Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock chicken! Quit wasting beers and try this method for cooking chicken

Options
Hey hope you all like this video. Some of my friends keep hounding me about giving them help with their beer can chicken. I keep telling them to try this out that you end up with a far superior product. Let me know what you think. https://youtu.be/VGbJ4viJvWs

Comments

• pescadorzih
    Options
    Love doing them spatchcocked. I feel the meat has a more tender texture and is just as moist. Along with a nice crisp skin. :)
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Old news :) spatchcock rules the roost
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• rockymountaineggster
    Options
    Nice! I won't go back to beer can after finding spatchcock, I have two going on in a few hours myself.
    Parker, Colorado
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I spatchcock a minimum of twice a month.  The only way.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Cutconcrete1
    Options
    Looks great! I've got two for tonight as well. But going to try them direct/raised at about 400 degrees. Hope mine come out that well. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've never understood the beer can chicken cooking method, to me the spatchcock method yields a superior bird.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Been doing spatchcock for a couple years now. I prefer to drink my beer!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Fun video to watch.  I like to cook them raised direct, with the thighs flipped upside down and pointed toward the back of the Egg.  The Naked Whiz site has an article debunking the benefits of the beer in a beer can chicken, but their site is down right now...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Marty_Huggins
    Options
    I've never heard of spatchcock chicken but seems like a lot of work for a chicken. I just do it the way Dr. BBQ does it. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. Plus he's hilarious!
    Sumter. South Carolina
    Bring Your Broom, Cuz it's a mess
    Medium BGE, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle
    2 Pugs (Muffins and Poundcakes)

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Yes only way to do a bird, I even cut out all the breast bones as it makes serving easier.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I've done plenty of beer can chicken, but now that I've discovered spatchcock I have no need to cook whole chicken any other way. It's quick, easy, and oh so tasty. I go indirect at about 375 to 400. Melt in your mouth tender in about an hour. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I've never heard of spatchcock chicken but seems like a lot of work for a chicken. I just do it the way Dr. BBQ does it. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. Plus he's hilarious!
    Spatchcock is the opposite of a lot of work.  Probably the fastest and easiest way to get er done 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Marty_Huggins
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Spatchcock is the opposite of a lot of work.  Probably the fastest and easiest way to get er done 
    well I'll have to try it then. 
    Sumter. South Carolina
    Bring Your Broom, Cuz it's a mess
    Medium BGE, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle
    2 Pugs (Muffins and Poundcakes)

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I haven't tried spatchcock yet but instead of beer I use pineapple
  • kwdriver
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Been doing spatchcock for a couple years now. I prefer to drink my beer!
    I'm with you 100%. Although I'm braising some beef ribs in some choc milk stout right now. 
  • kwdriver
    Options

Hntnhrd said:
    I haven't tried spatchcock yet but instead of beer I use pineapple
    Save the pineapple juice for your rum drink. Give this method a try and you'll never go back. 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

Let me paraphrase from a while ago:

'The chicken insulates the beer can, thus it doesn't get hot enough to 'steam' and moisten the bird before the desired finish bird temp.'  160-180 vs. 212 or more.

Spatchcock rules!

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options

Let me paraphrase from a while ago:

'The chicken insulates the beer can, thus it doesn't get hot enough to 'steam' and moisten the bird before the desired finish bird temp.'  160-180 vs. 212 or more.

Spatchcock rules!

At the risk of overplaying my hand as an amateur scientist, I'm going to agree with you. That is my thoughts exactly. The beer never gets hot enough to generate any steam or impart any flavor to the bird. I don't know where this whole beer can chicken deal got started. It certainly looks impressive and has a ritual feel to it getting the bird ready for the grill, but I don't buy into it.