Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Direct

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is it ok to cook chicken directly on a NONraised grill?

Comments

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    1stmedcook.jpg
    <p />DannyT,
    No problem once you get a steady 350 degree fire going.
    I do use an elevated set up on the parts if I don't feel like tending to them so often.[p]medwing.jpg[p]sitter2.jpg

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    DannyT,
    Yes it is. You did not say what pieces (or whole) that you are cooking. For thighs or drumsticks I really like 275 direct for an hour ir more. Works fine on a non raised grate, you just have to move them around a little more. For boneless skinless breasts, a non raised grill is what I prefer...and I do 400-450 a few minutes a side. Just some idears.
    Happy cookin
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • dperrin
    dperrin Posts: 21
    Options
    An old thread, but wanted to ask for thoughts.  I am afraid to cook chicken direct anymore, as I have found the dripping of the chicken fat to cause an acrid smoke that imparts an awful taste in the chicken. How does raising the grid help with this?

Thanks,
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't do it. I like it raised direct. It reminds me of the old Weber kettle method and / or an open pit style. I do mine @ 350-400. I agree that chicken fat is just about as bad as it gets. I usually let the egg burn off for a while after I'm done to burn up the grease on the lump. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    100% DIRECT chicken cooks all raised at 400/425. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dperrin
    Options
    Maybe a dumb question but how does raising the grid change the dripping fat issue?  
  • Mickey
    Options
    dperrin said:
    Maybe a dumb question but how does raising the grid change the dripping fat issue?  
    Never been an issue. Done a ton of turkeys, chickens, parts. 400/425 takes care of the fat dripping. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Mickey
    You should put this in your signature file:

"100% DIRECT everything cooks all raised at 400/425"

;)=)  

Options
    I just cooked bone in/skin on thighs tonight. I cooked them raised, direct at around 400 and they came out great. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Mickey
    You should put this in your signature file:

"100% DIRECT everything cooks all raised at 400/425"

;)=)  

You nailed it. 

• dperrin
    Options
    Thanks Mickey, but what is different with the higher temp? I am feeling really dumb on this...do you cook with the lid open or something?
  • Mickey
    Options
    dperrin said:
    Thanks Mickey, but what is different with the higher temp? I am feeling really dumb on this...do you cook with the lid open or something?
    Higher temp, direct, and raised. It just works on chicken and turkey.  

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    @dperrin, in my experience, having the chicken raised does significantly lessen the acrid flavor one can get from the fat dripping on the coals.  It gets it out of the "splash zone" if you will.  It also allows it to cook a little more evenly as it is not so close to the coals. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I haven't had luck doing it direct but will have to do it again sometime.

Gerhard
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    I also like chikin direct.  One thing you might consider is the area of your lit coals.  If the coals directly below the drippings are lit, you get the good old-time flavor.  If the fat drips on unlit coals, you may be getting the flavor you don't like.  Plus you end up w/ a bunch of unburned fat on the coals the next time you light up.

When I do chikin direct, I try to make sure the whole area of coals under the bird is lit.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • dperrin
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice.  Will give it another try.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I cook chicken raised direct every time except when I low and slow with Jerk.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I cook chicken raised direct all the time. Sometimes, not raised. Parts as well as spatched whole birds. I have never noticed any kind of off taste from dripping fat. Ever. Always excellent.

IMO, fried chicken tastes even better, but is since it's rather unhealthy, I almost never cook it. Until now. This Christmas, my son bought me an Air Fryer. I had never even heard of one before, but it is now my favorite way to cook chicken! Hardly any oil, crispy and extraordinary! Every bit as good as the "fried" chicken we all know and love. Getting ready to cook some tonight. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• clemsontyger97
    Options
    Boil it.   Problem solved
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Buy a kettle.  Your chicken will improve significantly.  

Tossed these over the fire briefly at the end.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."