Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ vs. Flameboss | Recommendations?

2»

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    For those of you with the FB 200 how does the alert notifications work I know there are options to text you but during an overnight if your sleeping is there anyway to alert you like the maverick does?

I currently have the partyq with a maverick and it's great for the alert feature if the pit temp is over or under it beeps until turned off I think that's one thing the FB might lack for me to pull the trigger on one...hopefully there is something similar on it?
    I set my alert on my phone louder.  The message wakes me up, if you are a heavy sleeper it may not work for you.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2017
    For those of you with the FB 200 how does the alert notifications work I know there are options to text you but during an overnight if your sleeping is there anyway to alert you like the maverick does?

I currently have the partyq with a maverick and it's great for the alert feature if the pit temp is over or under it beeps until turned off I think that's one thing the FB might lack for me to pull the trigger on one...hopefully there is something similar on it?
    The text comes from the same number, so just set a special alert tone in your phone and make it a priority/approved number if you keep your phone on DND overnight.

If you want to mess around with it, send me an email and your can log into mine.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited January 2017
    The FB has a pit alarm and meat alarm on the unit which will beep until the issue is resolved. This is in addition to texting. Download the manual and see the section on alarms.

IIRC, it will continue texting you at the interval you select until issue is fixed also.

Practical question: If you won't hear a text on the phone by your bedside, how will you hear the alarm from the unit outside?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    My two pennies...

take a look at the Stoker as well...

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/

Not sure why Flameboss and Digi-que get all the love on here...

Customer service is why.  The Stoker folks have a poor reputation for responding to customers.  May be different now, but with simple to use, capable units, with fantastic customer service no reason to test those waters again.
    I think the customer service you may be referring to is "why cant I view my stoker away from my house." and many people think the folks are network guru's at Rocks..

I have never had but positive feedback from the folks there. 

what ports does the FB use to access your network, and does it retain any of your security settings from your router?

With the stoker, you have more options to keep your network locked down....but hey, what do I know...
    Your post indicates that you know all this, but I will answer for those who don't.

FB gets an IP address like anything else on your network. It retains your SSID and encryption key like everything else on your network. It uploads to the FB cloud, presumably using standard HTTP/HTPS ports as I haven't had to open anything special to use it.

The CyberQ, on the other hand, is a bit more complicated - you connect directly to it (no cloud), which is fine when on the same network but when outside of your network, you need to open a port to access it and be sure traffic is properly forwarded to the CyberQ.

PS - just got a Stoker. Looking forward to playing with it.

Not being snarky, but i just to like having better control of my network environment...chances are, no one will ever get hacked via the flame boss; however, if an out side device has access to your internal network that's a bad thing if you don't know how its doing it....

as for the stoker units...I have cooked with the same temp probes in my older white unit now for ~5 years with out a failure...

↓32° outside- yep
    ↑90° outside-yep
    ↑350° inside the cooker - yep

I have HEARD that the FB and digi probes constantly fail every year or so...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• For those of you with the FB 200 how does the alert notifications work I know there are options to text you but during an overnight if your sleeping is there anyway to alert you like the maverick does?

The text comes from the same number, so just set a special alert tone in your phone and make it a priority/approved number if you keep your phone on DND overnight.

If you want to mess around with it, send me an email and your can log into mine.
    That would definitely work didn't think about that.
  • The FB has a pit alarm and meat alarm on the unit which will beep until the issue is resolved. This is in addition to texting. Download the manual and see the section on alarms.

IIRC, it will continue texting you at the interval you select until issue is fixed also.

Practical question: If you won't hear a text on the phone by your bedside, how will you hear the alarm from the unit outside?
    That is the info I was hoping to hear that it will continue to text you until at certain intervals until the issue is resolved.

I am not really worried about the alarm from the unit outside I was more concerned with the text message alerts only being sent once and then never again on the odd chance that I do miss it.

I will download the FB and give it a read over appreciate the info! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    My two pennies...

take a look at the Stoker as well...

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/

Not sure why Flameboss and Digi-que get all the love on here...

Customer service is why.  The Stoker folks have a poor reputation for responding to customers.  May be different now, but with simple to use, capable units, with fantastic customer service no reason to test those waters again.
    I think the customer service you may be referring to is "why cant I view my stoker away from my house." and many people think the folks are network guru's at Rocks..

I have never had but positive feedback from the folks there. 

what ports does the FB use to access your network, and does it retain any of your security settings from your router?

With the stoker, you have more options to keep your network locked down....but hey, what do I know...
    Your post indicates that you know all this, but I will answer for those who don't.

FB gets an IP address like anything else on your network. It retains your SSID and encryption key like everything else on your network. It uploads to the FB cloud, presumably using standard HTTP/HTPS ports as I haven't had to open anything special to use it.

The CyberQ, on the other hand, is a bit more complicated - you connect directly to it (no cloud), which is fine when on the same network but when outside of your network, you need to open a port to access it and be sure traffic is properly forwarded to the CyberQ.

PS - just got a Stoker. Looking forward to playing with it.

Not being snarky, but i just to like having better control of my network environment...chances are, no one will ever get hacked via the flame boss; however, if an out side device has access to your internal network that's a bad thing if you don't know how its doing it....

as for the stoker units...I have cooked with the same temp probes in my older white unit now for ~5 years with out a failure...

↓32° outside- yep
    ↑90° outside-yep
    ↑350° inside the cooker - yep

I have HEARD that the FB and digi probes constantly fail every year or so...
    You asked why Stoker gets no love here.  I provided one of the reasons.  Perception of customer service.  I am not here to debate the merits of that, simply providing a reason.

It is the reason I personally never considered Stoker.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Tspud1 said:
    not any longer. There might be some old stock, but that's it. BBQ Guru changed their business model and only sell direct online. no vendors at all.
  • Flameboss 200.  Easy set up.  And, it just works!!!
    Norwell, MA. LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Following.  Thanks for the comments so far

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95