Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sandbagger's Sweet Spot Rings

Options
WooDoggies
WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
SlickandShiney.jpg
<p />Reading a thread below, I realized I haven't thanked Tom for the custom ring he made for my large to replace the old and clunky raised grid set-up that I'd been using for years. [p]While at the 2006 Waldorf Eggfest, I ask Sandbagger to make a sweet spot ring for the large and a couple of weeks later the ring arrived in the mail... all slick and shiny.[p]It started 4 eggfests before when I overheard Spin and Nature Boy talking about grilling at the "sweet spot". According to them, the sweet spot was located just below the felt line at the bottom lip of the large and was the perfect place for grilling....not too hot or too cool but just right.
So, I went home and made a raised grid with legs out of nuts, bolts and washers and started grilling. They were right. It was the near perfect spot for grilling. I found the cook was easier to control, without tending as much and I was less apt to burn stuff... especially skin on chicken... and I've been doing nearly all of my grilling at that level ever since.
But, the legs were unstable, didn't quite fit the diameter of the fire ring and if I wasn't careful, the whole grid and it's contents could tip into the fire.

Enter Sandbagger. Tom's ring sets nice and stable on the fire ring and the 18" grid rests snugly on top.... with no chance for tipping... ever. [p]NewWooRing.jpg[p]WooRingandGrid.jpg[p]The best thing is, the grid easily rotates on the ring for more even cooking...which means less shuffling the food around and less time with the dome open. And the thing is solid... you could build a house on it.[p]And where it's located, chicken legs can't roll off and knock Monkey on the head.[p]SweetSpot.jpg[p]Thanks, Tom... I love it![p]john

Comments

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    i ordered mine a couple weeks ago along with the spider .i just can't wait to get it and put it in action.all i keep hearing is good stuff about it,plus tom "sandbagger" is a great guy to contact he responds quick and gives great pics and explanations for is product.
  • mikeb6109
    Options
    WooDoggies?
    one quick question can't help but notice in your pics that you have raised the lump to the ring height.....is this for a purpose?
    thanks mike
  • NCEgger
    NCEgger Posts: 67
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Very interesting. I would be interested in getting this type of setup. It also looks like you have a different fire box setup. What are you using for your firebox?
  • mikeb6109
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    WooDoggies?
    one quick question can't help but notice in your pics that you have raised the lump to the ring height.....is this for a purpose?
    thanks mike

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    I've got this set up also ... love it!![p]I also had him make me a wok ring, but have not tried it yet. Looking forward to some wokked shrimp and veggies.

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I've got the WooRig and love it. I've also got the spider, the rig that sits on the fire ring and allows for a grid to sit just above the coals for great searing, or will take a stone for quick transition to indirect cooking.[p]Thanks Sandbagger!![p]DD
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    Basket003.jpg
    <p />ncegger,[p]That's an expanded metal basket designed by fellow egger, WilliamH. It sets in the firebox with the cast iron grate removed. As far as I know he's only made two of these.
    I've gotten so accustomed to using it the last few years, I'm a little lost starting lump in an egg without one.
    It makes adding and removing charcoal very easy.... just lift it out, shake out the ash and return to the firebox and add new lump.
    With the expanded metal, the charcoal burns pretty evenly and the wire handle makes it easy to rotate with hot coals... if you choose to.[p]I think bge should buy the idea from William .... they'd probably be a huge seller.

• WooDoggies
    Options
    mikeb6109,[p]What's in the photos is leftover lump from a previous cook.... probably leftover from a long low and slow where I filled the basket with lump to the fire ring.[p]If I'm grilling, I usually just fill above the holes in the firebox.... sometimes less. Hope that helps.

• Grillicious
    Options
    WooDoggies, I've got to sing his praise too. I've got his adjustable multi-grid setup with the spider after seeing Grillmeister using it at the Texas Eggfest. With the multi-grid setup I can adjust the lower level and hit the sweet spot. The upper level is above the gasket. For low and slows, I've found things are generally cooking faster with this setup, as in an hour or two faster, since the meat is higher in the dome. Gotta love it!

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I agree. While I don't have an expanded metal one, I do have a SS mixing bowl with air holes drilled in it.[p]As you say - just lift it out, shake and return. [p]Or lift it out to clean the ash, rearrange the lump, etc.[p]Very convienent.[p]Toy Man
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I want one for the small and the large IMMEDIATELY. What a great idea! The mini I just turn upside down, normally at a time when a hound passes quietly underneath. Not on purpose, of course, just seems to happen.[p]mShark
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    120_2073.jpg
    <p />WooDoggies, I am with ya on the bucket, lift, shake lightly and reset for ash free lump. I came up with this idea after hitting balls one day on the driving range. I figure if a bucket can hold golf balls, why not lump. [p]A month or so ago, I cleaned out the egg only to find my grate was cracked. Add the already cracked firebox, so I finally decided to make it. Small pieces can slip out the side, but then I'm not that particular and it doesn't take much to shake the ash off the lump. It's made from stainless steel. The bottom is configured like a grid, so plenty of air flow. I am curious to see what the shelf life of this baby will be.

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    That is sweet...and the way it is balanced on the corner of the table like that is magic

• Sandbagger
    Options
    WooDoggies, thanks Woo and everyone else for the compliments. I'm always open to new ideas. I got a couple wacky ideas working for the large. [p]I might need to get an xl, bigger playground, now what I mean Vern.......:<)[p]T

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]I knew you would do it! Nice![p]I need two now.[p]Cheers beer.gif[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Sandbagger,could you post material list?? or at least the length of spacers between rings,thanks jc
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    J.C. in Nv. for a large set-up, I use 1/4" round bar, 304 stainless, approx. 12-13 feet per rig. I roll two rings approx. 17.25" OD. This OD centers on the fire ring (base ring) and fits between the grid's outer band and 2 support bars (top ring). I weld 8 support bars between the rings. If you want the grid to sit just below the felt line, approx. 4 inches high, then cut the 8 support bars approx. 3 inches long: 0.25" base ring + 3.0" support + 0.25" top ring + 0.125 grid = 3.625 inches. [p]I've made them for the medium, small, xl and even the mini. Email me if you need more help. T

• Sandbagger
    Options
    GrillMeister, have you filled the kegs with beer making stuff. How the welds holding up. Them welds sure weren't pretty but they did have big mounds.....of filler material....T

• GrillMeister
    Options
    BrewBench.jpg
    <p />Sandbagger,[p]I have not used them yet. I still need to aquire more equipment (and more room) but soon, my friend, soon.[p]Right now, as you can see the BrewBench is currently full.[p]Left to Right, we have in the primary bucket a wonderful Kolsch Ale, followed by 5 gallons of German Apfelwein (8.5% abv) with a clone of Rogue Mocha Porter on the far right.[p]Soon, the chest freezer will be here and I'll have room for more. Gotta fill the pipeline you know.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    GrillMeister, I'll need to get more aspirin....LOL T
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]That just looks awesome. I'm thirsty!
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]That's awesome! You're making me want another welding lesson! I'll bring the beer, but I stopped brewing a few years ago, so you'll have to settle for the old store bought variety.[p]Ed
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Apfelweinbottle.jpg
    <p />Herm,[p]Yep, the German Apfelwein is quite refreshing during these hot summer days. Thanks![p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Sandbagger,Thanks will give it a try.jc.