Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Glorious Beef (pic heavy)

Options
HofstraJet
HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
For many years, I have been buying my dry aged porterhouses (and many other cuts) from Bryan Flannery at Flannery Beef in northern CA (despite living in FL).  He used to have a retail store but now is mail order only.  I never met Bryan in person but have spent hours talking to him on the phone (he will talk about anything beef related for as long as you are willing to listen) so when I went out to the west coast last month to watch the Jets play the 49ers, I was sure to stop by so that I could meet him personally. I wasn't expecting a tour, but when I caught a glimpse behind the door when it opened, I couldn't resist asking for one. And he was happy to oblige. Below are shots of the beef in the dry aging rooms. I just wanted to take it all home with me.

I know everyone here will appreciate these photos so I wanted to share.

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That is awesome. I am sure you had a great time, and it was nice that you finally got to meet him in person. He obviously takes pride in his work. 

You must be a very loyal Jets fan! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Wow, that's is awesome!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That brings a new definition to the term pic heavy.   Does he have a website? Please post it if he does.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    That. Is. Glorious. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Beautiful.... thanks for sharing!
    Seattle, WA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Where are you in florida?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • gonepostal
    Options
    I have ordered from Flannery a few times. I would recommend the "burger builder" to anyone.  Some of the best that i've had. Thanks for sharing!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Wow.....
    Yes, please post the website or contact information. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Sameday
    Sameday Posts: 43
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Wow.....
    The link is in the post.  Just have to click Flannery Beef.  
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I'm speechless!  That is some beautiful beef.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Great googly moogly. 

I think you just won him a few more customers.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Just bring me any of the porterhouse steaks on your way back to Florida.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've been buying religiously from him for about 10 years.  Simply the best and sensational customer service!  I usually request my beef aged to 45-50 days from him.  He will custom cut pieces to order down to very specific details.  The man knows beef and is obsessed with quality.  My freezer is full of all kinds of cuts from him and more due next month.

We even flew him down to Dallas to cook for a (wine) group of us one time.

If anyone wants to take their beef geekiness to a new level and learn all kinds of interesting tidbits about the beef and cattle industry, give this long interview a listen:

http://www.graperadio.com/archives/2016/12/22/wheres-the-beef-with-bryan-flannery/

It starts a bit slow due to the interviewers, but once Bryan gets talking, he's a joy to listen to.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Wow... whats the oldest they have
  • cssmd27
    Options
    cheeaa said:
    Wow... whats the oldest they have
    Call him and ask.  He'll advise you.  He did some special ribeyes for some wine guys that are 60 days.  I still have 4 or 5 in my freezer.  Gotta be careful how you cook those as they transfer heat fast once they get going.  I pull them when the IT just crosses over 100 or so.  No more than 110.
  • HofstraJet
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Here's the link again for those who didn't see it in the first post: https://www.flannerybeef.com/

@cheeaa - Bryan will age as long as you want. Call and talk to him.

@cssmd27 - Were you on the Squire's Board or on the Berserkers board? Good to know other wineauxs are here. 

@thetrim I'm in Coral Springs.

@gonepostal Love the Burger Builder. Had these the other day with some Meat Church Bacon BBQ mixed in. Delicious.

The key is to have a high fat content. The first few I created were all flavor but no fat and were very dry.

@johnkitchens Loyal is one term for it. :smiley: We planned the trip in April and it was a 10 day trip starting in LA and driving up the PCH and visiting many winemakers and friends along the way, so the game, while the impetus, was thankfully not the main reason for the trip given their records in December.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Sameday said:
    SciAggie said:
    Wow.....
    The link is in the post.  Just have to click Flannery Beef.  
    In my defense I was distracted by the pics of all that magnificent meat...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • cssmd27
    Options

@cssmd27 - Were you on the Squire's Board or on the Berserkers board? Good to know other wineauxs are here. 

I was on both, but am just on the Berserkers now.  The other one went dead with the big split and I left for good once my subscription ran out.

Did you get any of those 60 day ribeyes?  I don't serve them to everyone because some people just don't know what to expect from extended aging.

My wine activity has slowed considerably because I came to grips with the fact that my collection is larger than I can consume in my reasonably projected life span.  Kind of a "WTF are you thinking????" moment when I did the calcs.  If I'm lucky, I have 30-40 years left and I'll be close to finishing things up on my death bed!
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    cssmd27 said:

I was on both, but am just on the Berserkers now.  The other one went dead with the big split and I left for good once my subscription ran out.

Did you get any of those 60 day ribeyes?  I don't serve them to everyone because some people just don't know what to expect from extended aging.

My wine activity has slowed considerably because I came to grips with the fact that my collection is larger than I can consume in my reasonably projected life span.  Kind of a "WTF are you thinking????" moment when I did the calcs.  If I'm lucky, I have 30-40 years left and I'll be close to finishing things up on my death bed!
    You and I have a lot in common. I'm in the exact same boat as you on all fronts.  Currently culling the cellar and moving some stuff to offsite. And yes, the 60 day ribeyes were great. Hope he does them for BerserkerDay again this year.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    I've been buying religiously from him for about 10 years.  Simply the best and sensational customer service!  I usually request my beef aged to 45-50 days from him.  He will custom cut pieces to order down to very specific details.  The man knows beef and is obsessed with quality.  My freezer is full of all kinds of cuts from him and more due next month.

We even flew him down to Dallas to cook for a (wine) group of us one time.

If anyone wants to take their beef geekiness to a new level and learn all kinds of interesting tidbits about the beef and cattle industry, give this long interview a listen:

http://www.graperadio.com/archives/2016/12/22/wheres-the-beef-with-bryan-flannery/

It starts a bit slow due to the interviewers, but once Bryan gets talking, he's a joy to listen to.
    I've really enjoyed that interview.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

awesome info.  great post.  thanks for sharing

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Wow, that's all I can say.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Smokin Jeff
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
    Alva, Florida
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Great post.  Thanks for sharing!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Those are some great, and mouthwatering, pics.

Any idea what temp/humidity they kept in there?
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Now THAT's a post to kick off my Friday egg forum reading!  Thanks for posting!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

Dayum!  I was intrigued by the burger builder and looked into it.  My cart contained six burgers for $200!

Think I’d rather have a brisket for that money.  I’ll attempt to buy and grind my own meats for a burger.

Still a great site and great read.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• HofstraJet
    edited January 2017
    Options
    20stone said:
    Those are some great, and mouthwatering, pics.

Any idea what temp/humidity they kept in there?
    I don't, but it was pleasantly cold for me, so I'm guessing high 30s. And it didn't feel humid, but that may have been because of the temp.
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Great thread, thanks so much for sharing!!