feathers puffed out?Had my egg four years,never posted untill last year.It is a great way to improve your skills.Its a two way street.

• aka mr. Earl
    Options
    JSlot,[p]What you said....[p]Yeah, it worked for us, so why would we want to 'fix' things for the newer newbies. [p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    aka Mr. Earl,
    i'll second that commotion!! . .and you know, when thanksgiving and xmas roll around, the mad max hotline will be open for old and new alike :-)

• Whitetail
    Options
    Howard,
    I have had my Egg for 1.5 years and still consider myself a newb. FWIW about a year ago I was searching for a substitute ingredient. After no luck in the archives I posted the question and mentioned in my post that I had no luck in the archives. Nature Boy responded to my post. He gave me the answer and he told me to quit searching the archives and just post. He said it’s what keeps the forum lively and other lurkers probably had the same question anyway. I still search, but post more readily after his response.[p]Funny thing is it was Saturday and I needed a substitute for a DP product, as I didn’t have any. He told me how to make a substitute rub. I thought damn this guy just told me how to get around using his product. On that Monday I placed an order for 5 of his rubs. That’s the kind of guy I want to do business with.

• Dr_Redwine
    Dr_Redwine Posts: 189
    Options
    Whitetail,
    I second that. Chris is the type of guy you want to do business with. I posted a question about cooking brisket one time and he CALLED me to give me some pointers. [p]I thought about how special I must be, and then it hit me that he probably does that for other folks, too. LOL. He's a really good guy that I hope to meet in person one day.
    DrR

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    Howard, sometimes the archives are not as "user friendly" as one would like. In addition, it's nice to get the links and some of the recipes have been updated 2 or 3 times over the years. Good example... the place setter, the double/triple rack configurations have changed pizza, bread, calzones, butts and on and on ..

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Good. Because by the time they roll around again, I've already forgotten all of your tips from the year before. [p]LOL[p]Hey max, how do you like the new blog?
  • The Naked Whiz,[p] APPLAUSE !!!!! TNW ....You're my kind of guy !![p] There's always a better way and, in this case, you've figured it out. [p]Tom B (EggSport)

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Howard,
    The recent influx of new Eggers is absolutely incredible, and is a tremendous endorsement of this great cooker. I guess that sometimes it would be easy to sit back and become frustrated with repetitive questions. However, whenever I think about my first posts and the excitement that I felt (and still feel) about the Egg and this Forum ,....well,....I can certainly understand the exuberance and the desire to belong to this group. It's sort of a rite of passage. I think it's long been recognized that there is something very special about the way this Forum operates. These posts...repetitive or not, are just part of the deal.[p]As I've often said...these are some of the best friends I've never met.[p]Mike

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    another great one..."which size egg should i get?"
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I admit to a certain amount of burnout when I see the same question come every day.[p]Maybe there should be a FAQ on the main page saying Read this FIRST and then pointing to resources like the Whiz's page.[p]Toy Man
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    Howard,
    Me thinks you are a little hard on us new
    egg owners. I looked for a fresh duck recipe but did not have much luck. I then posed the question on this forum, and had several replies, and have now used two of them. To those that responded I was so very gratefull, and have now made many new friends through this medium.
    Willie

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Howard,
    Someone below used the term "rites of passage", and I think that has a lot to do with it. I remember back a couple years when I was the newbie, and the helpful, friendly responses I got no matter how trivial or just suffering from inexperience were my questions. I tried, and still do from time to time, to keep the ball rolling by being as friendly and helpful as I can be (sometimes that's easier than others...) And I'm delighted to see that though I may post less, others have stepped in to say "throw out the manual", "fill the firebox all the way full", "get the biggest Egg your wallet will allow", etc.[p]Dr: "You're crazy."
    Patient: "I want a second opinion."
    Dr: "My second opinion is - you're still crazy."[p]Ken

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi Whitetail,
    I've found the DP lads to be very user friendly.
    The reason for my post is I don't think you can get around the DP rubs that easily.
    A rub is a rub is a rub, true enough but DP puts out an excellent product with excellent customer service. A hard combo to beat. (Chris I wanna talk about that raise soon) lol
    Cheers,
    bruce

• Newie
    Newie Posts: 7
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, JSlot, Fishlessman, The Naked Whiz and others,
    We are all the richer for your wit and wisdom! Thanks[p]Kenney

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi BlueSmoke,
    I think you've got it in a nutshell.
    In certain rooms it's called passing it on.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• Willie,[p]No.....I'm not making a judgement on what other people do....I was just curious of the all yrs some of the oldtimers just get a littel frustrated. Obviously, it's working as many still answer the same questions with the same gusto. [p]And I did ask basic questions at first because the Search on the old forum just didn't work well. But now I honestly go directly to the new forum first to do a Search. I think it gives me a better perspective as I can see answers that have a full range of years. Concepts, ideas and methods all change.[p]Thanks,
    Howard

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Howard,
    I have no problem answering a new owners question. While not exactly a oldtimer as I have only had my first egg for about 18 months. I have asked many questions and I still do. I always read the posted answers as I myself sometimes learn a new and better way to cook. Any help that I can provide is concidered payback for all the help I have received. My advice to all newcomers is to go to the Naked Whiz's web ste along with WessB's web site. Both a valuable recourse of information. There are many other eggers with web site that have good information.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Howard,
    I by far am not an ol-timer I have had the egg for almost a year and have learned alot from the forum, My wife and kids say I am addicted, well so be it. I just recently am semi retired because of some health problems and I am really enjoying this forum and my egg. I do get a kick of some of the questions that come up I spose some of the ones I ask are thought of the same way. But as I say so be it. ROCK ON BGE AND FORUM!!!
    Gerry

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    Howard,
    Yes, I agree we old times do get frustrated at times, I sure do. Getting back to the point of the question, I did a search but found little help with my duck question. But in many instances most questions can be obtained by going that route. When I see a posted question, I either pass over it, or reply to the newbie.After all it is an open forum.Have a good night, and happy egging.
    Willie.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Whitetail,[p]If Nature Boy gave you a formula for a rub, I'd suggest mixing it up in large quantities, putting a funny label on it, and then marketing it . . .
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo my friends,
    I have learned how to really cook the food that makes your guests go "wow" from the advice I have from gleaned here.
    I read the responses to the new questions and I have learned from that. The info is priceless...the evolution...from "have a shot" to sponser...Nature Boy & company...logo..cookbooks..
    MM on page 298(?).
    I still learn and try to help...sorry if I p.. some folks off at times but that's my typing.
    Wish Houndog and K~G would reappear. HD sent me a biga** box of pecan because I was interested, no $ up front, he wanted me to cook w/ it. On & on.
    I'm still waiting for the mother ship to send me my XL.
    Thanks everyone.
    DTM[p]PS...Doug; Mariners are on the tube doing a job on the Rocket's team. Cricket???WTH
    Yo R&J...How are the chilies holding out?[p]

[ul][li]My first post I think[/ul]
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Howard,[p]I'm always impressed at the way you guys answer the same newbie questions over and over, graciously and enthusiastically. It's one of the great things about this forum.[p]Gwen
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Howard,
    The only question that makes me nuts is the "how do I cook this 1.5 lb brisket?" that seems to pop up every day and a half or so. [p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Howard,
    Not sure I'm an old timer but have been here awhile, I don't always have access to a puter so don't post/ask or answer as much as I used to. I never get tired of trying to help someone if I can. All the good people that have put up with me makes it very easy to try and keep this forum what it is. It's a great family here and I hope it stays that way.[p]I have a different forum I frequent and in my opinion they are a tough group to get in with. Most of what I read when people outside the "Click" ask a question is, do a search, do you have a paid membership??? or a smart answer that is of no help at all.
    I am most comfortable here due to the fact that most everyone is trying to help each other.[p]Regards,
    Borde

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Sometimes those questions are annoying because some folks buy an egg...spend alot of money....eggspect great results right from the get-go....and want to be led to those results.....And there's nothing inherently wrong with that...lol....[p]And it's important to realize that in this day and age...folks are inherently lazy...and want a quick answer to everything and that's the information highway age that we live and thrive in...[p]Perhaps it's better to condition newcomers....the sites developed by nakedwhiz, wessB, DizzyPig and others are GREAT sites....and when newbies ask questions...we just simply refer them there first......[p]I was lucky...have a GREAT local dealer...and found the nakedwhiz site immediately...And I guess that's because the name of his site caught my attention...and I HAD to check it out!...And I read the whole dang thang the first time I visited![p]No easy answers....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Howard,
    Not at all. I remember when I was a puppy and discovered this site. I had tons of questions that I'm sure had been answered before, but people chimed in and helped me out.

Apollo Beach, FL