Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best wood to use smoking pork belly

Options
What's the best wood to use on pork bellies. I bought one from Costco last week, I followed Big Green Craig's recipe.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What's the best wood to use on pork bellies. I bought one from Costco last week, I followed Big Green Craig's recipe.
    I don't mean this sarcastic, but the "best" wood is the one that you like the best. I'm real partial to oak and pecan as they are what I have used for five decades. Folks that have unlimited access to peach, apple, or cherry will probably prefer them as that is what they are accustom to. 
    With that said, oak is a good all around wood that most people like. It may not be their preference, but more people than not like oak. Some real strong woods like mesquite and hickory fall into a love or hate category. You either love them or you hate them. The milder woods like oak and pecan do not. Most folks will enjoy food that is smoked with any of the milder woods. This is not the case with mesquite and hickory. 
    Again, everone likes something different. As such you will get all kinds of suggestions and opinions. But if I had to pick the 3 best, my choice would be as follows. 
    1. Oak. 
    2. Pecan.
    3. Cherry. 
    Note: I like the "taste" of apple and peach just as much as I like cherry. However I like the color that cherry will produce so I give it a very slight nod over apple and peach. 
    Again, the best wood is honestly the one that you like the best. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Pressure treated spruce 2x4. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Just gotta try a few out and see what ya like. I prefer apple but I also don't put a lot of smoke on my bacon (not a flavor my family cares for first in the morning)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    People will disagree with me.... But I think it's hard to notice different flavors of wood when using an egg.  Now my offsets are a different story, I can tell almost every major wood taste apart from one another.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I agree with its to your taste.  I like apple and pecan best, then hickory.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like apple.  It is abundant here and smells great.  I just started trying pecan and cherry on things but not pork yet.  Mesquite is not for me
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ktpbighead
    Options
    Was thinking of using either apple or cherry. Just trying to get an idea what other people used in the past that worked. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Up to you bro. 

I like hickory and apple blend. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Hickory and maple are standards here in New England. 

Have done apple wood and pecan too. All good. Can't go wrong
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have done hickory, maple or apple.  I like the hickory bacon the best. But I would turn down any of the others either... 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Peach
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • InfectedDAS
    Options
    I've done pork belly with apple and hickory. Hickory has become one of my favorite woods.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Was thinking of using either apple or cherry. Just trying to get an idea what other people used in the past that worked. 
    Chances are that you will be pleased with either one. Both are solid choices. Neither is overpowering.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Thanks @SGH. I saw this thread had more posts and I thought to myself, "this is one of those posts that I used to put in here and I left with more questions than answers" because I didn't realize how down in the weeds my question really was. 

@ktpbighead the best advice I can give is keep a notebook the first few years until you figure out your preferences and it becomes more of an art than a science. And don't be afraid to ask questions. You will get 70% @$$ clown back talk, 20% solid advice....and the rest is just deciphering comments from Nola, the boys from the Carolinas, and tongue lashings from RRP. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• ktpbighead
    Options
    This is my first attempt at this. I appreciate the help from the fellow eggers. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Personal choice on smoking woods I have tried, FWIW:
    1) Pecan
    2) Peach
    3) Sugar Maple
    4) Cherry
    5) Apple
    6) Oak
    7) Pistachio
    8) Grape
    9) Hickory 
    10) Mesquite 

I use the top 3 almost exclusively.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ktpbighead
    Options
    I have 5 on that list. I will give it a try. Thanks Ron!!!
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I've used cherry, Apple, pecan, and hickory.  I prefer apple for pork. But any of those will do.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Pecan is forgiving, ie it wont overpower your pb. Hickory is very strong so it can be awesome but be careful that you dont get overly smoky

Am hearing amd reading about blends lately.  Maybe ive been in a cave but fruit woods like apple peach cherry go well with pork amd pehaps an oak pecan mixed in would be good

I am experimenting with some wood blends right now...
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Cherry Pecan blend is my favorite.  Did try Peach once, turned out very well with Ruhlman's maple-cured bacon recipe.