Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on BGE Medium Pizza Stone

sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering about the BGE Pizza stone and its durability. I have some firebricks that I use for my indirect setup, they sit right on top of the grill and they can withstand the high heat and direct flames. I was wondering if the BGE stone could do this also. I've burned through (literally) 3 of the Pampered chef stones, they get hit once by direct flame and they shoot craps on you. Could I use the BGE stone directly on top of the grill in place of the firebricks? Will it withstand the heat of a 500 degree indirect cook? Any advice or experience on this would be appreciated. I would hate to trash a nice stone when someone here could advise me not to do it. Thanks for any advice.[p]Troy

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    sprinter,[p]In my experience, the official BGE is bulletproof. I believe that it has a ceramic "cone" rating of 10 which means it can withstand temps over 2000* I trashed a couple of cheap stones myself and appreciate your concern. [p]Mine is 2 years old and well seasoned. It has held up to a couple of runaway burns no worse for the wear.[p]K~G

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    KennyG, does the BGE stone fit the medium? Thanks.[p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Gfw,[p]BGE makes 12" and 14" pizza stones,the 12" would be perfect for the medium egg.[p]Larry
  • KennyG
    Gfw,[p]The BGE stone is 14" in diameter and should work OK on the medium, don't know for sure.[p]K

• sprinter
    Gfw,[p]If KennyG is speaking of the same stone that I have, and I SURE hope he is, its made specifically for a medium. Its about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and looks to be made of the same material as the egg is. It fits the grate on the medium and gives plenty of room on the edge for air to circulate. Looks like my firebricks may be a thing of the past. Man, they are just getting broken in also.[p]Troy
  • KennyG
    sprinter,[p]If the BGE logo is embossed into your stones surface, you've got the real deal and won't be able to break it if you tried (short of dropping it).[p]K~G

• sprinter
    KennyG,[p]The BGE logo is stamped big as life on the back side of this thing, looks like a winner. Thanks for the information.[p]Troy
  • Troy,
    I've used my BGE stones as a heat deflector on numerous occasions. I've never seen any problems with the high heat on the stones. I will e-mail you in the morning a suggestion for an alternative though![p]Cheers,[p]Dr. Chicken

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Dr. Chicken,[p]If I may, would you CC to me also?[p]Spin

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    sprinter,[p] The BGE stone is practically indestructable. Pampered
    Chef stones, on the other hand, are virtually useless.
    I had one shatter cooking a pepper and onion pizza when
    a tiny bit of water boiled over the edge of the crust.[p]
    Chuck

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Don't get rid of your firebricks. for two reasons[p]one -- you can form a U with three bricks that is a perfect pit for a drip pan with area to place a second grill and then cook indirect on the second grill[p]two -- i find it useful to place bricks under the bge stone sometimes. It increases the mass being heated and therefore the stability of the heat. Furthermore, if you place three on edge in a Y formation, they make a perfect platform for the bge stone that is then very nearly flush with the top of the bottom half of the egg. This means it is easier to work a peel in and out of the thing. [p]They Y trick is one you will see elsewhere around here, not my idea, but it works. Same thing with the U[p]