Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TriTip on XL - AR and Woo

Jazzman999
Jazzman999 Posts: 6
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
I love Tri-Tips, and have been cooking them for several years.  I found a smaller one today (1.8 lbs after trimming), so I fired up the XL. It is about 29 degrees here in SC (exceptionally cold for this area!), so I also cranked up the fire pit and some Bengal Spice tea.

I just got a CGS Woo and AR combo, and I decided to use both for this cook. First, I setup the AR with 19" stone on the slide-guide down on the lower level.  I stabilized the Egg temp at about 250, and threw a few small peeled onions on  the foiled drip pan atop the stone and let them smoke about 30 minutes before putting anything else on.  I quartered and parboiled some red potatoes and seasoned them with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.  I had rubbed the TriTip with cracked pepper, sea salt, granulated garlic, and parsley, and tossed that on the top rack (20" grid), positioning it right above the potatoes so any meat drippage could help them out.  Also, I used 3 fairly large chunks of red oak and Fogo lump.

After the TriTip hit about 122, I foiled it and yanked it off long enough to remove the AR and replace it with the Woo and the 18" CI grid from my old Bubba Keg and crank up the (dome) temp to 400.  I guess I shoulda grabbed a grate temp with my IR thermo, but I forgot.  I also threw some asparagus on that I had seasoned with some Kickin' Chicken and rubbed with olive oil
The lone onion in the above pic had dropped into the ash, so I put it on the grid too to "clean" it...  I pulled the potatoes and other onions and put them in the oven in the house to keep them warm for a few.

Here are the finished products

And the slice:

Pretty tasty!  I am getting the hang of the temp control on the Egg.  Very similar to the Keg.  Well, vice-versa I guess as the BK is a knock-off, but you know what I mean.

LOVING the XL!!!!!!  All the space is freeing.

Beef short ribs tomorrow...

XL
Florence, SC

Comments