Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Like Brisket?

Brisket seems to be the "Man's BBQ" protein of choice.

People talk about it like the mouth drooling Mt. Everest that all must strive to perfect.

Does anyone just not like brisket?
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Sacrilege! 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I love brisket, but I love pulled pork equally.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Paging @focker ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I really like Brisket. However there are things that I prefer over it. Anus and clod comes right to mind. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Honestly, though, brisket is not my favorite BBQ meat. Give me pulled pork or beef ribs any time. But somehow it seems like a cook I need to conquer before I can appoint myself as a "good" cook. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited January 2017
    I hate waiting for a brisket! 18 hours and counting. :angry:
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Pulled pork just can't be beat for me. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    WeberWho said:
    I hate waiting for a brisket! 18 hours and counting. :angry:
    I smoked a15 lb SRF last night a 240.  Start at 915 and planned for lunch time.  Woke up at 630 and it was already at 185.  It finished at 9am.  Less than 12 hours!

Sat on counter for 30 minutes, FTC for 2hrs.  It was fine.  Best brisket I have had, but not my favorite thing.  I guess after the build up I expected fireworks.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I like brisket but it is not at the top of my chart.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Brisket is my favorite item to cook, by far, because I am always learning more as I go. I want to get to perfect, I am still miles away. My favorite food, off the egg, is ribs. They are always better, off the egg, than any other way I have cooked them. 
    Last night's meal was given the highest compliment from our guests. Nobody wanted to use any BBQ sauce, although a couple were made available. They were juicy, and delicious, without the aid of sauce. It is the Egg.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Good or bad, brisket or pork, just feed me!!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    I really don't know if I like it or not. The only place that has it on the menu around here is a place named Jim and Nicks. They are not known for great BBQ. To me their brisket, while moist and tender tastes just like pot roast.
    Is pot roast what it's supposed to taste like? 
    We are in the heart of pork country here in central Alabama.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited January 2017
    @Ozzie_Isaac. I hear ya, brisket does make for some wicked omelettes the next few days though!  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    GregW said:
    No sir, it's not. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Brisket alone to me is ok I guess. But I really enjoy it as an add on, like brisket chimichangas or tacos. 
    VA Beach
  • I love brisket, but only when it's boiled.  ;)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I love brisket, but only when it's boiled.  ;)
    Jeez, you had to go there. LOL.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GregW
    SGH said:
    GregW said:
    No sir, it's not. 
    That's what I thought, every time (both times) I've tried to cook a brisket I've made a mess of it. I think they were both flats, they turned out dry and tough.
    It kind of demoralizes a guy to have repeated failures.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I gotta admit that I thoroughly enjoy the challenge of every brisket cook as the variability makes each one a journey unto itself.  That said, I have the utmost respect for those central Texas food trailers that can consistently crank out top quality brisket.  Obviously the skill set is well above my pay grade but something to which I aspire.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    I have only done 6 or 7 of the things. As much as I enjoy it, I like left-over brisket chili better. And scrambled eggs with brisket is great. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited January 2017
    Brisket seems to be the "Man's BBQ" protein of choice.

People talk about it like the mouth drooling Mt. Everest that all must strive to perfect.

@Carolina Q ?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Guilty as charged. Give me a chicken breast any day. Or liver.

That said, the only brisket I've ever had, I cooked. If I'm ever in TX again, I'll give it another chance.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GregW
    edited January 2017
    lousubcap said:
    I gotta admit that I thoroughly enjoy the challenge of every brisket cook as the variability makes each one a journey unto itself.  That said, I have the utmost respect for those central Texas food trailers that can consistently crank out top quality brisket.  Obviously the skill set is well above my pay grade but something to which I aspire.

I've got a feeling that brisket is more of an art than a science. It would be a lot easier if there were exact rules to go by. I'm pretty good at science, but I struggle at anything art related, where you have to go by feel or intuition.
  • If your down in Texas, Bob Wills is still the King. However, brisket is a close second. Man I love Texas BBQ!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I'd much rather have beef plate ribs than brisket. I've made a few really good briskets but they are not at the top of the list for me.  I'd rather have beef ribs or a good pulled chuckie 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • We chase it because it's difficult.  It's like Everest, except nobody dies of frostbite.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I actually didn't care for brisket at all until I learned how to make them with my egg Texas style with basic season and smoke.  In Mississippi you'll see it on the menu and its twice the cost of pork, and your always disappointed because it just tasted like bland roast your aunt ruined.

But now I'm in brisket love and it's most requested for large family gatherings. 

I'd much rather have beef plate ribs than brisket. I've made a few really good briskets but they are not at the top of the list for me.  I'd rather have beef ribs or a good pulled chuckie 
    Now I had some killer beef ribs last week, just insane flavor and tenderness. Actually they were in our hospital cafeteria… I'm not really sure how they got there but they were amazing.  I would have posted them on here with pride if i had cooked them.

XLBGE 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Prime Rib is my favorite but Brisket is cheaper!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    My wife doesn't like it. When I made the SRF briskey her response was "That's the best brisket I have ever had, but I still don't like brisket."

Also not my fovorite. I will take beef ribs over brisket if I am just cooking for the family and in the mood for beef.  We do bbq pork and chicken fsr more often though. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.