Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Low n' Slow Advice

garthb4903
garthb4903 Posts: 115
I attempted my first pork butt that worked pretty well, 3 lbs, 225-240 degrees, 7 hours, dry rub (no foil).  I'm overloaded from reading all the variations on slow n' low, what heating process do you recommend for my second attempt? I also am trying out the DigiBBQ for the first time.
L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited January 2017
    I don't see how it would be done in that time even at that size. Did it fall apart?

i would do the same thing over, but go with a full sized butt or picnic, and bump up to 250 until it starts to fall apart. You can be agressive with rubs. Hard to overseason a pork butt. Hard to screw it up too

can't really over cook them

I'd suggest making your own tub too. 

Plenty of simple recipes out there 

google the Elder Ward pork butt method on the BGE. i think it may be on the naked whiz site too. Again tho. Bump temps to 250
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,332
    3lb? was it boneless?

Step 1: Buy a larger butt

What was it's temp when you pulled it? I like to pull mine at 203* 

I also like to inject my butts, a lot on here don't, just my preference. I'd ramp up the temp to speed up the process...the end result is the same

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited January 2017
    Hey brother Garth, first I recommend 'not to overthink' your next butt cook or any cook for that matter.

In some way, the BGE forum can be alot like WebMb ... too many opinions and know-it-alls, who do I listen to?

Here's my answer, 275 degrees (but this time do a real butt - a nice 8 lb butt. IMO, if your gonna do it, do it for real). It will hit the stall @ 160, that's when you'll need to decide to wrap it (to push it thru) or ride it out.

Finish temp is approx 203 ...

Enjoy the cook, stress is something that our 8-5 jobs give us, cooking on the egg is my fun, no stress time. I find it very therapeutic.

Best ~ Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    If you were happy with how that first one turned out, why change it? 

If you are looking to improve, pick one thing to try at a time and give it a shot. Don't totally change your process, it will make it hard to figure out what made the difference.

For me, I rub the pork with yellow mustard, apply my rub, and let sit overnight/a few hours. Sprinkle some more rub right before it goes on the egg. My egg likes to sit at about 260, so that's the temp I go. I don't wrap in foil or anything, and start to check the bone for wiggle at 180 internal temp. When I can pull the bone out easily (normally around 195-200 IT), I pull it off, wrap in foil, wrap in a towel, and set in a dry cooler for at least an hour. Unwrap, pull, and serve with sauce on the side.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I would agree with what everyone else has already said. I would add that if your last attempt worked out then I would stick with it. Try changing your rubs up as that ultimately will have the biggest "change" impact rather than cooking temp. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Again, all good info above.

When I'm doing butts I put as much meat as I can fit on the egg. It won't take much longer, if at all and not much more charcoal either.

I've fit 4 butts that totaled over 28lbs on my large. For what ever reason, one gets done either a lot fast or takes a lot longer then the other three. Every time as far as I can remember.

I pull then vacuum seal and freeze what ever I'm not using that day.
  • Ok, getting ready, bought a 6 lb. butt, will rub with mustard and then use the Tom Douglas rub (Christmas gift).  Not sure if I will start tonight late or early tomorrow, what do you rec on timing?
    L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    See your other post!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.