Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Hearing Protection while shooting

2»

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    You can get custom molded in ear plugs for about $40 if you look around a bit.  Call an audiologist in your area and ask them.

These work very well and are convenient for other purposes such as using power equipment without the bulk 
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Darian I am very happy with these. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited January 2017
    @Eggcelsior, speaking of gangs and guns reminds me of a segment on 60 Minutes years ago. They were interviewing a gang in L.A. and one of them was twirling a revolver and telling the reporter what a badass they were, when BAM!!, he blew a hole in his chest. One of the funniest things I have ever seen.
    Your sense of humor and mine arent the same. It wasn't really funny when my next door neighbor killed himself twirling a .44Mag. He was a couple years older than me. Maybe 14 or 15. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Mickey said:

I think I'm going to give these a try.
    Thanks Mickey.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Get the electronic ones and don't look back. You don't need to spend allot either. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    The gang I shoot with can not afford anything fancy like ear plugs. One of us stands behind the shooter and puts their index fingers in his ears, someone else stands behind that guy and does the same thing, lather rinse, repeat until the last guy is far enough away so his hearing is not in jeopardy. To make sure the last guy is far enough away we all pitched in and bought one of these.
    https://www.amazon.com/Extech-SDL600-Sound-Meter-Logger/dp/B006L88YA8/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1483563963&sr=8-33&keywords=sound+meter&refinements=p_72:2661618011
    That's just about as stupid as one can be.
    You win!!!!!!
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Hearing protection at the range?  Never used it.  How will you react to real world self defense?  Hold on  I'll get my ear muffs?  Oh wait the door bell is ringing.  Dayum kids, nobody is there again.  There it is again.  No it's the wife telling me to turn down the TV.  Anyway you don't need hearing protection.  I did turn it down!!!!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• At the range and anytime I'm plinking or shooting lots of rounds (think prairie dog carnage), I use the foam inserts in addition to a relatively inexpensive (under $50) pair of electronic over-the-ear muffs.

When hunting, I never hear the shot anyway and have never yet experienced "buck fever" either. My normal free-range organic grocery shopping hunting rifles are .300 and .340 Weatherbys - for moose, elk, caribou, and bear.

The only time recoil ever affected me is when I handloaded some 500gr hot loads for my .458 Winchester Mag camp bear gun and bench sighted it in one afternoon with 40+ rounds (Alaska Montague Island hunt prep). Not that I am afflicted with recoil flinch (I'm not), but my shoulder was black, blue, yellow and purple for the next few days.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    bucky925 said:
    Hearing protection at the range?  Never used it.  How will you react to real world self defense?  Hold on  I'll get my ear muffs?  Oh wait the door bell is ringing.  Dayum kids, nobody is there again.  There it is again.  No it's the wife telling me to turn down the TV.  Anyway you don't need hearing protection.  I did turn it down!!!!
    How exactly does real world self defense work for deaf people?  I guess you have to see them coming.  "mah doorbell light is on again, I think" ;)
    Mickey said:

Micky, I was pretty sure I had these same ones and I looked forever and finally found them.  Damn cat had 'em.

That is stock photo. But I already have paid uncle sam quite a bit in tax stamps lol..

Im on the fence line for these being tax stamped VS a reg back ground check.

@EggHeadinFlorida I have a ton of foreign people that come through the gun shop/range that I work at. Some of the strictest gun control countries out there actively encourage suppressor use. In fact, countries such as New Zealand require them, from what I'm told. 
    It won't happen during the first year. There's other stuff the pass/fix/repeal first. Maybe it will come to a vote in 2018. I don't think it should be an NFA item. I might be fine with limiting it to CHL holders or something. They've already done fingerprint and background checks. Show a CHL, walk out with it that day.

I know France requires suppressors for hunting. The prices range from $25 for the cheapest .22 suppressor to maybe $700 for the top of the line best suppressor available. There aren't any that are branded and cost more than that. 

As for ear protection, I use electronic and love them. If I don't want the electronic part, then I just turned them off. Mine are Walker's Game Ear. And when hunting, I only hunt suppressed, except when bird hunting. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Photo Egg said:

@Photo Egg I will say this once...friends don't let friends shoot loud guns. 

Having said that, depending on how well you hear, I would double up on a pair of molded ones (you can get them done pretty cheap the next time you go in to get your ears checked) and a pair of external muffs. 

But I would strongly suggest a pair of battery operated ones. You won't go back. 

(Before anyone asks, yes I have stamps for these. I try to fund the ATF Christmas party every year)

I do have a AR-10 .308 and a H&K Tactical .45 that I would like to make quiet.
    My Colt Ar-15 is the match target 20" heavy barrel and the muzzle is pinned and not threaded. I need to find a place to send it to have it threaded for standard break. Any ideas?
    My H&K USP Tactical 45 is my favorite pistol. I have a Silencerco Osprey 45 for it. It is so fun to shoot suppressed. 
    A local gunsmith should be able to remove the pinned brake and it should be threaded underneath. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Toxarch said:

My H&K USP Tactical 45 is my favorite pistol. I have a Silencerco Osprey 45 for it. It is so fun to shoot suppressed. 
    A local gunsmith should be able to remove the pinned brake and it should be threaded underneath. 
    Thank you. Never thought it might be already threaded. Was told otherwise but I will check into this more. That would be great.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Photo Egg said:
    Toxarch said:

Thank you. Never thought it might be already threaded. Was told otherwise but I will check into this more. That would be great.
    Odd that they would pin and weld the brake on a 20" barrel. Usually it's only done on 14.5" barrels to make them a legal (non-NFA) 16" barrel with a pinned brake or flash hider.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• @Toxarch I said the same thing in a PM yesterday. 

@Photo Egg
    I got your answer for you. If it's stock it is simply threaded according to Colts website. I would take a heat gun and heat it up for a few minutes, then wrap it in a cloth and get a wrench and take it off.  You really don't have to get it too hot, remember what they put it on there with is "supposed" to be heat resistant.  That heat gun will not get the barrel near as hot as a hundred or so rounds out the front end. But also if it gets too hot those threads will swell and you can strip them. Then you can put on whatever brake you want. I suggest putting it back on with Rocksett. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

• In college it snowed one day real bad and we were all locked in the dorms. One of my buddies was good and liquored up standing outside having a smoke. 

A girl passed us and he told her he wanted to take her inside and wear her thighs like ear muffs. She swatted him in the crotch while passing us. It. Was. Glorious. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN