Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pasta roller defective

Options
EggHeadinFlorida
EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
edited January 2017 in Off Topic
 Ordered my KitchenAid mixer as well as a three-piece pasta roller and cutter set last week and received it on Wednesday.
 Went to go use the pasta roller today and noticed that the attachment was wobbling while it was attached to the mixer.  So I took it out and noticed what you see in the pictures .  At first it look like a little black piece of some type of rubber that worked its way out of the internal mechanism.  Once I looked closer I saw that it was actually an O ring.  There's three small screws that hold the attachment plate to the side of the roller and when I took the screws off you can see the remainder of the Orion was all basically ate up.  Not sure what exactly the purpose of this Orion is it's not like any liquids or food passing go through this area. For $140, you would think the quality is a lot better 

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Give KA a call, they will take care of you.
    Mine cracked, may have been user error at the beginning by pushing too much dough, not sure..but KA sent me a new one.  Second unit has been fine.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I agree with @Carolina Q
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My KA Set has been going strong 7 years and counting. Get a replacement
    Seattle, WA
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I called Amazon. They are sending me a return label. I'll just order another one when they issue me the refund. 

Does anyone know what the oring is for?
  • Focker
    edited January 2017
    Options

You got some pics of this easy pasta chief?
    We used one at Frozen Fest 2012.  
    A group effort, that was enough for me.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I love my KA roller.  Been using it for a few years. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Focker said:

For a family, I can bang out a batch of pasta pretty quick with my old crank pasta maker. 

For a fest? That needs power! Wifi would be good too. And Bluetooth for good measure. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I've had this for 30 years, love it.....love my KA Pro series, I think all their attachments fall short of the Mixer Quality and are overpriced ...My KA gets used for, well, mixing
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Focker
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Juggling crank yanking with two hands is a skillset.  There is a learning curve to the left, a sweet spot if you will.  Crank it too hard, or too fast...you could easily break somethin'.  A lot like declumping denatured rub..be careful.

Many found that sweet spot crank yanking to the beat of Divinyls, creating the most even sheets.
    https://youtu.be/wv-34w8kGPM
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2017
    Options

Disagree for one big reason, that pasta machine needs two people to make pasta. With the KA it can be done using one person. The end result is the same.

I know this because we used the old machine for almost 40 years before getting the KA.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Focker said:
    Mine cracked, may have been user error at the beginning by pushing too much dough, not sure..but KA sent me a new one.  Second unit has been fine.

No picture of it in the trash? 
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    biggest pain in the balls on the planet, unless you have 3 arms
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2017
    Options

Disagree for one big reason, that pasta machine needs two people to make pasta. With the KA it can be done use one person. The end result is the same.

I know this because we used the old machine for almost 40 years before getting the KA.
    I've never had help using mine..clamp to table, easy peazy
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Focker
    Options
    Focker said:

No picture of it in the trash? 
    Hahaha, not for this.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited January 2017
    Options

Disagree for one big reason, that pasta machine needs two people to make pasta. With the KA it can be done using one person. The end result is the same.

Kinda funny, the peeps who have actually done both, won't go back to crank yanking.

The ones who proudly crank yank, have never posted a pasta dish or side, on the forum. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hungry Joe
    Options
    We used to get called into duty when mom was making pasta as kids. Actually we thought it was fun back then. I've had the KA attachment over 10 years and think I'll keep doing it this way.  FWIW, I don't think I ever posted a pasta dish but have made sauce on the egg lots of times.
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Focker said:

Kinda funny, the peeps who have actually done both, won't go back to crank yanking.

The ones who proudly crank yank, have never posted a pasta dish or side, on the forum. Lol
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1193847/dyal-sc-inspired-mac-and-cheese-wings#latest.  Here is some pot stickers I posted a while back. I have used automatic and manual pasta rollers , I like the manual, but that's just me...key is you are making good homemade anything, no matter how you get there, the fact your enjoying it is what matters..there is no right and wrong..heck ,I will even roll pasta with a pin and cut with a knife or pizza cutter
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Focker said:

I had to ....
    Seattle, WA
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I'll throw this out just because I posted an opinion earlier as a "crank yanker". I make pasta by hand and get along with an Atlas hand crank. I can do it by myself but I'll concede it's easier with an extra set of hands. I'm guilty of posting opinions based on my own narrow window of experience - my wife is usually around and willing to help. Other's have a different environment to work in. 
    I mix by hand, crank, and dry over a wooden dowel between two chairs. I guess I don't post because I don't cook pasta on the egg (can't get the water to boil).

After reading through this thread I'd certainly be trying to get a warranty replacement. If I'd spent a ton of money on a mixer I'd want to use it - I suppose if the OP had wanted a hand crank that's what would have been bought. 
    Y'all have a good day. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I'll throw this out just because I posted an opinion earlier as a "crank yanker". I make pasta by hand and get along with an Atlas hand crank. I can do it by myself but I'll concede it's easier with an extra set of hands. I'm guilty of posting opinions based on my own narrow window of experience - my wife is usually around and willing to help. Other's have a different environment to work in. 
    I mix by hand, crank, and dry over a wooden dowel between two chairs. I guess I don't post because I don't cook pasta on the egg (can't get the water to boil).

After reading through this thread I'd certainly be trying to get a warranty replacement. If I'd spent a ton of money on a mixer I'd want to use it - I suppose if the OP had wanted a hand crank that's what would have been bought. 
    Y'all have a good day. 
    Thanks For Sharing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I have a Simac that I bought in the early 80's. It mixes and extrudes. I have about 12 brass dies that make any shape I want from flat to hollow like bucatoni, ziti, elbows, shells, and more. It's still going strong and is a tank. I don't think they distribute it anymore. I also have a hand crank that I bought strictly for the ravioli attachment. Both are fun to work with and both are a PITA to clean. I also don't post pics of pasta, but will the next time I use the machines. Fresh pasta is amazing.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    SciAggie said:

Y'all have a good day. 
    Thanks For Sharing 
    One question, how many times do you run it through before you cut it into strings? My wife folds and flattens 7 times before cutting. That is a lot of hand cranking.

Other then the machine, it looks just like here! The plate looks delicious.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    SciAggie said:

Y'all have a good day. 
    Thanks For Sharing 
    One question, how many times do you run it through before you cut it into strings? My wife folds and flattens 7 times before cutting. That is a lot of hand cranking.

Other then the machine, it looks just like here! The plate looks delicious.
    Without looking at the machine - maybe 5-6 times? It starts at the widest setting and gets thinner... I guess the amount of cranking depends on how much pasta one is making. I'm ususally making 6-8 servings so it's no big deal. Larger amounts would be tiresome. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    Options
    Dredger said:
    I have a Simac that I bought in the early 80's. It mixes and extrudes. I have about 12 brass dies that make any shape I want from flat to hollow like bucatoni, ziti, elbows, shells, and more. It's still going strong and is a tank. I don't think they distribute it anymore. I also have a hand crank that I bought strictly for the ravioli attachment. Both are fun to work with and both are a PITA to clean. I also don't post pics of pasta, but will the next time I use the machines. Fresh pasta is amazing.
    @dredger what cleaning do you do with the crank machine? When I inherited mine I was instructed that if I ever let water come in contact with it, the hand of a dead Italian grandmother would reach from the grave and smack me. 
  • Dredger
    Options
    @blind99, I let the hand crank machine dry thoroughly and brush the excess flour and pasta pieces off. I guess it's no so hard to clean. The Simac has to be taken apart, allowed to dry to remove all dough and flour remnants from the small parts, and then hand washed. That process takes up a fair amount of counter space for awhile. It's worth it though. I would heed the advice about cleaning yours. Wouldn't want any ticked off deceased Italian grandmother seeking me out, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited January 2017
    Options

This was some of the best damn bread I've ever had!! Bread flour, water, fennel, entire garlic bulb that was sautéed, thyme. Cooked in enamel coated cast iron @ 450deg for 35 min. Then remove lid and cook another 10-15min until top is golden brown. .

pasta was good. A little sticky after I cooked it, but not bad for first time. 

• blind99
    Options
    Beautiful! Quite a feast!

@dredger I got to use one of those automatic pasta makers awhile back. I have to admit it was very awesome!  One more gadget I need to make room for. 
  • Dredger
    Options
    Well @blind99, you guys know me and my toys, lol. We've decided our next house will have a kitchen with at least enough counter space to hold our most used toys. The Simac is more than 30 years old and I feel certain that it will last for a long time. It deserves it's own spot on a counter. 
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Why did I get rid of my hand-crank pasta machine? FLOUR ALL OVER THE *%&*#$ PLACE! I had a chance to use the current Philips electric pasta maker, and it was love at first sight. It makes way more than I can use, but if you can use it, it is a real winner. It even makes sheets of pasta for ravioli or lasagna.
    Judy in San Diego