Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New KJ Firebox Design

Options

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

That new cap sure does look like Smokeware's.  The racking system looks like an early CGS model.

I can't find a good picture of the KJ cap but from what I see they don't look to similar. Maybe just me.

As far as CGS racks, I have an 8 year old one and it looks nothing like the KJ one so CGS has nothing to worry about.

I could be wrong because I can't seem to find good pictures of the recent KJ upgrades.
    Oh, they are different. They take the idea and designs and tweak them enough to pass as their own. 
    What, a vented cap? Only so many ways to make one IMHO.

FWIW I own every rack TJV sells (and some he no longer sells) with doubles on most because I have two large BGE's. Silly me thought I'd save money buying another large because all my accessories would work LOL. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    It looks to me on line the KJ is still about the same price or even more then the BGE's.  I chose BGE because of the dealer and price over the KJ and the BGE dealer is minutes from my house where the nearest KJ dealer was 45 minutes and were not easy to deal with on price.  If the KJ was available closer and I would have gotten the deal like I got on my XL I would have gotten one, but this forum also is a plus to me.  It seems to be better then KJ's IMO. 

I don't see comparing the BGE to the KJ is like RITC to YETI.  BGE and KJ are pretty closely priced for the most part.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    Here are pictures of the new cap and hinge. they say the hinge counter balanced and makes opening the big joe easier. I like both ideas. It appears that the hinge works well enough that it even holds the dome open. 
    VA Beach
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    VB_egger said:
    Here are pictures of the new cap and hinge. they say the hinge counter balanced and makes opening the big joe easier. I like both ideas. It appears that the hinge works well enough that it even holds the dome open. 
    I wonder if that would fit a BGE? I have a Smokeware on my egg that sits out in the elements and the main reason I like it is because it acts as a rain cap. Other then that I see no difference in performance over the DFMT. I like buying gadgets and would try that on my other egg just to try it.
  • VB_egger
    Options
    I'm not sure. I did notice the sw cap from my egg did not fit my KJ. 
    VA Beach
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    Also, it allows me to keep my egg vented which cuts down on mold when I go through periods of not using it.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    VB_egger said:
    I'm not sure. I did notice the sw cap from my egg did not fit my KJ. 
    It doesn't, you need to buy the KJ sized one as the diameter is slightly larger.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    BUT IT'S RED!!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options

That new cap sure does look like Smokeware's.  The racking system looks like an early CGS model.

I can't find a good picture of the KJ cap but from what I see they don't look to similar. Maybe just me.

As far as CGS racks, I have an 8 year old one and it looks nothing like the KJ one so CGS has nothing to worry about.

I could be wrong because I can't seem to find good pictures of the recent KJ upgrades.
    Oh, they are different. They take the idea and designs and tweak them enough to pass as their own. 
    And Smokeware likely got their idea from the many folks that have been using $5 galvanized roof vent caps on their kamados over the last few decades.

Multi level grids? How many folks have done that in a myriad of ways on their grills over the last few decades?

Incremental improvements in existing ideas is not the same thing as true innovation.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    BUT IT'S RED!!!!
    That means it's Communist right? 
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    FWIW, Trump prefers the red one.
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    I figure what the heck, this thread can't live much longer anyway.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    That stand looks pitiful. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    From KJ Big Cheese-  

Had a fun day at the office today showcasing our new product to the staff and Amber, our new employee.  They had seen pieces and parts but never the final final production models.  We had a few FedExed over for some big meetings we are having over the next few weeks.  We ended up comparing a Large BGE (purchased in July) to our new Classic.  You just can't compare the two grills.  There are 10 significant differences / upgrades

- New patented Top Vent
    - Hinge.........you have to feel the difference.  
    - Thicker, Stronger bands (No Alignment Issues)
    - Stainless Steel hardware / Bigger heavier duty hardware
    - Commercial Gaskets / Night and day difference 
    - Flexible Cooking System as Standard.  This is huge
    - New patented Fire Box
    - Patented Pull out Ash Drawer
    - Better Side Shelves and handle.  KJ is 5X heavier
    - Bigger Thermometer
    - Better Cart

There is a reason the BGE don't want KJ's sitting next to BGEs on a dealers floor.  They don't seem to have a problem with Primo.  This is 2017.  What other manufacturers try to bully their dealers into only selling their brand?  I have said it before.  Consumers will pick the winners and losers.  It is hard to sell inferior products in today's transparent world.
    Well there you have it. KJ is the best, just ask them. Game over. 
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    BUT IT'S RED!!!!
    That means it's Communist right? 
    No, it means it's faster!
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

FWIW I own every rack TJV sells (and some he no longer sells) with doubles on most because I have two large BGE's. Silly me thought I'd save money buying another large because all my accessories would work LOL. 
    You think it's coincidence the old one looked like the BGE cap and the new one resembles the SW cap? 
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
    KJ=Kamodo Junk
  • Hungry Joe
    Options

You think it's coincidence the old one looked like the BGE cap and the new one resembles the SW cap? 

I don't think they look all that similar. Not enough to see it as stealing.

Just my opinion.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:

And Smokeware likely got their idea from the many folks that have been using $5 galvanized roof vent caps on their kamados over the last few decades.

Multi level grids? How many folks have done that in a myriad of ways on their grills over the last few decades?

Incremental improvements in existing ideas is not the same thing as true innovation.
    Point taken, but I don't really ever remember seeing anything close to the level of thought and refinement as SW until they made one. I saw rain caps added to the daisy. 
  • Hungry Joe
    edited January 2017
    Options

I mean really, can you show me something totally different? Even KomodoKamado which in my opinion is the top of the line used a similar cap to another POS kamodo that went out of business. There is not that much room to differentiate.
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    Also, refining and improving other people's ideas isn't the same as stealing them - that's how the world works, how things get better, in every industry, it's called evolution.  "A better mouse trap" and all that.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    That stand looks pitiful. 
    LOL I thought so too.  It's like something the inmates would make.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    The kj dome looks kinda shallow or boxy 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Also I've looked at the kj forum and it doesn't look very active
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I trust high quality Mexican ceramics over risky Chinese ceramics for a cooking vessel. I hope they don't find lead in them like the toy scandal. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I trust high quality Mexican ceramics over risky Chinese ceramics for a cooking vessel. I hope they don't find lead in them like the toy scandal. 
    I hear the part the food touches has, like, 15% chromium.
    Options
    Note to self:  Kamado Joe thread great way to stir hornet's nest.
    Stirring up fanboys tho is like shooting fish in a barrel. Just way too easy.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• VB_egger
    Options
    What makes the difference in the ceramics where you would say high quality and risky? @pgprescott. Or are you just saying that?  Honest question, I've never read or heard anything to make me think that. 
    VA Beach
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Chinese manufacturing quality is way up, surpassed Mexico manufacturing quality years ago, back when Bill Clinton ran things.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky