Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Controling temp on a Medium verse an XL

Options
For those who have both a couple of questions.

I have had an XL for 2+ years and my wife got me a medium for Christmas.  Cooked chicken on it last night and got it up to about 400 and shut the screen down to about an inch.  This is what I would do on my XL and it would stabilize in around 425.  Came out about 20 minutes later and she was roaring away at 650+. 

Just curious if you need the daisy wheel on this smaller cooker to hold lower temps or being smaller I need to start shutting it down around 350 or so to keep it around 425.

I did the boil test on the temp gauge and it is rock solid on 100c.  I know they are all different, just looking for some words of wisdom from those who have both.

Also what are your settings for low and slow temps.

Thanks,
James

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I leave the daisy wheel pedals open and with the bottom open about an inch or so, my egg hangs out between 450-500F. I've found that the pedals are the best way to regulate the temp on the medium. 

I cooked a butt on the medium the other day and I had the bottom open about the thickness of a credit card and the pedals barely cracked and I ran 250-270F 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    The medium is a little firecracker. She'll get away from you quickly if you don't pay attention. 
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    The XL is like driving a Cadillac and the medium is like a Ferrari. You'll love the combo once you get the hang of it. 
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

It's about air flow and lump quantity. More lump needs more air for the same temp in a smaller egg. In my medium, no daisy wheel, screen open about 1/4" for 370*. It took me a few tries to 'dial in' the mini (my workhorse) after learning on the medium.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    There are lots of variables at work here.  I've replaced the Daisy Wheel with a Smokeware cap, and the stock fire grate with a High Que.  I need to have the bottom vent shut more on the medium than I would on the XL (which also has the High Que and Smokeware.  How the lump is lit can also affect the temp.  It is a matter of messing with it some to get it dialed in.  I find the Medium much easier to lower the temp in, as you would expect with not as much thermal mass. 
    Santa Paula, CA