Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Egg to pair with Medium

Options
New member here, I've been enjoying my medium for a year now, mainly for weekend grilling and a one time slow cook (pork butt, it was great).  I'm wanting a 2nd egg as the medium is just slightly too small for grilling and vegetables (plus I'm hooked!).  I'm thinking about a Mini-Max (vegetables and sides while M is grilling/smoking), but then again a L would be cool for the sheer size/versatility.  Of course, there is the philosophy of getting another medium in order to save on accessories.  I've read through the forum but the more I read the more I go down the rabbit hole of confusion!  At my local shop I can get a MM for $500, M for $725, and a L for $900.  Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially if you started with a medium.  Grazie! 
L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I highly recommend a large.  It's really the smallest size that you can get away with and comfortably cook brisket, belly, larger turkeys, rib racks, prime rib, etc. without having to worry about cutting stuff in half, folding it, buying smaller cuts and the like.

Also, for things that need a lot of space - dutch ovens for bread, veggie baskets and the like.
    Wow, the L is 3-0 vs. the world!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

medium is a great egg, but for a second one I'd go larger - not smaller.

large gets my vote.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I also have the medium and a KJ Jr.  We sometimes use the medium more depending on what we're cooking.  I never bothered getting the indirect stuff for it because it works out well to dedicate it to direct while the large is mostly indirect.
    Options
    Large.
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Another one stepping into the realms of Wallet Genocide.......welcome to BGE....
    I would go up in size, not smaller. I have an XL and use the heck out of that thing. A large would be a great match for your Medium.
    I have been wanting a medium for a while, myself, to finish my collection. (I also have a MM I use for camping and tailgating.)
    Go big. You will not regret it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    If you want to "pair", go with another medium.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I started with a medium and loved it. However, I found myself lacking space - especially when I wanted to use a pan, Dutch oven or baking stone. 

I eventually sold the medium, replaced it with a large and a very short time later, added a Mini Max. I am much happier with this setup. 

Performance-wise, I thought the medium was by actually the best of the three, but unfortunately, it was too big to be truly portable and not big enough for a great number of cooks. IMO, the versatility of my current setup is far preferable (albeit pricier, of course!).
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Large - it will cook most similarly to the medium, so you cooking adaption time won't be long. And you'll be able to get a brisket on it. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
  • garthb4903
    Options
    I started with a medium and loved it. However, I found myself lacking space - especially when I wanted to use a pan, Dutch oven or baking stone. 

I eventually sold the medium, replaced it with a large and a very short time later, added a Mini Max. I am much happier with this setup. 

Performance-wise, I thought the medium was by actually the best of the three, but unfortunately, it was too big to be truly portable and not big enough for a great number of cooks. IMO, the versatility of my current setup is far preferable (albeit pricier, of course!).
    Thx @GrateEggspectations, I was lying in bed last night actually thinking "maybe I should sell the M and get a L and MM", so your post resonates.  It sounds like the overwhelming consensus is to go to the L, thanks for the feedback!  Need to go to work to pay for the new habit...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'm gonna go with the majority and say large as well but add in that if you can wait and there is one near you, why don't you wait and pick one up at an Eggfest? It will be cheaper and only used once on that day.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    XL
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    New member here, I've been enjoying my medium for a year now, mainly for weekend grilling and a one time slow cook (pork butt, it was great).  I'm wanting a 2nd egg as the medium is just slightly too small for grilling and vegetables (plus I'm hooked!).  I'm thinking about a Mini-Max (vegetables and sides while M is grilling/smoking), but then again a L would be cool for the sheer size/versatility.  Of course, there is the philosophy of getting another medium in order to save on accessories.  I've read through the forum but the more I read the more I go down the rabbit hole of confusion!  At my local shop I can get a MM for $500, M for $725, and a L for $900.  Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially if you started with a medium.  Grazie! 
    Get both..... =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Get both..... =)
    Watch this guy,...... killer wings, perfect cocktails, he will have you purchasing each size and Blackstones too. Don't ask me how I know.....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • garthb4903
    Options
    @YukonRon I have a feeling I'm going to have to watch all you guys, or else my backyard will be like a kitten foster home for BGE's- you say you'll adopt them out to good homes but you end up keeping them!

• YukonRon
    Options
    @YukonRon I have a feeling I'm going to have to watch all you guys, or else my backyard will be like a kitten foster home for BGE's- you say you'll adopt them out to good homes but you end up keeping them!

You learn fast here, or you go broke.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    YukonRon said:

You learn fast here, or you go broke.
    Between buying accessories for the BGE or different cuts of meat, you will spend more money than you planned by coming to this forum, so be careful.  That being said, there are a lot of great ideas on the forum.

As far as original question, I would vote XL, but you didnt put that as an option, so I vote Large.

As other have said, Large/MM seems to be a really combo if you are having 2 BGE.  The Large doesnt have a lot of direct grilling area, so the MM would be nice to have with it.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @garthb4903: You will eventually make the switch and you'll be pleased when you do - it's just a matter of time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Save the Medium. I wouldn't trade it for a MiniMax. Unless you're planning on the Minimax to be portable. The large is my most used egg. It also has the most accessories available for it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Save the Medium. I wouldn't trade it for a MiniMax.
    +1. The MM is hit or miss with the folks here. The medium is universally loved. 

Pull the guts out of the medium and it's lighter than the MM... 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    If I had a do over, I'd go XL and medium.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    @garthb4903 welcome to another Oregonian.  There's not many of us on here.  I started with a medium, then sold that to my buddy to upgrade to a large.  I have since added a mini and KJ Jr.  My buddy also added a large KJ.   So basically, that's 2 more for the large.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    XL + Medium == best combo
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    XL + Medium.
    Had XL wife bought me the medium for Christmas.  Great combo.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    My wife bought me a Medium, loved it, but once in a while just too small.  She gave me a Large a year or two later, and the combination is PERFECT!  I use the Medium a lot more often, it's just perfect most of the time.  But once in a while it's just not big enough, and once in a rare while the Large isn't big enough and I've got both of them going at the same time.  It's a great combination.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Cool, you're at the opposite end of the valley from me!  That said, I have a LBGE (6 years) an a KJ Jr (just over a year).  Both are great and versatile.  You would be well served to consider either a L or a KJ Jr in conjunction with your M.  Good flexibility.  
    If you'd like to drive down here (after the snow melts!) to see what my pair looks like, you're welcome.  Or, if you are down here or anyway and just want to hook up for coffee and talk eggs, just send me a message and we'll make it work.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon