Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yo fishless & mystery plt

Options
DTM
DTM Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I repied a little late to your earlier post.
Been a little busy getting #1 son married, rehearsal for 75 & reception for 140. Anyway here's a c&p of my earlier response.
DTM[p]Yo fishlessman,
As usual I am too late as this venue seems to go fast.
Anyway you have cape gooseberry...aka...tomatillo, correctly known as Physalis ixocarpa. Carpa is kind of skin or peel and iso is sort of not connected.
Never done a pie w/ ripe ones, but I have 7 growing in my garden that are the easiest grd thing to preserve for Mexican fresh green salsa all thru the winter. Burpees carries seeds of improved hybrids. Gigantea, I think...as a get a beer.[p]Green sauce[p]1/2 lb or so of green tomatillos, peeled and washed.
simmer in salted water until tender
throw in the blender and double tap, want some texture
add
chopped onion
chopped serranos or jalepenos
chopped cilantro
salt
let sit for an hour, taste and maybe just a little sugar.
tequila?
more chilies?
chipotles?
Serve as a salsa for tacos, fajitas, arranchera
Next day it sets up, let in get to rm temp, stir and bring out the chips[p]For the winter.
Peel wash throw in a freezer zip-loc.[p]Sorry if my re-response disturbs any of the elders.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    DTM,
    thanks for the repost, i would of missed it. printed out the recipe and will see if they can ripen here in maine. dont know where they came from, woman that used to own the house planted all kinds of things, but i would of noticed these before. next year im going to get some of those burpee seeds and put them all along the foundation on that side of the house and see what happens as not much seems to want to grow there anyways. the ground is silty sand as the house sits on an old sandbar along a river. very wet springs while fairly dry in the summer.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I would guess that a bird dropped the seed. They fruit and seed very heavily and I had a couple of volunteer seedlings in my compost pile this yr. For the Mexican green sauce you use green fruit. I usually pic them when the fruit just fills out the papery husk. To put your egg to work you could grill them until soft along w/ the onions and chilies. Adds a great smokey taste and I like to have a bit of char in there also.
    Keep us posted.
    DTM