Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IIHF Tonight

Options
2»

Comments

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    A great game, both teams played well. I'm not a big fan of the shoot out, I'd rather see 3 on 3 OT. 

Congratulations USA!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    Live in the now!  The future is incredibly bright for USA Hockey.  Make no doubt that there are countless players here in Minnesota that could play solid roles on the USA team.  USA hockey is using WJC to grow the game by selecting players from all over the country.  Credit to them for spreading it out and growing the base.  
    I am in Minnesota and of course Hockey is king here.  It is also popular in about 5 other states.  USA hockey is building the base by growing the game, finding players regionally.  Players success in areas like St Louis is the result of the NHL players staying home, having kids and developing teams of players to play with their own kids.  Talent is being developed via USA hockey and Local NHL teams.  Fun to see.

Now on to the NHL, Go Wild.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited January 2017
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    cheeaa said:
    hondabbq said:
    Sure dude. Just spell Canada right when the gold is around our necks. 
    Whoops. Thats gotta suck dude. Dont worry though, canaduh is still our hat so you should be able to see the gold around our necks pretty easily. 
    Yeah silver sucks. Especially when we have won soooo many gold. 16 in the tournament all time. Well gold is good for USGay seeing as this is only their 4th all time. Valiant effort. 

Gloat at while you can it doesn't happen for you very often. 
    I enjoy hockey from time to time but to be realistic, not sure too many people here honestly care. Game one of the Stanley cup finals drew 2 million tv viewers. 62 tv shows had a higher rating. If your going the medal route, America received 121 medals vs canadas 22 in the last Olympics.

Edit***Good lord you guys really do care about the juniors. According to your tv ratings you watched that more than the pros. 

Pretty funny its still behind american football.

Heres canadas 2015 tv ratings

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/tv-top-10-canadians-watched-2015/

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    edited January 2017
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    Live in the now!  The future is incredibly bright for USA Hockey.  Make no doubt that there are countless players here in Minnesota that could play solid roles on the USA team.  USA hockey is using WJC to grow the game by selecting players from all over the country.  Credit to them for spreading it out and growing the base.  
    I am in Minnesota and of course Hockey is king here.  It is also popular in about 5 other states.  USA hockey is building the base by growing the game, finding players regionally.  Players success in areas like St Louis is the result of the NHL players staying home, having kids and developing teams of players to play with their own kids.  Talent is being developed via USA hockey and Local NHL teams.  Fun to see.

Yup. Your local team needs success as well to get interest in kids. Socal is getting players coming out of it too and with more time and success in Florida and other areas like nashville columbus, etc. the game should grow in those areas too. You're really seeing a decline in the total # of canadians coming into the league versus u.s. born players. 30 years ago it was i think 80 percent canadians versus 10 percent us born players. Canada is under half now at 48 percent with the us up to 25 percent in that time. And with youth registrations declining in canada versus increasing in the us, we may be getting more golds quicker than my canadian buddy wants to admit.  =)

Oh, and the wild suck.  :)
  • cheeaa
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Well you have us in the way, and all the other countries in the tourney to worry about. It will be a long time before you win another 12 tourneys to match the 16 we already have. That also includes a 2 time, 5 year tournament run of gold medal wins in a row from 93-97 and 05-09 and 33 overall medals.

Im feeling very confident in our future in the WJC.

Read my above post. We shall see. Im assuming your nhl team is the jets?
  • yumdinger
    Options
    Wild Suck? Ha! Check the standings and stats.  Pay close attention to the games played column!  Wild currently have played 2 fewer games then the blues but have 7 more points.  Also check out the GF and GA they have the highest Goal differential in the West and just mowed down the best in the east....well expect that Columbus bump in the road.

Minnesota does not NEED NHL to grow hockey. Some of our greatest growth came when we did not have an NHL team.  We have NCAA D1 programs, a D3 programs that all have high end hockey.  Every high school has a team.  Our high school system is alive and well.

We are fine with or without the NHL.  Other states need USA Hockey and NHL to grow the game.

• cheeaa
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Easy buddy. As a blues fan i can tell u that reg season success means isht once april rolls around. Lol... plus were just saving our best play for then.  :)

and im probably misinterpreting your tone but you're coming off like i was saying something against minnesota. I was just talking about the growth in the country overall. Im well aware that minnesota, ny and probably mass are the top hockey states. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    hondabbq said:

Well you have us in the way, and all the other countries in the tourney to worry about. It will be a long time before you win another 12 tourneys to match the 16 we already have. That also includes a 2 time, 5 year tournament run of gold medal wins in a row from 93-97 and 05-09 and 33 overall medals.

Jets are the local team yes, do I root for them if course. 
    Lifelong Montreal fan. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    yumdinger said:

Yup. Your local team needs success as well to get interest in kids. Socal is getting players coming out of it too and with more time and success in Florida and other areas like nashville columbus, etc. the game should grow in those areas too. You're really seeing a decline in the total # of canadians coming into the league versus u.s. born players. 30 years ago it was i think 80 percent canadians versus 10 percent us born players. Canada is under half now at 48 percent with the us up to 25 percent in that time. And with youth registrations declining in canada versus increasing in the us, we may be getting more golds quicker than my canadian buddy wants to admit.  =)

Oh, and the wild suck.  :)
    Like you told me previously. Live in the now. 
  • yumdinger
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    Easy buddy. As a blues fan i can tell u that reg season success means isht once april rolls around. Lol... plus were just saving our best play for then.  :)

and im probably misinterpreting your tone but you're coming off like i was saying something against minnesota. I was just talking about the growth in the country overall. Im well aware that minnesota, ny and probably mass are the top hockey states. 
    No I didn't mean to be a donkey.  Just ribbing you.  Also just saying how our system maintains itself.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    cheeaa said:
    hondabbq said:
    Whoops. Thats gotta suck dude. Dont worry though, canaduh is still our hat so you should be able to see the gold around our necks pretty easily. 
    Yeah silver sucks. Especially when we have won soooo many gold. 16 in the tournament all time. Well gold is good for USGay seeing as this is only their 4th all time. Valiant effort. 

I enjoy hockey from time to time but to be realistic, not sure too many people here honestly care. Game one of the Stanley cup finals drew 2 million tv viewers. 62 tv shows had a higher rating. If your going the medal route, America received 121 medals vs canadas 22 in the last Olympics.

Edit***Good lord you guys really do care about the juniors. According to your tv ratings you watched that more than the pros. 

My arithmetic isn't very good but since we have 10% of your population I think we did OK

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    cheeaa said:
    hondabbq said:

My arithmetic isn't very good but since we have 10% of your population I think we did OK
    Can you take back Bieber?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Little Steven
    Options
    If you kill Wolf Blitzer

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bhedges1987
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    cheeaa said:
    hondabbq said:

Your arithmetic is fine, the problem is I'm not sure you understood what I was trying to get at. Not many people in this country care about hockey. 500,000 registered hockey players in the US with awful tv ratings (as said previously the highest ranked hockey broadcast came in behind 62 other shows this past year).Basketball on the other hand has an estimated 28 million participating in the sport.

I would expect nothing less than you guys winning gold every time as your really the only country who cares about and plays the game from a young age, with the most registered hockey players in the world. Just like basketball from here we have won the past 85 games I think.

The only reason I even brought up the medal count as someone was boasting about Canada and all of their golds in hockey. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Little Steven
    Options

In fact most northern countries take it pretty seriously. I meant no disrespect, just pointing out that the our population is much smaller than the US

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bhedges1987
    Options

In fact most northern countries take it pretty seriously. I meant no disrespect, just pointing out that the our population is much smaller than the US

It's all good. Hey I enjoy some hockey. More people I think would care here if it was easier to watch on TV. It's pretty impressive in person. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Little Steven
    Options

Been to a few games at the Scottrade Centre. Good value.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Need to bring back the mighty Kansas City scouts! 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• cheeaa
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    cheeaa said:
    hondabbq said:

Jets are the local team yes, do I root for them if course. 
    Lifelong Montreal fan. 
    Good deal. I like playing the jets. Theyre usually fun games. 
  • cheeaa
    Options
    yumdinger said:
    cheeaa said:

No I didn't mean to be a donkey.  Just ribbing you.  Also just saying how our system maintains itself.
    No problem. So let me ask you. What is your thoughts on yeo? Runs our pp now but wondering what type of systems he will run as a head coach. Sorry for the hijacks btw op
  • yumdinger
    Options
    Well the Problem with Yeo in Minnesota was that he had no backbone to sit players, no matter their stature or pay grade, if they were not performing.  The vets ran the team and he would not hold them accountable.

In comes Boudreau, he has the sack to sit whoever is not contributing, or giving it.  Our power play is basically off the hook with the identical personnel. Given they are performing at the moment.

He has chewed ass on Vets that are underperforming and the team loves him for it.  The camaraderie is better than it has ever been.  

SO hopefully for the Blues sake he is learning form Hitch.  Learning how to be a leader not just a coach.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options