Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Top Chef BBQ episode question

Anyone know what the gland was in the pig's head that made the beans "funky"?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    The brain?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    I'm pretty sure that's not it since the brain is an organ and they kept referring to a gland

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Pretty sure he was being facetious :) 

PIneal Gland? 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Sorry I was just joking :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Dawgtired
    Figured you were...

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired said:
    Anyone know what the gland was in the pig's head that made the beans "funky"?
    I didn't see that episode but I can tell you that pig heads are full of glands. I have some cheeks, jowels,  and a collar in the fridge, I'll see if I can send you a pic. They are funky and you would want to remove them before cooking. If they did a whole head, there would be dozens of glands in there so they may have been talking about one single glad you go in and remove
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dawgtired
    Yes it was one gland they said you have to be careful of. It made the chef's beans sour with a funky smell

Ronald Reagan

• Did they do a whole pig head with beans?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2017
    There are many glands in the neck, face, mouth and head of a hog. This includes the following. 
    The thyroid. 
    The thymus.
    The sublingual/saliva.
    The mandibular. 
    The parotid. 
    However the two in the actual "head" that are nasty and virtually unedible under any circumstance is:
    The Dorsal Superficial and the Medial Retropharyngeal glands. These should always be removed. Some of the neck, mouth, and face glands are not so bad. However if you are good with a knife it is always best to remove them as well. 
    For any of you that eat rectum and anus, be aware that there are anal glands that should be removed as well. Anal glands can leave a very bad and unsettling taste in your mouth. No joke. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    "Any of you that eat rectum and anus...you have been warned.  :o
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538

Wow, seems these days... It all goes back to anus! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• SGH
    JacksDad said:

Here is an interesting fact. The anus is the most versatile, underrated, and useful orifice that there is. It serves many purposes. It's also a delicacy. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH said:

Anal glands can leave a very bad and unsettling taste in your mouth. No joke. 
    Thanks for the 411 Scotty, I never would've guessed that.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    edited January 2017
    SGH said:

I don't understand why, but everone seems to think that I'm joking or kidding. Anal glands have a very, very, strong and acrid taste. They should not be eaten. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH said:
    SGH said:

I don't understand why, but everone seems to think that I'm joking or kidding. Anal glands have a very, very, strong and acrid taste. They should not be eaten. 
    I think for those who have actually attempted anus, we all just know how good it can be.  So the idea that actually, parts of it can actually be sh!tty - that comes as a surprise, you see?

By the way, these days whenever I see MAGA - I always think it stands for "Make Anus Great Again" !
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @JohnInCarolina - definitely a back-door compliment...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    lousubcap said:
    Yup.  Right up the alley.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap said:

• SGH said:
    JacksDad said:

Here is an interesting fact. The anus is the most versatile, underrated, and useful orifice that there is. It serves many purposes. It's also a delicacy. 
    Eeew! 
    Sumter. South Carolina
    Bring Your Broom, Cuz it's a mess
    Medium BGE, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle
    2 Pugs (Muffins and Poundcakes)

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited January 2017
    SGH said:
    JacksDad said:

Just to be sure - are we still talking about pigs here?
  • Krughzn
    Krughzn Posts: 38
    I had to express my dogs anal glands at least twice a month for a few years. The smell was worse than his poop. 
    San Diego, Ca. XL BGE, 42" Lynx All Sear Grill,Thermapen, Thermopop, Adjustable Rig Combo, Maverick 733, SS Smokeware Cap, Flame Boss 200, Grill Grates.