Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camp Brisket - January 2017 (pic heavy)

Options

For those that aren't aware - Camp Brisket & BBQ Summer Camp are events put on by Foodways Texas at Texas A&M once a year. Seating is limited, so to get tickets you have to be a member of Foodways Texas - and then you get the chance to enter the lottery drawing for tickets. I've been a member for years and just recently won tickets to BBQ Camp (last July) and lucked out with a ticket to Brisket Camp this past weekend as well. 

Camp Brisket is two days of anything and everything brisket - I counted and we sampled 13 different briskets over the course of two days! I just got home last night and went out and bought some salmon for dinner - no more red meat for a little while!

Camp Brisket Agenda:

Having just been to BBQ Summer Camp - some of the content was similar, but it was a great two days of Brisket and BBQ fanatics. 

Biggest learnings:
  • Know you pit & cooking rig as well as your wife (to quote Wayne Mueller "both have hot & cold spots, and it's key to know what those are") - this seems like a "duh" but so often we just cook without really knowing our eggs
  • Competition and Restaurant cooking are wildly different - comp cooking is done to impress with one bite while restaurants have to hit every note with the entire cook
  • REST your brisket for longer then you think - this is one that I'm going to work on. 100% of the pitmasters there recommended resting for more than 4 hours. In the past - I've cooked my briskets to close to 200 and then pulled and threw into a cooler within a few minutes. Well turned out - that's probably the number one reason my briskets tend to crumble a bit more then I would like (see more on the rest below). 

All of the pitmasters I talked with and that were on the panels agreed on these things:
  • Cook to 183-190 at max (carry over will do the rest)
  • Wrap the brisket to rest (some wrap after the stall - in pink butcher paper only) and rest the brisket "outside" (not in a cooler or warmer) to let the carryover cook finish and then let the temperature start to decline. Once it hits about 160-150, put it in your cooler/warmer and let it hit 140-150 before slicing/serving. 
  • Trim enough to leave 1/4" to 1/2" inch of fat - and leave the fat side towards the heat. So in an offset, the point should be towards the firebox and the fat cap up. In an egg - the fat cap should go down (I've always done fat side up - so will try this next)
  • When checking temp, check the flat only - the point will be fine
  • If the thinner parts start to get crispy on you, "boat" them - meaning cover just that part with foil to protect it

Day 1 Lunch was a taste test to determine if we could tell the difference between cuts of brisket - Select, Choice, Top Choice, Prime & Wagyu. In a blind taste test of 50+ people, everyone selected Prime & Wagyu as the better overall taste test. All of these were smoked with post oak, seasoned with S&P and cooked on the same rig (to maintain even testing parameters)

Day 1 dinner was brisket and shortribs prepared by Evan LeRoy - formerly of Freedmans' in Austin

Day 2 breakfast was a chuck wagon breakfast prepared by Homer Robertson & crew - and mercifully did not include brisket.

Day 2 Lunch was a taste test across 4 types of wood smoke: Post Oak, Mesquite, Hickory and Peach. Mesquite surprisingly won out, but not by a large margin. Post Oak was #2 - hickory and Peach basically tied (there was some statistical math I didn't understand)

And for a snack - Roegels BBQ brought some pastrami (brined brisket)

Day 2 dinner was a tasting between wrapped and unwrapped briskets - no scoring done here, but I preferred the unwrapped while the wrapped was more "pot roasty" (I've recently started wrapping my briskets after the stall but am going to revise that thinking)

As you can see from the agenda - there was a lot more then food happening - including a lot of great panels that covered everything from the anatomy of a brisket, how to trim a brisket and how to manage your fire.

And the final panel was an indepth discussion on the life of a pitmaster - including what it takes, why you should/shouldn't do it and the biggest things they see in the industry.

Final Panel: Aaron Franklin (Franklin BBQ), Wayne Mueller (Louie Muellers), Evan Leroy, John Brothernton (Brotherton BBQ), Bryan Bracewell (Southside Market & BBQ), Tootsie & Kerry Buxley (Snow's BBQ), Russell Roegels (Roegel's BBQ) & Dr. Jeff Savell from Texas A&M.

I had a great time and highly recommend you check it out if you are interested.
Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker

Comments

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    That's well and good. I thank you for your invitation! But instead of Camp Brisket, I do a deal sanctioned by @nolaegghead called Brisket Camp. I can assure you that you will leave the latter with more knowledge than you would from Camp Brisket, it might be a little different knowledge..but will be knowledge! No joke, thanks for the invite and try to make it to New Orleans sometime for Brisket Camp. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I didn't even know something like this existed.  Incredible!

Looks awesome.  Great post.  Thanks for sharing.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    @HoustonEgger , Many thanks for the thread and detailed write-up.  I know there is another infrequent forum member who also scored tix to CB (not to be confused with Brisket Camp).  
    Appreciate the insights but gotta admit that I am surprised that the "cook to temp vs feel in the flat was a consensus".  I've been in the probes like buttah and the jiggle for the finish camp.  I will have to start the brisket thaw process and see where I land next weekend.  
    If you care to share, how many years of membership did it take to score the tix?

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    @lousubcap - Took me 3 years of membership to get to BBQ Camp and then the same year, when the email for the Camp Brisket lotto came out I basically threw people out of my way to get to the lotto entry as fast as possible and lucked out again. 

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Looks great! I'm liking the pastrami brined..never heard of it, but would love to try it.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Great post.  Thanks for sharing!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing your experience and tips from the event. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Very interesting the consensus was to cook the brisket to 183-190 max.  I just read Aaron's book and he said he usually has them come off about 203, and I hear the other pitmasters give him crap for leaving them on so long.   Was he on this panel?? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Very interesting the consensus was to cook the brisket to 183-190 max.  I just read Aaron's book and he said he usually has them come off about 203, and I hear the other pitmasters give him crap for leaving them on so long.   Was he on this panel?? 
    Lol nice catch. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @HoustonEgger , Many thanks for the thread and detailed write-up.  I know there is another infrequent forum member who also scored tix to CB (not to be confused with Brisket Camp).  
    Appreciate the insights but gotta admit that I am surprised that the "cook to temp vs feel in the flat was a consensus".  I've been in the probes like buttah and the jiggle for the finish camp.  I will have to start the brisket thaw process and see where I land next weekend.  
    If you care to share, how many years of membership did it take to score the tix?

@lousubcap
    Cap, I just started pulling my brisket at the high 180s low 190s on the last few cooks, and allowing them to rest for about an hour or so, then paper wrap towel and cooler. Waiting for testing in the upper 190s to 200, seemed to end up brittle on the thinner sections, after rest and wrap towel, cooler. I have noticed a much better texture, juicier cuts and fuller flavor.
    I do believe this has merit. I am going to implement IT checks after the cook going forward. Makes sense.
    I got to tell you, I have not had much of a baseline to judge what brisket could/should taste like, prior to the egg, just what I had had in BBQ around here. My first brisket, off the egg, was better than those, by far, and you coached me through it. Everything I know about brisket started here.
    Thank you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    @YukonRon , thanks for the nod.  But as you well know, once on the horse you own the ride.  I did just pull one (Costco prime) for the week's thaw to experiment with this coming weekend.  I will see how it works out.  
    I do run nekked to the finish-line (save foil protecting the thin sections of the flat) and the only change up will be the pull temp.  Of course, it's not the same friggin cow, so who knows.  But that's what makes the cook so much fun..
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Wow how lucky can you get.  There is a lot of q knowledge in that last picture
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I attended with my Dad and we had a great time. Houstonegger, I wish we had gotten a chance to meet, or maybe we did, and didn't know it. We've been members of Foodways for two years, and got tickets after the 2nd attempt.

I was there paying attention, taking notes, and while I did hear Dr. Savell quote some "done" numbers (that sounded low to me) I did NOT hear the panel agree on numbers, or really even quote numbers. I had a talk with Kerry from Snow's and Bryan from Southside Market right after the panel that was all about feel, they didn't even bring up numbers.

I also had conversations with Daniel Vaughn the Texas Monthly barbecue writer, Ms. Tootsie from Snow's and Aaron Franklin. My dad showed him some pictures of some pipe and propane tanks he has been accumulating for an offset build, and Franklin sketched some dimensions for him.

For this fan of Texas barbecue it was like being in the room with the Beatles, and Led Zeppelin, and oh there's Clapton over there, who do I talk to? They all couldn't have been nicer.

That being said I do wish the camp had been a little more hands on, but I learned a lot. As an egghead with a big interest in offsets, I wasn't that interested in what the Weber Smoky Mountain guy had to say, but in a blind taste test his charcoal and mesquite chip smoked brisket was suprisingly good! There were backyard cooks from all camps there eggheads, webers, offsets, pellet smokers, etc.

I started wrapping in butcher paper after reading Franklin's book, but after talking with him this weekend, I will be wrapping later (after the stall/ aprrox 180) or perhaps wrapping only after the cook for holding. I really like a good bark, and I had been wrapping too early.

I will be going back to the Foodways barbecue camp this summer.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Yes and he was one of the bigger talkers about this. What he said at camp was - pull it 183-190 (he said 190) and let it carry over to 200-205, then let it start the decline (wrapped) until 160 and then toss in the warmer

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    ibanda said:
    I attended with my Dad and we had a great time. Houstonegger, I wish we had gotten a chance to meet, or maybe we did, and didn't know it. We've been members of Foodways for two years, and got tickets after the 2nd attempt.

I was there paying attention, taking notes, and while I did hear Dr. Savell quote some "done" numbers (that sounded low to me) I did NOT hear the panel agree on numbers, or really even quote numbers. I had a talk with Kerry from Snow's and Bryan from Southside Market right after the panel that was all about feel, they didn't even bring up numbers.

I also had conversations with Daniel Vaughn the Texas Monthly barbecue writer, Ms. Tootsie from Snow's and Aaron Franklin. My dad showed him some pictures of some pipe and propane tanks he has been accumulating for an offset build, and Franklin sketched some dimensions for him.

For this fan of Texas barbecue it was like being in the room with the Beatles, and Led Zeppelin, and oh there's Clapton over there, who do I talk to? They all couldn't have been nicer.

That being said I do wish the camp had been a little more hands on, but I learned a lot. As an egghead with a big interest in offsets, I wasn't that interested in what the Weber Smoky Mountain guy had to say, but in a blind taste test his charcoal and mesquite chip smoked brisket was suprisingly good! There were backyard cooks from all camps there eggheads, webers, offsets, pellet smokers, etc.

I started wrapping in butcher paper after reading Franklin's book, but after talking with him this weekend, I will be wrapping later (after the stall/ aprrox 180) or perhaps wrapping only after the cook for holding. I really like a good bark, and I had been wrapping too early.

I will be going back to the Foodways barbecue camp this summer.
    @ibanda I'm sure we did meet - but there were a few father/son groupings too!
    The carry over temp discussion/temp discussion wasn't one question that was asked/answered in one shot for sure - it started with Dr. Savells discussion about BBQ Science and then carryover was brought up in the last panel when temp/wrapping was also discussed. After that - I asked the panel members what temp "feel" was and that's where the range came from. But keep in mind, all of them cook on different pits - so the "feel" temp is going to vary from an offset, to a flat pit to an oiler. 

Now when I talked to Ms. Tootsie - she was certainly all about feel. But with her 40+ years experience, I know she can touch something and tell you when it's done. She said and I quote - "I don't need those fancy gizmos when I've got these (holds up hands)"

• GoooDawgs
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Yes and he was one of the bigger talkers about this. What he said at camp was - pull it 183-190 (he said 190) and let it carry over to 200-205, then let it start the decline (wrapped) until 160 and then toss in the warmer
    Thats awesome.  Looks like I have to pull my maverick back out after the meat comes off the flame boss! Funny how monitoring the temp AFTER it comes off is so crucial.  All the little things make a big difference at the end.

Glad I'm getting a warming drawer in the new kitchen.  Thanks for the tips!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    Thanks for this summary.  Definitely will be using these pointers when I do my next brisket.
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • PirateBill
    Options
    1WVU said:
    Thanks for this summary.  Definitely will be using these pointers when I do my next brisket.
    Agreed, bookmarking.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I'm obviously NOT a brisket master, interesting there's a few things you suggested that are different from my way. Excited to read this next time I get a packer ready. Thanks!! Looks like a great trip!

XLBGE 
  • FWRealtor
    Options
    I can't tell you how jealous I am that you got to go to that awesome camp at my alma mater! Thanks for sharing some of what you learned. 
    Big Green Egg Owner since 2012
    Fort Worth ,Texas
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    @HoustonEgger  - Thank again for this write-up.  Definitely will be coming back to it!  I'm curious if the camp mentioned anything about injecting briskets.

I know we all have our own opinions here, just wanted to see if the experts mentioned anything about it.

Thanks!

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    @HoustonEgger  - Thank again for this write-up.  Definitely will be coming back to it!  I'm curious if the camp mentioned anything about injecting briskets.

I know we all have our own opinions here, just wanted to see if the experts mentioned anything about it.

Thanks!

@GoooDawgs actually yes. There was a survey done by Jess Pryles that included the question of injection or no injection to 10 top restaurants and 10 top BBQ Competitors. The response was 100% no injection for the restaurant guys and 100% injection for the competition guys.

So it's split - but think of it as the comp guys are going for that 1 perfect bite and the restaurant guys are going for the entire brisket. 

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Too bad the Aggies were involved, otherwise would have been a great event!  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I'm kinda confused now. Thought wrapping was to power through the stall
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I'm kinda confused now. Thought wrapping was to power through the stall
    Wrapping with foil maybe.  With paper, you limit smoke penetration without steaming (and basting) and thus softening the crud out of your bark.  For me, wrapping has zero to do with the finish line and more to do with giving me a lil more forgiveness with my flat.  I wrap when I'm satisfied with my bark.

I used to be an advocate of tossing my briskets on the counter and slicing after an hour.  My average hold after I pull off my briskets is around 8 hours these days.  I like the finished product and I like the ability to cook other proteins and sides, or get ready for my guests.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @cazzy  Wow 8 hours after you pull it, that's impressive.  You must have an RTIC or Yeti.  Either way, interesting perspective/method, I wouldn't have thought that long.  However, I bet the bark is unbelievable.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA